Hello from Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pjm1

Dec 21, 2023
UK
Hi everyone

Keen to participate in the forums... I'm a fairly experienced hillwalker and wild camper, with a very small amount of rock climbing experience as well. Almost all of my hillwalking (munros) has been with friends (30- and 40-something guys), although I'm looking to take my family out (kids 10 & 12) a fair bit more, including wild camping.

I am not particularly into bushcraft "skills" - for me wild camping is more about finding somewhere comfortable to rest, recharge, eat and sleep. Oh, and a LNT fire, if appropriate to the conditions and circumstances. Making my own tent pegs and pot hangers is fine, but I'm not into whittling and the like, beyond that.

I'm always after gear recommendations, although I've built up pretty much what I need, including a few different rucksacks for different purposes. One is MMPS, so that has some flexibility in terms of size, day pack use etc.

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: Erbswurst

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi and welcome to the forum :)
I think 'bushcraft skills' cover a whole load of subjects and I dare say you use many that I would classify as such in your outdoor activities. When I started out we called them wilderness skills, or backwoods skills, and, although they included making camp gadgets and tools to make life easier in the outdoors, they never included such things as whittling for whittling's sake :)

pjm1

Dec 21, 2023
UK
Thanks both :)
I do occasionally like to offer up something slightly controversial, so was deliberate in my suggestion of not being "in" to bushcraft skills per se!

Your point is very well made and I was probably just being a bit naughty in focusing on what I don't do, rather than what I do...

I do also recognise that I'm pretty inefficient in how I use/choose things around camp - generally over-engineering things just to be safe. Especially true in my choice of knots - I think more knowledge of the limits of each would lead me to sensible and useful shortcuts.

Not everything needs to be a figure 8 follow-through, even though I like it :)

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Hi everyone

Keen to participate in the forums... I'm a fairly experienced hillwalker and wild camper, with a very small amount of rock climbing experience as well. Almost all of my hillwalking (munros) has been with friends (30- and 40-something guys), although I'm looking to take my family out (kids 10 & 12) a fair bit more, including wild camping.

I am not particularly into bushcraft "skills" - for me wild camping is more about finding somewhere comfortable to rest, recharge, eat and sleep. Oh, and a LNT fire, if appropriate to the conditions and circumstances. Making my own tent pegs and pot hangers is fine, but I'm not into whittling and the like, beyond that.

I'm always after gear recommendations, although I've built up pretty much what I need, including a few different rucksacks for different purposes. One is MMPS, so that has some flexibility in terms of size, day pack use etc.

Thanks for reading!
Welcome to the forum. there is alsorts on here. not seen much about whittling tbh

pjm1

Dec 21, 2023
UK
Ha ha - probably an assumption fueled by watching too many Paul Kirtley youtube videos :) Thanks everyone - looking forward to contributing!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Hi and Welcome from Berlin!

Gear recommendations are sensible if you are missing something or need to replace it because it's worn out or broken, or what you have doesn't convince you at all.

Otherwise you should be a bit careful.
It looks for me as if some people nowadays accumulate much more stuff than they can use, because you can read in the internet about thousands of competing outdoor products.

Otherwise there are a few without any doubt superior constructions, that are mostly even relatively cheap and the best choice for a first own equipment.
One can get lucky without it though.

pjm1

Dec 21, 2023
UK
Thanks both!

I appreciate the sensible advice, Erbswurst. All too easy to buy for the sake of buying!

I’ve definitely been guilty of that in the past - and who knows about the future!

Look forward to contributing over the coming months and years…

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE