Help with a yellow flowering plant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
No photo unfortunately as I was out running. But I came across a tall (4 foot?) plant which I had figured was a willowherb, and chalky moderately dry ground. Similar structure and appearance to rosebay willowherb and lanceolate leaves. But today it has flowered; a big spray of yellow flowers. Any suggestions as to what this might be? I know I should hold off posting until I can go back to get a photo, but it is bugging me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The two yellow flowers that are in bloom around here just now are evening primroses, but they have large showy individual flowers, and the last of the golden rod. The golden rod has stems and leaves much like willowherb and it does produce a spray of flowers.
The native one is also called Woundwort, but it's not the purple one.
It's

I use it as a dye.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Now I'm confused :(

Whereas I accept that the plant Suffolkrafter has seen is, in all probability, Goldenrod (Solidago virgaurea), that link of yours @Toddy doesn't look anything like the Goldenrod I know; are they sure they've used the correct photo?

As well as the yellow dye that Toddy uses it for it has a wide range of medicinal applications, in particular for fungal infections.

Reactions: Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I would be careful with the id. I deliberately mentioned canadensis as the are quite a few garden escapees, some of which might be toxic.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I would be careful with the id. I deliberately mentioned canadensis as the are quite a few garden escapees, some of which might be toxic.

Really? In my research I haven't found any Solidago that is considered toxic to browsing animals or humans - in fact the contrary (as far as medicinal use is concerned). I'll have to do more digging (excuse the pun :)).

Last edited:

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Geoff Dann's book lists both species as edible. The site I linked to earlier describes Solidago canadensis as containing pyrrolizidine alkaloids. I'd be interested to find out more.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
At least in Finnish Solidago virgaurea is considered slightly toxic but still used in small amounts.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Geoff Dann's book lists both species as edible. The site I linked to earlier describes Solidago canadensis as containing pyrrolizidine alkaloids. I'd be interested to find out more.

Many plants contain pyrrolizidine alkaloids that protects them from insects; in very small quantities it is found in teas and even honey. I would avoid eating any plant that is known to containing it because you don't know the dose you are eating.

Geoff's book is the only one I have found that describes Goldenrod (S.virgaurea or S.canadensis) as edible. To date, I have found no evidence of it being eaten in Britain so it's not on my edibles list.

S.virgaurea:
MedicinalConstituentsUtilityOther notes
antioxidant, diuretic, astringent, antidiarrhoeic, vulnerary, anti-inflammatory; remedy for urinary tract disorders, nephritis, cystitis, used to flush kidney and bladder stones, the saponins work against Candida fungus (thrush), taken for sore throats, nasal catarrh; leaves expectorant and anti-inflamatory, used to heal woundssaponins, diterpenes, phenolic glucosides, acetylenes, cinnamates, flavonoids, tannins, hydroxybenzoates, inulinflowers and leaves produce a yellow dyeuse flowering plant summer and autumn

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now I'm confused :(

Whereas I accept that the plant Suffolkrafter has seen is, in all probability, Goldenrod (Solidago virgaurea), that link of yours @Toddy doesn't look anything like the Goldenrod I know; are they sure they've used the correct photo?

As well as the yellow dye that Toddy uses it for it has a wide range of medicinal applications, in particular for fungal infections.

Now I'm confused, because that make three varieties I know of all called Golden Rod.
The Canadian one which is invasive, with showy sprays of yellow flowers. The European one that grows like the fireweed and throws out sprays like that site shows, and the third one, also European, with sort of individual flowers but clusters of them almost like an aster. The leaves grow among the flowers in that one. I think it's also known as Himalayan golden rod.

They all give dye, but the European one with sprays gives the better colour. The latter one is the one picked for tea/ointment.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Many plants contain pyrrolizidine alkaloids that protects them from insects; in very small quantities it is found in teas and even honey. I would avoid eating any plant that is known to containing it because you don't know the dose you are eating.

Geoff's book is the only one I have found that describes Goldenrod (S.virgaurea or S.canadensis) as edible. To date, I have found no evidence of it being eaten in Britain so it's not on my edibles list.

S.virgaurea:
MedicinalConstituentsUtilityOther notes
antioxidant, diuretic, astringent, antidiarrhoeic, vulnerary, anti-inflammatory; remedy for urinary tract disorders, nephritis, cystitis, used to flush kidney and bladder stones, the saponins work against Candida fungus (thrush), taken for sore throats, nasal catarrh; leaves expectorant and anti-inflamatory, used to heal woundssaponins, diterpenes, phenolic glucosides, acetylenes, cinnamates, flavonoids, tannins, hydroxybenzoates, inulinflowers and leaves produce a yellow dyeuse flowering plant summer and autumn

Interesting about the honey, I guess the bees must accumulate it via the nectar, depending on what plants they are tending to.
It won't be on my edibles list either.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
The Solidagos are not native to Europe but were introduced from North America about 250 years ago, leastwise that's what the references here in France state.
Same family as Asters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE