What bears do in the woods.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Birdsdo it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it. Yes they all need to goto the loo and so do we.

Dealingwith waste out in the wilds is an often not talked about subject asit's deemed not one for open discussion. It's thought of asunsavoury.

Thereare tricks to delay the action and there are others for disposing ofwaste in a more environmentally acceptable way. What I want todiscuss and learn from others are ways that you've learned to dealwith waste so as not to turn our woods and hills into one big opentoilet.

Oneof the things that prompted this was the fact that one of the reasonsthat wild camping was banned in Loch Lomond was that the Rangersfound that during the summer months that this honey-pot area took ona less than sweet fragrance. The whole area was littered with paperflower wreaths of toilet paper and human excrement; not nice for theRangers to deal with and not the public face that we wanted topresent to the world in Scotland’s first National Park.

NowI've always been quite careful in how I've dealt with my waste, beingbrought up in the country and working the woods professionally Ididn't want to “leave my mark” on the land I held so dear. I evenhad in my library the wonderful book (sadly missing as someoneborrowed it and never returned it- you know who you are!); “How ToS**t In The Woods.”

“HowTo S**t In The Woods.” is a little book that I'd recommend most ofus to read or at least borrow and flick through. It deals withanswering the call of nature in most environments and dealing withthe aftermath! It introduced me with the idea of packing my humanwaste out of the environment; which is something of an anathema tomost of us in the UK but a fact of life in many American NationalParks. It also deals with “cat holes” & “frosting” andinnumerable other methods depending on where you find yourselfneeding to answer the call of the wild! It also has the best sectionof water procurement and purification that I've read in any tome.Indeed it was the basis of many teaching sessions the shop as regardswater purifiers.

ButI've also picked up a few other tricks since then and would love tohear of any that you have too.

Oneof the tricks I learned was from an old mate in the British Army. Hewas a sniper to trade and we often discussed shooting and laying inwait for our quarry. I did a little work from “high seats” inthose days where I'd lie in wait from a raised platform to managedeer. One of the last things I wanted to be doing was give away myposition by clambering up and down to go to the loo; making noise andleaving a scent trail. One of his best tricks was to take certainmedicines prophylactically . This meant that if going out for a periodof a day or two taking “loperimide/imodium”. This stops youneeding a number two whilst out and so negated the fact that you haveto deal with going to the loo. A boon for the shooter lying in wait.If you're on other medication like certain codine based drugs it canalso have the same effect as a side effect. Not that I'm advocatingthat you dose up on pain killers just to avoid going to the loo.

Aswell as number “twos” there is also number “ones”.For usblokes this is easier. We're naturally equipped with a prettyefficient natural dispersal system. Most forest managers justrecommend having a widdle against a tree. It's got to be a prettyheavily used area before this becomes a problem in the UK, mainlydown to the amount of rain that will wash it away. But precautionshave to be taken to avoid water courses, fruit that others may pickand risking involuntarily exposing oneself to other forest users. Inrecent years the ladies amongst us have had the introduction of theShewee®. This easily washable "cup & funnel" allows ladies to have a wee standing up (and even write their name in the snow should the urge take them.

Onthe water course front, organisms like giardia were unknown in theU.S.A 'till the 70's. But with folk travelling abroad, coming homeand answering the call of nature too close to water courses it's nowfelt that there is no safe ground water to drink in the wholecontinent. (Or should that be Incontinent!) Within the space of 15-20years a whole continent was invaded by a foreign parasite that wasdown to human carelessness.

Oneof the other things we have to take into account is that our waste,whether excrement or food waste may have an effect on fragileecosystems. In high “alpine” areas like the tops of some Scottishmountains the fragile plant life doesn't take kindly to theintroduction of introduced chemicals. This can be human poo or assimple as what we might assume is a natural thing that will bebiodegradable. That banana skin that you leave out to rot canintroduce enough potassium to adversely affect the local flora,taking years to recover, if at all. So have the mantra “that if youcarry it in, carry it out.”

Oneof the other tricks for sensitive areas is as above, carrying outyour poo. This may seem an anathema to us in the UK, but it'ssomething that may become more common as time goes on and numbersvisiting sites increases. It's not too difficult to learn to poo intoa plastic bag and carry it out in a tube. A section of plastic wastepipe with a cap on each end to carry bags of poo can be strapped tothe outside of the rucksack without the smell of it driving you mad.Though the disposal of the waste at the end of the trip can beproblematic. Human waste isn't supposed to be done in household wastebins. In the U.S.A. at trail heads they often have special wastebins. One trick in the UK where this isn't prevalent yet is to usethose dog poo bins that are common; though I'm not sure of thelegality of that.

Incamp there's also the disposal of food and dish washing waste. Muchof the food waste can either be safely disposed of in the ubiquitousfire or carried out. But many of us dispose of waste dish water inunacceptable ways. It shouldn't be washed in the local stream as thisputs unwanted food and chemicals into the waterways that othersdownstream may end up having to deal with. One trick I learned fromsome clever folk on BCUK was a strainer bag. It was at a multipleoccupancy camp where there were a fair few of us eating and livingnear the rather beautiful Loch Achery. As is the want of BCUK folkthere was a lot of eating going on, and Dutch Ovens and pots had tobe washed. The solution was to fill a bag (in this case a plasticone, though natural fibre ones would be even better) with ferns anddried grass and fire charcoal. The waste water was pored into this (agood distance from the water) so that the food particulate chemicalscould be extracted from the water. The bag could then either beburned or carried out and disposed of. One of the other things that alot of “bushcrafters” seem to be guilty of and is a bugbear ofmine is cooking in tinfoil parcels. I'm of the no to tinfoil brigade,but if you must. then don’t throw the remainders in the fire; itdoesn’t burn or breakdown and leaves unsightly rubbish lying about.

Solets hear your methods of waste management and disposal, I've touchedon a few and would love to hear of more. These things can be carriedon into normal life. One of the things that British Red and I bothrevel in is the fact that our neighbours comment on how empty ourdomestic bins are. That's partly due to how we live our lives inregards to procurement of goods but also in how we deal with theaftermath.

Pleasepost up, but also remember that this is a family forum, so how wephrase talking about waste is another part of dealing with waste, wedon't want to hear unsavoury terms being used. I know that this hasbeen done on the threads before, but thought that it may be time fora “fresh” look at things as attitudes have changed.

ATB.
GB.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i'm not afraid to tell people of my habits :)

With regards to waste this is how I operate. First I will deal with waste in the outdoors and second with waste at home. In the outdoors I bury my number 2’s well away from watercourses, if paths are in the area I go well away from them too, I never take anything at all to wipe my bottom like toilet roll etc and just use whatever is at hand such as balls of grass/leaves/ etc or snow in the winter which also goes in to the same pit waste is disposed into and then covered over. I have on occasion washed my bottom with water from a bottle with my bare hand (not hands) over the same pit when water in camp has been plentiful, I always wash hands immediately afterwards by rubbing with ash/soil/sand first and then rubbing with grass/leaves etc and rinsing with water only, I never carry any soap or cleaning substances at all, in fact the only toiletries I carry is toothpaste and toothbrush, that’s it nothing else at all. This might not seem hygienic to some but I have never suffered ill health through it (and I dislike the use and polluting effect of many cleaning substances, detergents/deodorants etc). Regarding having a pee (I am male) I confess I am not too fussy where I go, the only thing I am careful of in this respect is not to pee in watercourses. Regarding food waste well I just never have any at all as I eat all I cook, I usually only take one cooking pot and clean that by rubbing inside with grass/leaves/ash/used tea bag etc and a bit of water. Sometimes I take a small frying pan which if cleaned at all is treated in same way, just a wipe with a bit of foliage. Any other waste such as food packaging etc I carry back out with me in a waste bag, should it happen that I have any food waste I would leave that out of sight for the wildlife to eat but as I say I eat all I cook. I sometimes use a hobo stove so any burnables are sometimes burned in that, often yesterdays food packet is tomorrows fire starter for hobo stove. As I have said I don’t carry anything at all to clean pots or myself other than toothpaste & toothbrush, that may seem disgusting to some but I find some other peoples habits disgusting too. --- Regarding waste at home well the dustbin men must think my home is vacant as there is so little rubbish put out. I am supplied by the authorities with no less than five different containers to segregate my rubbish into, three wheelie bins and two small plastic tubs (wheelie bins cover:- garden waste/recyclables/general non recyclable waste, the small tubs are both for food waste, one to be kept in kitchen and one to be kept outdoors to transfer the same waste into). However despite such a vast array of bins they are hardly ever used, I put out one wheelie bin about every third or fourth week only and nearly always less than half full, the contents is mostly food packaging, I have no food waste to speak of (I was brought up with a strong don’t waste food ethic through necessity). It never ceases to amaze me at the ridiculous amount of rubbish some people put out for the binmen, close examination of such would be very revealing of peoples true habits, not the habits they claim to have.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I second your recommendation for "How to **** in the woods". Well worth a read.

Modern technology means that men are no longer the only ones who can pee up the side of a tree, whether with the reusable model or the single use version, women can too.

Does anyone else mark their cat hole position with a pair of crossed sticks or twigs? Just so the next person comes along and doesn't try to dig up your relatively fresh offering?

Julia

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers for the replies folks. When i was talking about food waste in camp I didn't mean uneaten stuff, I meant any detritus sticking to the pan that didn't get gobbled up. I too am too much of a glutton and was brought up to clear my plate. On home shopping front, most of the veg I buy comes from a small greengrocer and she just piles everything into my bag. Since I mainly seem to eat veg and I make my own bread this cuts a lot of packaging waste. Any peelings go in the composter outside. Back in the day I didn't by meat either; I shot or fished everything so again this cut out packaging. I do miss having a fire at home though, great for cutting down rubbish. You can even use things like potato peelings to bank down the fire for the night to keep it in for the morning. Like yourself I'm not huge on the potions and lotions, though I do like a good simple soap, traditionally used a coal tar soap though of late I've been using the Stupidly Simple Stuff, (which reminds me I need to order more).

Julia, I'm generally in out of the way areas when I'm out, but the crossed stick idea is good, though I worry that if it was in the woods nearer to home that some of the local kids may think it was treasure and dig it up - still they'd only do it once:lmao:

We used to sell heaps of the Sheewee's come DoE time and also for concerts. Though a lot of the steady sales were for ladies travelling abroad where they didn't want to be too adventurous with the local loos. I do think that they're a great idea though the evil person in me remembers the proto Sheewee that didn't have a box. We kidded on the new staff that they were facemask pieces for altitude climbers air tanks. Ah they looked a picture.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Julia, I'm generally in out of the way areas when I'm out, but the crossed stick idea is good, though I worry that if it was in the woods nearer to home that some of the local kids may think it was treasure and dig it up - still they'd only do it once:lmao:

You never know, the problem is a good campsite, and the corresponding good choice of tree will probably be chosen by someone else if there is any traffic at all. It's also about getting into good habits. You may be the only person using that area of woods 99% of the time, but when you go to do the west highland way[1] as a holiday, then that is not the case.

We used to sell heaps of the Sheewee's come DoE time and also for concerts. Though a lot of the steady sales were for ladies travelling abroad where they didn't want to be too adventurous with the local loos. I do think that they're a great idea though the evil person in me remembers the proto Sheewee that didn't have a box. We kidded on the new staff that they were facemask pieces for altitude climbers air tanks. Ah they looked a picture.

They are very good, but they do have limitations. The number of people who have pulled the pink (now replaced with green) box off the side of my pack, opened it and then asked what it is, only to drop it in horror when explained... Esp entertaining when it's the guy at eurostar security doing it...

Julia

[1] Just a random example.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
This thread should become a "sticky": too long has the subject been treated as "icky". The ladies may care to give advice on their own specific monthly problem. It was failure to deal adequately with female waste that was at the root of my wife's celebrated nocturnal encounter with a curious bear.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I do miss having a fire at home though, great for cutting down rubbish.

Yes I bet you do goatboy, I have an old decrepit multi fuel stove and loads of rubbish gets burned on it, I’m not too fussy what goes in it the priority being free and available, I’ve noticed some of that glossy junk mail you get doesn’t seem to burn too well for some reason but it gets tossed on the stove anyway. At one time I went through a very bad patch in my personal life and I used that stove to cook on every day for a long time when services were disconnected just using wind blown timber, the forestry used to give the locals a ticket to collect wind blown timber free of charge but no longer do so. I’ve also hunted and fished a lot like you too providing all sorts of free meat, eels were common years ago who’d have thought they would become so scarce, fishmongers used to sell them live in their shops. I have a garden waste bin but it goes on the compost heap shared with my neighbour. I probably sounded like a right scruffy git (I am) but I’ve never liked deodorants and detergents and such like. Anyway thanks for an unusual but interesting thread. ATB :)

PS, crossed sticks, as kids we used to be told that was gipsies leaving signs behind, after reading julias comment perhaps they really were leaving something behind after all :cussing:

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This thread should become a "sticky": too long has the subject been treated as "icky". The ladies may care to give advice on their own specific monthly problem. It was failure to deal adequately with female waste that was at the root of my wife's celebrated nocturnal encounter with a curious bear.

A good point well made.

I woould add there are all sorts of other human emissions that one should be careful how we deal with. For example, I have seen people carefully burn toilet paper and yet blow their nose on tissues and drop them. For me tissues should go into the fire (long after any cooking) if you must use them - but what is wrong with the old fashioned handkerchief?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
On my permanent camp we have mains loos a good walk away - fine for day trips when urgency is not an issue but too far for any urgent needs.
With this in mind I have located a site in the woods - well away from the drainage that is part of the water supply of the farm - and have shielded it from view with parachute off cuts.
In this area there is room for "poo trenches" (hang onto the strainer rope, one foot each side of the trench, do what you need, burn the tissue, backfill) which are clearly marked after they are "full". the area has space for about 3 years use at the current rate of "Fill", after which I will have to search out a new patch for the trenches... not impossible on the site in question.
Does anyone know the "safe" time period to allow human waste to compost before a site is re used?
If human waste is added to compost heaps I have been told that you can use the compost after about 4 years with no heath issues.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
On the safe time period Mr Fenna a lot has to do with the soil conditions and how deep you go. In poor soils or deeper down there is less oxygen and bacteria to break it down, in some conditions it may never really go away and be an interesting find for future generations of bone kickers. That's why in some high altitude poor soils the recommended method of disposal is "frosting" where you smear the poo thinly over rocks so that UV can kill the bugs and and it eventually desiccates and blows away. Personally I'm for packing it out in those situations. It wasn't uncommon in my old winter climbing days to find "yellow glaciers" (and sometimes brown ones!) next to popular routes as climbers lightened their load before heading up!
Some of the woodland trusts and community forests have had some research done into timescales on pit toilets, will see if I can find the info for inclusion here, could be of use to some folk. I know the likes of Wooplaw Community forest and Comrie Croft have some experience in these maters.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
[teaser]

Inspired by this thread, I have begun a new project that I have been meaning to get to. I think, when its done, I will do a thread on it called "the power of poo" :)

[/teaser]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Been having trouble finding good figures on the affect of differing soil types on time scales for pit toilets being moved. But I'll keep researching.
Another thing I've been looking at is the different types of wet wipes available. As most of them are synthetic they don't break down too well, even though they may loose their form, they still leave synthetic fibres behind in the soil. A lot of sites wont let you use them, and indeed they shouldn't really be flushed down most household toilets either as they cause problems at the sewer works. Indeed according to some figures up to 75% of sewer blockages in London are attributed to wet wipes and are costing companies up to £12 million a year. Some companies do use cotton for their wipes which in theory will break down and should be flushable.

It's making for some interesting but gross reading; especially when they put in pictures. Which you'll be please to hear I won't include in further updates!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Been having trouble finding good figures on the affect of differing soil types on time scales for pit toilets being moved. But I'll keep researching.
Another thing I've been looking at is the different types of wet wipes available. As most of them are synthetic they don't break down too well, even though they may loose their form, they still leave synthetic fibres behind in the soil. A lot of sites wont let you use them, and indeed they shouldn't really be flushed down most household toilets either as they cause problems at the sewer works. Indeed according to some figures up to 75% of sewer blockages in London are attributed to wet wipes and are costing companies up to £12 million a year. Some companies do use cotton for their wipes which in theory will break down and should be flushable.

It's making for some interesting but gross reading; especially when they put in pictures. Which you'll be please to hear I won't include in further updates!

A picture is worth 100 words... but no videos please!

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Goatboy and British Red, you might be interested in the pdf's on this link, I have downloaded the individual chapters to peruse later and the ones I have looked at are interesting

http://humanurehandbook.com/downloads/

the file after chapter 9 is from work done in haiti after the disaster there, also worth a look.

Good thread btw, I will post some of my musings later, when I have had a sit and think on them.....:naughty:
Rob.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Fraxinus have downloaded for a read too.

Reading back to Oldtimers post about it becoming a Sticky thread, well I have problems in my mind about it being the Sticky Toilet thread:eek:.

Don't sit​ to long now!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe

There are some biodegradable wipes, but where as bog roll disintegrates pretty well when flushed, the wet wipes don't. They breakdown slowly over time, maintaining the bulk of their structural integrity for the duration of the breakdown.

[teaser]

Inspired by this thread, I have begun a new project that I have been meaning to get to. I think, when its done, I will do a thread on it called "the power of poo" :)

[/teaser]

How long have you had that pun fermenting?

Julia

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Goatboy and British Red, you might be interested in the pdf's on this link, I have downloaded the individual chapters to peruse later and the ones I have looked at are interesting

http://humanurehandbook.com/downloads/

the file after chapter 9 is from work done in haiti after the disaster there, also worth a look.

Good thread btw, I will post some of my musings later, when I have had a sit and think on them.....:naughty:
Rob.

Bah!
My wretched interweb freezes up trying to download these files!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There are some biodegradable wipes, but where as bog roll disintegrates pretty well when flushed, the wet wipes don't. They breakdown slowly over time, maintaining the bulk of their structural integrity for the duration of the breakdown.

Julia
Cheers, there's also a company that's producing a type of spray sanitiser that can be used for cleaning the hands, but also can be applied to normal loo paper without it becoming instant papier máché. I've forgotten their name for the moment but will post it up later.
Of course we could all stop using wet wipes, but they seem to have caught on for easy final polishing and for those with a sensitive bum.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
In my wood I've used a system over the last four years which has worked well.

Take two large dustbins, punch a series of small holes in the sides and position them in a well hidden spot. Take a smaller dustbin, again punch holes and position nearby. The smaller one is your toilet, the larger ones the composters. For a soak I use ash from the fire mixed with sawdust.

Recently I checked one composter two years after it received its last deposit. The process had worked well and I had a bin full of humanure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE