OSINAF - Ghetto forge build-along

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi guys!

I finally have a few days to myself so I'm pulling the finger out and building a basic forge to get some stuff made. OSINAF (Oh S*** I need a forge!)

I have no welding gear and my first trip to the local scrap yards was pretty fruitless anyway so I've had to go for a break drum style forge. Not my ideal design but it will have to do.

So Step one:

Go to a scrap yard and find a suitable break drum. Then go to Wickes and buy a few aerated breeze blocks.

P1000032.jpg

More to follow tomorrow.

Cheers
Andy

Mar 14, 2012
uk
cant wait i built a forge out of a wheel went to a local scrappy who is a car breakers and they said on the phone £5-£10 for the steel wheel went there and explained what i wanted it for and he gave me it for £0.00 :cool:

but am now considering building a more traditional forge with hood and all...... when i have my workshop built!

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Well chap's it has been a long day so far. I've rebuilt a hand cranked blower which now works pretty well but isn't a patch on using a hair drier. We shall see how long I use it for, before I go back to using the lazy mans hair drier. lol.

Right then. This is just a basic forge to get me up and running. I built it this afternoon and was forging by 3pm.

Get your aerated breeze blocks and carve out a recess for your brake drum to sit in. I drilled holes and 'had at it' with a chisel for a while.

P1000046.jpg

Slot in your brake drum. There is no real reason for doing it this way but it gives you a little extra space and insulation around the drum. And it requires zero welding and zero faff.

P1000047.jpg

One of the main reasons I'm doing it like this is because I have limited space in the garden and it will need to be dismantled quite regularly. (once the rain stops :()

Now you want to effectively bracket your drum with blocks. -

P1000049.jpg

Cut a hole in one of the blocks to accept a pipe of some sort. Scaffolding pipe is ideal but PLEASE beware of galvanised pipe - the fumes from the zinc burning will KILL. be sure to burn it off in a well ventilated area. Or better yet find something else. it doesn't have to be round pipe either.

I've used a piece of mild steel pipe in the picture above. Its about 1.5" across. ...ish. You don't have to go for a side blown design either. There are numerous designs out there online for a bottom blown design. But this one is simply easier.

The pipe extends behind the block to my air source which is as said a hand cranked blower. Though a hair drier is much easier and quicker to forge with.

once your brake drum is bracketed, start a fire in there and chuck on some charcoal/coal/coke. I do it like this just to focus the heat and provide a back stop for any flying bits of charcoal.

P1000051.jpg

Give it a wee while to really get going then start forging ;) I finished this at about 3pm today and got an hours forging in before the rain stopped play.

P1000053.jpg

Now as I said this is just a very basic forge. It's very simple to build and really rather cheap.

The brake drum was a fiver from the scrap yard.
The aerated breeze blocks were from wickes and were £1.34 each.

Cheapo hair drier from tesco is around a tenner. - boom you're forging for £20

At some point I'll learn how to weld and really invest some money in building something really nice and solid, but for now this will get me forging.

Hope this inspires some one out there.

All the best
Andy

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
That's pretty cool, it's a fairly simple set-up but what I've been wondering is how I could make a very primitive forge, using maybe a rock hammer and a rock anvil. Could a blowpipe made from elder wood provide enough air flow to heat the coals surrounding the piece?

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Sure. How many slaves do you have? I'd be out of breath in about five minutes.

You'd be better off with bag bellows like the ones Dave budd uses. As for a rock hammer/ anvil combination. It can be done. Granite or basalt block would be good.

Theres an awful lot more work doing it this way. Have you done it before? I'm not sure it's where I'd suggest a beginner start.

You'd be better off with using an old sedge hammer head and proper hammers. Even then it's harder to work on than say a rail track anvil.

Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Well guys today was spent using the forge again to get some more bits made. I needed to make myself some tongs for holding arrow heads and subsequently arrows.

The tongs were a right pain and I've burnt through over 50% of my fuel. Nightmare, going to have to source something else more local!

P1000056.jpg

I put the brick in there to try and confine the heat a bit more. The charcoal I'm using burns hot but very fast which was a bit annoying.

That hand cranked blower packed in today. The impeller fan is loose and it feels like the gears aren't biting. I'll have to take it home and get a decent fix sorted.

Can you see what I'm cooking?
P1000058.jpg

A couple of bodkin style arrow heads. Bit big, they were a practice for an order I've got coming up. The new tongs work like a charm. But tbh you can tell I haven't done any smithing in a few months. My hands are killing me and my work was a bit rough, hammer marks and the second arrowhead was a bit off. Perfectly serviceable but not up to the standard I'm after. Good job I got plenty of material in to practice with.

P1000059.jpg

Forged some hooks last night for one of the guys on here. These have a beeswax finish.

P1000063.jpg

And finally those tongs. These took forever to forge out by hand, this was definitely one of those times you want a mate with a sledge hammer who is easily bribed with bacon sandwiches/ beer.

P1000066.jpg

They are nice and grippy

P1000067.jpg

Cheers guys.
Andy

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
aah superb! love the hooks they look braw mate

i have a question about the forge. is there a reason you do not add a third wall to it with another brick? or doyou need the airflow through the gap between the two walls?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Hey, I see a good way of decorating my mums garden a bit more.:) Not sure if she sees it the same way though...

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers guys.

Hamish - I've left the sides open so I can put long stock through the forge. Closing it off means I can only work on short stuff. It just makes the forge a bit more versatile.

It might be worth closing off that end next time though. I've run out of bricks now though! lol.

I ended up going back to the hair drier this afternoon. The hand cranked blower was doing a grand job until it broke! :/ typical.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE