Festive cheer without the beer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Blackcurrants are a 3:2:2....that means three portions of fruit to 2 of sugar and 2 of water.

So, for a kg of fruit you need about 700g of sugar and the same of water.
It's not rocket science accuracy but it works.

If you've a lemon to hand, it kind of adds to the flavour I find.

Put the water into a pot, add the sugar and stir over a gentle heat until it dissolves.
Wash the fruit (if fresh picked), if it's frozen just add straight from the bag, works with the mixed fruit bag too, with rasps and brambles/blackberries.
Stir and bring the pot up to a gentle simmer. The fruits will burst (especially if they were frozen) and slowly seep all that goodness into the liquid. 20 minutes or so.
Don't boil, if you do cook it too long you'll end up with jam :)

Take pot off the heat and let it cool.
Strain.....depends on just how clear you want your homemade cordial.
If you're making it to use right away then a quick strain through a fine sieve will be fine, if you're going to bottle and keep for a bit you need to strain really well....line the sieve with kitchen paper towels kind of thing. I use a jelly bag but not everyone has one, paper towels will work, just it's a bit messy.

If you hot wash jars or bottles, and then rinse them out with boiling water that'll pretty much sterilise them.
Pour the cordial in and seal. Best kept in the fridge to be honest. Happily keeps for about a month.
Watch it for fermentation. It won't be toxic, but it needs dealt with. A bottle left too long can explode.....don't ask me about the mess !

If I'm making it to keep I put mine into kilner jars and pressure cook them. I heat the liquid up a bit before I put it into the jars. It lasts right through until I pick the next crop that way.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hadn’t realised Bunderburg was artificial sweeteners now, I hate consuming any of them and some I actively avoid.

Belvoir ginger cordial is good stuff, and I also like the cripplingly expensive Bottlegreen Ginger and Lemongrass, and their Elderflower.

Reactions: nigelp

Glass-Wood-Steel

Jul 31, 2016
Cheshire
Love ginger cordials.
I have recently been adding cloves and cinnamon stick to 1 whole fresh lemon and a double thumb size bit of ginger. Add boiling hot water, let cool to drinking temp and add raw honey.
I think I shall have to do a winter spice version of your home made ribena over the festive period @Toddy, sounds very straight forward. Incidentally for those without an aversion to sweeteners, Ribena do a winter spice version which is quite nice.

Reactions: Toddy and nigelp

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I don't drink alcohol either. I do recommend the Big Drop Brew Company if the high Street AF stuff isn't to your liking. Online only, but a great selection.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I’m getting asked for more ABV0 cocktails in my bar recently so I’ve done a lot of tasting of the various pseudo-booze products in the last six months.
Beers: Guinness & Pistonhead were streets ahead of the competition.
Spirits: all disappointing and all way overpriced when you remember that they don’t have to pay any duty on the products.
Star Winner: and now a permanent feature in the bar. Everleaf ( available at M&S ) is not cheap at £15-20 a bottle but all three varieties are tasty and interesting without pretending to be gin, vodka, rum etc. Mix with tonic or ginger beer/ale and a slice of lime or lemon or use for cocktails with fruit juices and seltzers. Well worth a try if you want something decent without alcohol. Martini Aperitivo 0.0 is also good. A little bitter for some but nice with soda or in cocktails.
Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE