Hammock-Shelter Experiment (with images)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

A recent challenge prompted the intention to create a relatively portable but very stable and all weather, suspended shelter/observations platform.

The ‘platform’ used is the material section from a (damaged) military, fold out cot-bed.

The spreader bars are made from the aluminium frame of the same cot-bed.

The spreader-bar inserts are made up from mild steel angle.

The suspension items consist of –
4mm Dyneema;
4mm SS thimbles;
x4 pieces of mil surplus pallet strap sewn together in pairs;
Some redundant climbing karabiners and a fig of 8 descender;

There is one continuous run of Dyneema – end-loop to end-loop, passing through grommet-ed holes in the spreader bars
and two separate Dyneema triangles – one at each end, each attached directly to a spreader bar.

The loop sections of each hanging element of the Dyneema are fitted with a 4mm stainless eye thimble held in position with a small sewn sleeve. (made from the pallet strap).
The thimbles at each end are clipped into the same krab, tensioning the platform and keeping it from sliding towards the centre under load.
This method has proven to provide good tension-ing of the platform.

The sleeves, only intended to keep the thimbles in place when not under load have also proven very useful for adjusting the thimbles to get the sideways balance of the platform correct when it is hung.

The (modified) dpm hooped bivvy base is simply attached to the ‘hammock’ by way of strips of hook and loop and paracord.
A single bungee and paracord ridge-line above the bivvy helps lift the upper part of it off the occupant.

Tensioned hard, the set-up can be arranged quite close to the ground.

During the short trial after initial set-up it has proven stable and comfortable.

Ham#1.jpg Ham#2.jpg Ham#3.jpg Ham#4.jpg Ham#5.jpg Ham#6.jpg Ham#7.jpg

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
That's brilliant! I've been thinking about designing something similar for ages, as Hammocks are great but have space/shape limitations, my design includes side bars too so the sheet is more stable when weight is added, problem is all the metal makes it a heavy system, I'm still trying to figure out if I can make that sort of thing with alloy poles, or with legs that can also hang

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
That's brilliant! I've been thinking about designing something similar for ages, as Hammocks are great but have space/shape limitations, my design includes side bars too so the sheet is more stable when weight is added, problem is all the metal makes it a heavy system, I'm still trying to figure out if I can make that sort of thing with alloy poles, or with legs that can also hang

Let the forest provide?

1613.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1615_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1616.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi bopdude. Did you mean Jaeger or me. If it was me, it was a setup I built at the 2015 moot, and spent 2 weeks in it. After the moot, I took it to the Suffolk group permission, and it was used there until it got rotten. It was a very comfy set up.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Hi bopdude. Did you mean Jaeger or me. If it was me, it was a setup I built at the 2015 moot, and spent 2 weeks in it. After the moot, I took it to the Suffolk group permission, and it was used there until it got rotten. It was a very comfy set up.
Sorry, yes i meant your set up, thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE