Pluto no longer a planet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
Pluto being a planet (or not) is not a scientific theory. It is a classification. Pluto orbiting the Sun is a theory.

Your kids have got to see history being made. They get to laugh at past astronomers for being so stupid as to think that Pluto was a planet in the first place. :)

Classifications of what is and is not a planet, dwarf planet, asteroid, dust, etc etc is not something that astronomy was just born with. At least astronomers have classifications, which is more than can be said of a lot of other things. (Bushcraft included.) Crikey, it's only a name. It's not like it's a fundamental problem with the laws of motion. Once upon a time a computer was a person, and once upon a time a hackney cabs actually had hackney horses pulling them. ;)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
corr blimey what did i start here i just thought it interesting that a bunch of extremly clever guys and gals sat in a room going it's not a planet.....yes it is.....it's not a planet.....yes it is.....it's not a planet.....yes it is.....it's not a planet.....oh go on the you win its not
i didn't mean to stat a debate on the nature of scientific theory and its education :eek:

you guys rock its amazing the way you have great conversations based on virtualy nothing:D

:You_Rock_

your brilliant

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
now thats funny so there still scwableing brilliant

i like this :

Stern said like-minded astronomers had begun a petition to get Pluto reinstated. Car bumper stickers compelling motorists to "Honk if Pluto is still a planet" have gone on sale over the internet and e-mails circulating about the decision have been describing the IAU as the "Irrelevant Astronomical Union".
i wnat one of those bumper stickers :D

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I don’t like to benefit from other’s misfortune; but land prices on Pluto are bound to have dropped dramatically following recent sad announcements.
Perhaps now would be an opportune time to acquire a site to do some bushcrafting?

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
What are these 'planet' things....

never heard of them.....

Mind you i have been busy planning a trip with my trusty sail ship to the edge of the earth, I hope we don't fall off or get destroyed by the Kracken.

We will be filling in the blank spots on the map as we sail into the unknown.......

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
anthonyyy said:
I don’t like to benefit from other’s misfortune; but land prices on Pluto are bound to have dropped dramatically following recent sad announcements.
Perhaps now would be an opportune time to acquire a site to do some bushcrafting?

You'll need your underblanket and thermals for that. I bet getting an ember off your bow drill won't be easy either... I hear the night time chats around the fire are not good - terrible atmosphere! :D

(I'll get my coat and my daft hat....)

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
Yep, I was right, I really shouldn't have posted last night. Sorry everyone. I even went out for a nice wander to stop myself posting, but it didn't work. :rolleyes: Sorry.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
jdlenton said:
you guys rock its amazing the way you have great conversations based on virtualy nothing:D

:You_Rock_

your brilliant

It keeps us out of the pub, JD, keeps us in laughs and its much safer than hoodie bashing. Can,t be bad.

Ceeg

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Emma said:
Yep, I was right, I really shouldn't have posted last night. Sorry everyone. I even went out for a nice wander to stop myself posting, but it didn't work. :rolleyes: Sorry.

No need to apologise! You keep on posting... What fun would it be if we all agreed? :D

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The Bad Astronomer weighs in:

[...]

I’m really torn over this. Scientifically, this whole debate is a tempest in a teapot. It’s ridiculous, and serves no purpose. How is scientific knowledge furthered in any way by debating and resolving this?

On the other hand, it’s gotten a lot of interest by the public, and it’s been positive interest so far. People are talking about what it means to be a planet, and given the abysmal level of science education in the US, it’s great that folks are actually talking about astronomy. Maybe it’ll lead to some of them looking into it more, and that’s a good thing.

And now, finally, just maybe, we can actually get back to studying these objects instead of arguing about what to call them. There’s much to learn about them, real stuff, interesting stuff. The planets — however many you may think there are — are waiting. Let’s get going.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Emma said:

dont worry about it it made me laugh when i got into wrok this morning is every thing ok now ?

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Seagull said:
It keeps us out of the pub, JD, keeps us in laughs and its much safer than hoodie bashing. Can,t be bad.

Ceeg
talking of reclassification
do you recon we could get hoodie bashing reclassified as a sport
:ban: :theyareon

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Reclassification of the planets was really needed. However, now I feel sorry for Colin Matthews who composed a ‘Pluto’ movement to follow Holst’s Planet Suite and NASA who have spent $700m on a mission to the ‘planet’ Pluto. :)

The clue that Pluto was different might have been that its orbit is inclined to that of the 8 classical planets and rotates in the opposite direction from most of the others.

So is the speed of light in free space a fundamental constant? I’ve never been sure. :confused: (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light .)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE