Over nighter with non bushcrafters.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
Okay so I went out to some local woodland with a few friends on friday night and made up a basic a-frame with a ridge pole for my tarp to go over as there were no trees to rig it up on. My friends found it amazing how I just knocked it up and didn't need to carry a tent. Has anybody else experienced this strangely nice feeling of something seemingly standard completely amazing non bushy folks? No photos unfortunately as I ended up teaching my friends bits and pieces. Maybe next time I guess.

Steve

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Yes, I made a spatula from a bit of firewood that had a similar reaction. Also, when the wife was cooking a large stew on a wood fire, a non-bushcrafting friend commented that they hadnt realised you could cook in that way over a fire...

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Once at a rock concert (Donnington Monsters of Rock so a few years ago) friends were staggered when they found out......

With a stove you can heat food up outside!!! (i mean seriously!?)

A candle in the tent warms things up very nicely (stood on a triangia lid so as to reduce fire risk)

After an evening hot chocolate there were many strange looks when i put a bit more water on the stove and kept dipping my finger in. Even stranger looks when i poured it into my Sigg bottle and proceeded to put a walking sock over it......then amazed looks when i threw it in the bottom of my sleeping bag. "I don't like cold feet" was my answer to their looks......"GENIUS!" was the reply.

I don't consider myself a clever person, but there are days.......

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Quite, I know the party i was with were a bit green (all equipment for the weekend begged stolen or borrowed) but when i got my dragonfly out and started on the eggs sausage and bacon for breakfast they were well impressed.

Fortunately i was charged with all food and drink for the weekend so no-one went hungry. It really opened my eyes that not everyone had been camping at least once in their life!

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
I suppose I just take being outdoors for granted in a way. It has always been part of my life even if it is just walks with my dad as a kid or fishing or anything like that. It is nice when you get asked to show them how to do it though and you get to see the look on thier face when they manage it themselves.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Absolutely, the look on my nephews faces (real city boys, live in London) hen i showed them how to make fire without matches was fantastic......kept them nice and quiet for the rest of the weekend too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE