i'v gone Tarp hardware mad

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
as title, i'v put hardware on all my tarp lines to test out, up to now i'm quite liking it

I'll start off by saying (yawn) that i'v been a regular hammock camper for 14 years and for 13 of em the only hardware on either hammock or tarp was two drip rings on the hammock. So i can tie all the knots one handed with my eyes shut :D. And as for weight my set up will still be far lighter than most

Right, with that out of the way.....lets have a few pics

The continuous ridgline starts with a dutch hook at one end

Dutch wasp at the other

the guy lines have alu loop alien clones on them. Used much like the vid below only mine are larksheaded the end of the guy line using the smallest hole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7eiaOe3-Jc

The guy line is looped around the tent peg and then the loop alien attached with a bite through the big hole which is then looped over the medium hole
(See vid above)

I couldn't the whole thing in these pics. but if the guyline is too long (there was a drystone wall in the way) i can go around the tent peg then pass the alien back through the loop on the tarp and attach it to the guy line as before.....poor explination that i know, but its just a way to 'loose' some guy line length if needed

Now, this is one of my favorite bits
All the cordage is 1.5mm dyneema. Which is great and all but i found it just wants to tangle all the time. I mean you just look at it and its tangled :rolleyes:
So using the loop alien as a bobbin, no more tangles.....i just wind it on from the far (non tarp) end and when i get to the tarp pass a bite through the big eye and loop it over the medium eye. Which keeps it tidy as you like and ready for next time

So yeah, tarp hardware then
I like it for now.....lets just see how much stays on there or gets replaced with knots again

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
What are you thinking man?!
You should be whittling your hardware out of bones and wood... and using nettle twine
(after you've given yourself a good thrashing with the nettles, for being such a heretic)
LOL :p

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Like the look of the dutch hook... that's just for the tarp though? Not for the hammock rig?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
What are you thinking man?!
You should be whittling your hardware out of bones and wood... and using nettle twine
(after you've given yourself a good thrashing with the nettles, for being such a heretic)
LOL :p

I would have to whittle a spear first to kill a wolf for the hammock and a few seals for the tarp :D
Or just use my £200 knife to make tent pegs for the cuben fiber tarp :p

T'was yourself that put me onto the loop aliens. Just waiting for some steel ones for the hammock chair and more alu ones so i can try em with a sloy cut out like the kosher jobbies

Like the look of the dutch hook... that's just for the tarp though? Not for the hammock rig?

Aye mate, just for the tarp. the dutchman sells plenty of other stuff for hanging hammocks. Most notably the dutch clip

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
I like your stuff. Just if you want some more hardware to try out:

Someone introduced this piece of art on another forum and I think about getting some cause it looks really, really neat...

BEHOLD!

The Tribe One PackTach Set:
packTachVideo.jpg

How to use:

[video=youtube;4oAyhO5kAG0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oAyhO5kAG0[/video]

[EDIT]Although the vid explains the function with a backpack with this thing you can basically create a hooking point on your tarp in every odd place you want. It gives you endless possibilities.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I like your stuff. Just if you want some more hardware to try out:

Someone introduced this piece of art on another forum and I think about getting some cause it looks really, really neat...

BEHOLD!

The Tribe One PackTach Set:

[EDIT]Although the vid explains the function with a backpack with this thing you can basically create a hooking point on your tarp in every odd place you want. It gives you endless possibilities.

Interesting.

DMM have their Vault coming out soon (early next year I think) that attaches a carabiner (wire or locking) to webbing.

http://dmmprofessional.com/documents/productinfo/vault_info_sheet.pdf

Maybe little large for everyday use, but hopefully they or someone will make a smaller one.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
That packtech does look neat....but.....you've gotta have pairs of hoofing great climbing crabs hanging off the pack just to string some shock cord through?
That bit on the inside would soon get on me nerves too

Nifty well designed idea. But tbh seems like solution waiting for a problem to me

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
yes, if you have a pack that you really, really need to hang stuff on the outside of all the time then surely you have the wrong pack?

If the pack was designed to have stuff on the outside it would already have attachment points, but it's designed to carry stuff on the inside.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Never used the stuff, so wondering how the tree's bark stands up to the large amounts of tension through that very thin Dyneema?

Its fine mate. You certainly COULD cut into bark like a wire saw but theres no need to, look at the first pic. The tarp is fully pegged out as normal

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE