Plant wanderings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I love this time of year for plant ID. Plenty of plants have yet to flower so it can be something of a challenge at times.
Here are a handful from my wanderings round a couple of local meadows. One is a chalky environment, the other fairly damp.

Agrimony, Agrimonia eupatoria. Basal leaves are fairly similar to meadow sweet and wood Avens (less rounded than wood Avena). Can be used to treat diahorea and sore throats:

Below is bittersweet, Solanum dulcamara, related to potatoes and tomatoes. Toxic.

Rosebay willowherb, Chamerion angustifolium. Plenty of edible uses, but not so obvious when not in flower. Leaf veins circle back on themselves at the leaf edges. Pretty sure it's not purple loosestrife, on the basis that I know the area and that Rosebay willowherb grows there:

Two plants here. The broad leaf was on a twining stem which may be Black Bryony. But I'm not sure. The 'grass' is common reed, Phragmites australis, which is edible. A clue was the previous years flower heads which droop preferentially to one side.

Good old hogweed here:

Marjoram?

Dogwood

Some kind of cranes-bill

This obscure plant was new to me, called yellow rattle, Rhinanthus minor

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE