Homemade Dutch oven/Potjie lid lifter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I wanted to make a lid lifter for my groups 2 Dutchies, using bits of wood and gloved hands was getting a pain. So I thought I'd put my near non existent metal bashing skills to the test. So a bit of roadpin, a bit of gas torch and a touch of welding, I ended up with something functional. Any ideas on how to blacken it, much appreciated.
IMG_0808.JPG

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Nice.

For darkening, look up using beeswax or boiled linseed oil. Think the process is similar to seasoning a castiron or steel pan.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Nicely done sir. I'm not a fan of road pin/re bar myself, aesthetically, but if that's all you have then fair enough.

The suggestion of blackening with wax/oil is a good one. It will work better if you let the metal rust a bit first or heat to orange to form scale. It's the scale on forged steel that ab

Reactions: crosslandkelly

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Nicely done sir. I'm not a fan of road pin/re bar myself, aesthetically, but if that's all you have then fair enough.

The suggestion of blackening with wax/oil is a good one. It will work better if you let the metal rust a bit first or heat to orange to form scale. It's the scale on forged steel that ab
Yes it was all I had, thanks for the tip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE