Pluto no longer a planet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
its was on the news not long ago that a new scope found several more planets past pluto. so once the information comes more out into the open we could have 12

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
they've actually found something like 40 and some bigger than Pluto that's the reason for the decision.
IMO it would be a bit daft to have 48 planets can you imagine getting kids to learn all the planets:eek:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
To me it just reinforces that science say they're right all the way to the point they admit they're wrong or they change something because it suits them....How can it be a planet for generations and then they decide to change their minds :lmao:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You are joking aren't you, Tony? You can't actually be saying that science shouldn't change in the light of new information?

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Didn't they decide to call Pluto and the new "planets" plutoids or something like that?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
gregorach said:
You are joking aren't you, Tony? You can't actually be saying that science shouldn't change in the light of new information?

I totally agree that science should change with the information available, it should be updated etc. What I do dislike is the fact that (I’m being general here) science dismisses a huge amount of things and insists that “it is right” when a lot of the time it’s just theory. All through history things have been dismissed by Science and then later accepted, children get taught theory as though it was actually the only answer and the only way and it will always be so.

In this instance, talking about the planets, they sit and decide to change years of knowledge, because they would like to reclassify. So, I spend time teaching my kids that Pluto is a planet, they decide otherwise and they’ll list some new ones, then in a few years there will be some new kids on the block that don’t like that classification and decide that they prefer it like so…

Some things are set in stone and I fully appreciate that, but there’s a lot that’s not and they talk as though it is.

That’s where I’m coming from, I don’t like the scornful attitude towards anything they can’t prove and yet they’re allowed to change their minds, sometimes they’re just plain wrong and yet as soon as they decide on the new thing that’s it, everyone else is wrong.

Sorry for the waffle, especially as I’m not that fussed really. I just think they’re a little…Umm, narrow minded sometimes.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks
Pluto is now defined as a "Pluton" ;)
Tony - I totally see what you're saying, although just about any reasonable scientist will accept the uncertainty principle. Hence why things are still called theories - just because all tests go the same way an uncountable number of times doesn't mean they'll go completely off the scale next time :D And yes, some scientists are very narrow minded indeed... as my dad always told me, a Scientist shouldn't try to prove themselves right, they should search only for the truth and publish it nonetheless :rolleyes:

From what I've heard, there are numerous plutons orbiting our sun... weird that they never get mentioned...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
So Pluto is only a minor planet, so what, who pays these guys to say this, I bet they are government funded, if so it makes me cross that they spend all that money on something (that seems to me) so trivial.............. :confused:

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
spamel said:
So, why can he speak but Pluto can't? Also, I don't remember seeing Goofy's tail!! (No sniggering at the back please!)

Because hounds are more intellectual than dogs. His tail has been docked. :D

Geoff

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
To be fair, many scientists don't show everything as "fact", but the media (where most lay people get their information from) don't like caveating every sentence as "this may or may not be the case depending on future findings, but for now the majority of scientists believe that...". It's a lot easier to say "the earth is flat".

Some things can be stated as fact e.g. proven mathematical constructs. But there are countless theories and conjectures out there.

Not sure if the Pluto naming has anything to do with either of those examples, though. It's just a convention and doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things. School science books are full of mistakes and inaccuracies anyway so here's another one to add to the list!

Mark

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Seagull said:
Who,s going to rewrite the " Planets"?

Old Gustav H has long slipped his cable.

Ceeg

"The Planets" were composed in 1915.....15 years before pluto was discovered so it is not included..........

.....Lucky!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE