Plant ID Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
the first one was a pretty flower and I just wondered what it was. The second looked to me to have potential as food, kinda plantain like. Both are situated "coastal" and found on sand dune.

25072009088.jpg

25072009091.jpg

25072009090.jpg

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
First one looks like Evening primrose, second one looks like Sea beet. If I am right (please check before trusting me!) then the first one is not worth bothering with, the second one is delicious.
Cut off the midrib and stems, then steam the leaves for a short while until cooked. Serve with a mixture of soy sauce and oyster sauce to flavour.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think the first one looks like Evening Primrose too....Oenothera biennis (iirc)

It's edible from the flowers to the roots.
I eat the flowers in salads and the young seed pods (tiny little oil rich seeds) are quite good lightly steamed. The seeds can be used like sesames.
Haven't tried digging mine up to try the roots yet. :)

cheers,
Toddy

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I think the first one looks like Evening Primrose too....Oenothera biennis (iirc)
It's edible from the flowers to the roots.
I eat the flowers in salads and the young seed pods (tiny little oil rich seeds) are quite good lightly steamed. The seeds can be used like sesames.
I stand corrected on that then - I was told to be careful as it's used for medicinal purposes as well and can't be too sure what large concentrations of the chemicals it makes would do. But if you've been eating them, then I expect they're fine :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE