Festive cheer without the beer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Festive cheer without the beer - or without any alcohol!

As a non drinker of a few years I sometimes enjoy a strong ginger cordial with ice as an evening drink if I fancy something to swill around in a glass. In the early days of weaning myself off alcohol I worked my way through the selection of low and no alcohol beers but found many too sweet, or over processed.

With the festive season coming up I wondered what non alcoholic drinks folk like to drink?

Festive cocktails? Homemade cordials and spiced drinks? One of the non alcoholic mixers off the shelf?

What is your go to non alcoholic drink when you need a winter warmer?

Last edited:

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
You can make a pretty good infusion from hemp, and I believe that some fungi can be used too, but they obviously require some decent knowledge before using. :thumbsup:

Reactions: gg012

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
We make an elderflower cordial which is extremely popular with the kids.
Mixed 20% cordial and the rest fizzy water and some mint makes a very refreshing drink.
The only downside is it's so popular the kids have finished this year's supply already .......9 liters of undiluted cordial!!!

Reactions: Toddy and nigelp

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Cawston press, apple and ginger drink, spiced up with a sachet of mulling spices, is wonderfully as an alternative to spiced cider.
Good hot as a Toddy, or cold.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I mix up a carton of fresh (well, I'm pretty sure Tesco's and Sainsbury's is from a concentrate) apple juice, add a good glug of homemade ribena, and spice that up for gluhwein. Heat gently, let the spices infuse. I like to slice up an orange and add it to the pot too.
My only complaint is that it's a tad too sweet for my tastes, but add some hot water and it suits me fine. Everyone else seems fine with it.

It's quite nice iced down too after it's strained.

Reactions: nigelp

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Apple juice, cinnamon stick, clove, heated through.

I used to have a gas stove on the landrover tailgate and brew up a cauldron of it for outdoor events like our dog training group.

A nice little winter warmer and everyone was safe to drive home after.

Reactions: Toddy and nigelp

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I make a mulled wine syrup (it's on here somewhere). It makes fantastic mulled wine even in a microwave! It's lovely with alcohol free wine or apple juice

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Most of the AF beers I’ve tried are rubbish, but two hold up well: Lucky Saint for lager, then the Guinness 0.0.

Other than that, I can enjoy a big glass of water with loads of ice and a slice or two of lemon. Hits the spot of something a bit different from the day-to-day plain water or tea/coffee.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Bunderburg Ginger Beer is a decent one, some of the mixers are good too. There’s a Feverfew Mexican Lime and Soda that’s refreshing, and a Blackcurrant and Hibiscus I also like.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I mix up a carton of fresh (well, I'm pretty sure Tesco's and Sainsbury's is from a concentrate) apple juice, add a good glug of homemade ribena, and spice that up for gluhwein. Heat gently, let the spices infuse. I like to slice up an orange and add it to the pot too.
My only complaint is that it's a tad too sweet for my tastes, but add some hot water and it suits me fine. Everyone else seems fine with it.

It's quite nice iced down too after it's strained.
Ribera is pumped full of artificial sweeteners. Whilst your recipe sounds really nice that would have me calling huey down the toilet in about 15 to 20 minutes depending on how much I'd drunk before realising what was in it. I know others who have this artificial sweeteners being a major trigger for migraines. Always gives me the worst kind of one's too, the ones that hit quick and takes you out in minutes.

PS I used to love hot ribena as a pick me up when I'm full of a nasty cold. Then they came out with sugar free, then they turned the normal version into reduced sugar by swapping it with sweeteners. I found that out with a nasty, sudden attack of migraine. It was scarily bad one too.

So if you know of any safe alternatives to ribena for your recipe... I'd love to try it but I've never found a sweeteners free alternative to ribena.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Note; "home made ribena".

I loathe artificial sweeteners....and I still have a stash of original ribena planked away :)
It was a thing at the time, I know someone who stashed three dozen bottles. I'm down to one.

Go to Iceland or Farmfoods and buy 1kg bags of blackcurrants.....make your own ribena :)

I am fortunate and have two large blackcurrant bushes in the garden, but honestly, the frozen food shops stuff is both cheap and available all year round.

M

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I like the ginger drinks, especially with everything getting changed to sweeteners...
Belvoir ginger beer cordial for me, good with some sparkling water or hot water.
Bunderburg Ginger Beer was good until they changed it to sweeteners :nono:
Fentimans ginger beer is good if you like that fermented taste
Rochester Ginger drink has got a kick and is good for adding to things as well as on it's own

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE