Improvised drip line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sachapost

Apr 21, 2015
The Netherlands
Quickie question.

1020435.jpg

I fashioned a drip line for my DD Frontline hammock this morning using some spare things I had lying around, stainless steel hooks and some 6mm sailing rope, in the hope I don't have to buy new carabiners for this purpose. I passed a loop of cord through the channel, connected it to the hook using a larks head and used another larks head on the hammock end and tied the two ends off with an overhand knot. I wondered if my thinking was right and this'll hold and be safe and be effective as a drip line when using the stock webbing to tie off to the tree?

This is a wonderful forum by the way, I'm learning loads :D

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I would still stick a bit of string dangling down as well. Give the water every chance to drop down (it rarely tracks up!)

sachapost

Apr 21, 2015
The Netherlands
Thanks :) Gave it a go last night, one of the first summer nights here in the Netherlands, no rain but put up an extra bit of string up as you suggested. Slept safe and sound :)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Good to hear it. Just re-read your opening post, if you are relying on the s hook to act as a rain break, I would up upgrade my idea to a rule. Don't chance water tracking in for the sake of 20cm of paracord.

sachapost

Apr 21, 2015
The Netherlands
Will do, thanks for the advice. Would you tie the piece string onto the s hook or on the webbing? Or as a last resort in between the s hook and the hammock?

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
My feeling would be to put the string just before the hook and make sure the tarp covers the hook.....the rain/runoff goes down the suspension and drips before getting to the hammock and the hook is third defence...
1 Tarp
2 Drip string
3 Hook

Paul

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
water pools at edge of web/ hook interface, string causes it to move down and fall to ground. Little bit that does make it onto the s hook beads and dops off that. ..... Dry hammock results. Nothing to stop you having some half way down the webbing, before the s hook and on it as well. Its just a bit of string after all.

Once got ready for a walk from the camp site. Changed my mind on taking jacket and left it resting on tree huggers. While out the clouds opened as we passed a pub. Had two pints while rain stopped and walked back in sun shine while all around was cool. Got back thinking it had been a fine day.....Jacket must have held 10 liters of water. Had it been just a just a bit farther down on the tree huggers and crossed over the 'biner , most of that would have been in my hammock.

sachapost

Apr 21, 2015
The Netherlands
Oh my, it's surprising how much water actually manages to seep down on the webbing. In a pinch you could actually put a container beneath the drip line, make use of rain one way or another ;) Thanks for the advice, definitely adding a string or two before the hook then!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE