Pork scratchings...yes or no?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Didn’t buy any scratchings but had a carvery lunch yesterday. The server cut the fat and crackling off one end and put it to one side. I asked and got it on my plate!!!!

Reactions: Brizzlebush

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Got to agree with black pudding grew up with it and still love the taste. Goes with a lot of food to add to the flavours

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmundo

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Scratchings, yes, obviously!

Fat = flavour.
A sad fact, but a fact nonetheless.
But then I don't want to live a life of a monk. Bad for you is where some of the good stuff of life is.
I can resist everything except moderation!

But not that puffy polystyrene nonsense. They dry your mouth out and feel like all the calories for less of the pleasure.

Proper scratchings with scraps of meat still attached, some of the fat a little soft, puffy and crunchy elsewhere, and almost too much salt.
Oh my days.
So wrong, but so right.

Black pudding, mmmm.
French, British, Polish, Spanish, they're all good!

Reactions: Ozmundo

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Butcher near me does black pudding which almost tastes/has the consistency of haggis, it's glorious stuff. A bit like Morcilla, but still a proper British black pudding.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Got to agree with black pudding grew up with it and still love the taste. Goes with a lot of food to add to the flavours
A few weeks ago Booths had a very nice block of proper Bury black pudding in the yellow sticker fridge. So I just had to, plus I bought a very nice, smoked streaky bacon. I thought a mini fry up of BP, bacon and fried eggs on toast.

I started cooking the BP and bacon but couldn't new bothered with the eggs and toast. Well not quite, but I was halfway through the meat before I remembered about the eggs! Put it this way, the bacon and the black pudding was so nice it didn't make it from the kitchen to he dining room!

The black pudding was cooked just perfectly with na crispy outer but still soft inside. The bacon was simply so crispy without being dry. I ate the whole pack of black pudding and the bacon too, 12 rashers. Comfort food! Not bad for a between meals snack!

Reactions: Pattree and gg012

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Pork scratchings made commercially are just dry fluff. Nothing special! I really don't understand how anyone can actually like it. It's no better than those scampi bite packets. You know the ones with like a hollow pillow shape.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Yes.

Also fried chicken skin is wonderful. An old school friend of mine’s mother is Filipino and I remember going over to their house to the smell of it and it made me salivate the moment I got through the door.
Seasoned duck skin is lush. You can bake it between two trays on a low heat to render all the fat out and you end up with duck crackling

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Pork scratchings made commercially are just dry fluff. Nothing special! I really don't understand how anyone can actually like it. It's no better than those scampi bite packets. You know the ones with like a hollow pillow shape.
Smiths Scampi Fries?? I will hear not a bad word said about the pub snack of the gods (along with Bacon Fries)!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Smiths Scampi Fries?? I will hear not a bad word said about the pub snack of the gods (along with Bacon Fries)!
You're wrong! The best pub snack is salted peanuts or salt and vinegar crisps. Packet opened up to share with your drinking company. If you have those scampi fries nobody will want to share it. You're basically buying a snack just to eat it all by yourself but in front of others.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Try spreading uncooked black pudding on buttered toast like pate. :)
Haggis on toast I've tried but not black pudding. I've also had a deep fried haggis fritter. That was nicer than a corned beef one I tried once. Both I Scottish chippy. The corned beef fritter was basically a ball of corned beef in batter. A whole tin I reckon with a portion of chips. I was stuffed and in need of a drink after that!

Reactions: Robbi

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
You're wrong! The best pub snack is salted peanuts or salt and vinegar crisps. Packet opened up to share with your drinking company. If you have those scampi fries nobody will want to share it. You're basically buying a snack just to eat it all by yourself but in front of others.
Nah....

Tato cheese and onion crisps and salted peanuts... Open the crisps, pour the peanuts in and shake.... Then split the packet open in the middle of the table and all can enjoy. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE