Liquid fuel stoves? Diesel, Kerosene, car gas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
First, I have a Soto Windstopper IsoButane 'gas' stove so, I'm covered there. However, I really need a stove that will burn unleaded, kerosene, diesel, and similar liquid fuels, not just Coleman "white gas/naphtha". Charcoal and wood are not an option.

I am thinking MSR Dragonfly initially but, the Optimus Omnifuel and others seem to have a lot of fans and advocates. I want something that will simmer a stew and boil water fast for a cup of coffee/tea but, I'm not really looking for fast snow melt on a mountain top either. Basically, a well rounded stove without a blow torch tip but, a a broad flame front with good even heat so I get less scorching of my food with Stainless and Titanium cookware with something that will support the typical Titanium cup or mug for a fast boil.

For unknown reasons, most of this type of camping/hiking stove seems to be of European origin so, I thought I would post here as well. Optimus/SVEA and similar brands seem to have a rich history in the EU so, I hoping to get some good insights from real world users! In my case, I'm not mountain climbing or staying were wood is an option so, common fuels are what I'm looking at like Diesel for tractors or gasoline for a car. I frequently encounter Kerosene as well for heaters at various farm and hardware stores.

TIA,
Sid

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have talked with people using the Optimus and seemed like most were happy with the multifuel burner but apparently it wants a change in nozzles when changing fuel. As far as I can remember the other ones were mostly not included in packs just then or had got lost.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Multifuel stoves can't really simmer, it's either full blast or small blast.
For clean white gas Soto Muka is currently the best.
For best butane/diesel/kerosene etc stove Primus Omnifuel is the best (sujective).
Diesel, petrol, kerosene fuels in any multifuel stove are only meant to be an emergency option. They soot, smell and clog even the best stove.

Liquid fuel stoves/multifuel stoves are design for extreme performance, not for convenience, weight or gourmey cooking.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I have talked with people using the Optimus and seemed like most were happy with the multifuel burner but apparently it wants a change in nozzles when changing fuel. As far as I can remember the other ones were mostly not included in packs just then or had got lost.

Some of the new ones have an updated nozzle that is multi-fuel compatible and, some have a magnetic nozzle cleaner as well.

I would prefer to have one with the "universal fuel" nozzle and the embedded magnetic jet nozzle cleaner if possible.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA

Good to know. I'm not looking for super fine control but, I do need some adjustability.

Thanks! I'll look into that one.

For best butane/diesel/kerosene etc stove Primus Omnifuel is the best (sujective).

I was leaning slightly towards that one from reading about its features.

Diesel, petrol, kerosene fuels in any multifuel stove are only meant to be an emergency option. They soot, smell and clog even the best stove.

Higher maintenance is expected. That's part of why I was looking at something with the built-in magnetic nozzle cleaner.

Liquid fuel stoves/multifuel stoves are design for extreme performance, not for convenience, weight or gourmey cooking.

I expect weight and volume to be more than an IsoButane container stove but, I'm not willing to put up with the volume and weight of a Coleman two-burner model either.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Some of the new ones have an updated nozzle that is multi-fuel compatible and, some have a magnetic nozzle cleaner as well.

I would prefer to have one with the "universal fuel" nozzle and the embedded magnetic jet nozzle cleaner if possible.
Right, the situation I was referring to was some while back. They were bound to come up with an adjustable nozzle and an easy to use cleaning system.

EdS

I can happily simmer on my omnifuel running on kerosene /paraffin. Soot and clogging is not an issue - just use the right nozzle and use correctly. I've used mine for nearly 20 years and never had issue.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
I have a Primus Omni fuel haven't used it for a very long time so probably needs servicing

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a nice little butane cartridge stove which works really well in warm weather. Or in the house during a total power failure.
It's an extreme disappointment in cold weather as the butane is so slow to vaporize. It burns like a bomb for the first 5 minutes. Then as the butane cools by evaporation, it becomes very sluggish. One night, I wound up with my bare hands around the cartridge to boil 500 ml water.

Such is not the case with any Coleman appliance burning straight gas or Coleman fuel = they will light, get hot and settle down at -20C. I've had a Coleman green box (441?) for 40+ years. Same for a mantle lantern. After years of looking at them, I finally got so annoyed with the butane that I hauled off and bought a Coleman 533. Appears to be a lantern tank under a single stove burner. Was not cheap, about $100 as I recall.

I want cold weather reliability, fuel, parts and service everywhere. I don't think this is the stove for the UK. It will be a rare animal when compared with SVEA or Primus, etc, the European stoves. I did have the chance to use a Primus(?) kerosene stove for about a week. The 'kitchen" was a hole in a snow drift. Hot as a volcano, once you got it lit which was tedious.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I can vouch for the msr stoves, having used both the whisperlite and the shaker, now superceded by the dragonfly (which I haven't used). The shaker was a blow torch really. The whisperlite had more fine control. They're good stoves. However I no longer use them, as a gas stove is simpler and lighter.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
The gas/IsoButane win for convenience but, in cold weather are a no-go for me. The cost fuel cartridges adds up too. For a quick boil for a tea or coffee or anything similar, it works really well.

I can get a gallon of Naphtha for ~$5USD so, cost of operation will be a lot less with a liquid fuel stove. If I need to use car gasoline it will be $3~3.50USD a gallon. I haven't bought 100LL avgas recently but, last time it was only ~$1.50 more than ethanol based car fuel and ~$0.50 more than 100% 'dino-juice' gasoline. Diesel and Kerosene are ~$5~$6 per gallon generally and would only be used in most cases if Coleman "white gas" was available locally when I needed it for a reasonable price.

ghostc

Jul 25, 2022
Blackpool
i use Coleman Liquid Lead Free on my msr dragonfly, it seems to be cleaner than petrol and i also have a coleman powerhouse lantern so i can run both

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Are the Optimus Nova+ available in the UK or EU? From the research I have come across so far, it and the MSR Dragon Fly are looking good to me and the have the Quiet Caps as well which should help the simmer some as well.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have an MSR Whisperlight Multifuel - runs on all the fuels you mention but I have to change the jet between 'heavy' fuels (diesel, kerosene etc.) and lighter fuels such as petrol.

I don't know what multifuel stoves Bigmonster has used but the Whisperlight will turn down to a low simmer or up to a roaring well spread flame. It will work in wind, high altitude, and sub-zero conditions. It's my go-to stove for mountain and cold weather use.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Getting some stoves to "simmer" is hard, you might as well raise the pot 2-3 inches.
I have never felt that I was absolutely desperate of stove fuel. Bring my preference with me and watch the kettle boil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE