OSINAF - Ghetto forge build-along

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Certainly looks easy when you know what you are doing as you obviously do. Amazing how little you need for a forge too.
The tongs are a work of art and I was wondering how the collar of the arrow head was done and that explains it.

Looking forward to a trade of crafts bud ;) Would also like to see the forge in action when your up to speed. Are you still near me?

Ps will work for larger or bacon.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Aye. Living in wirral now mate. Got a busy week ahead but should be able to spare a few days after Christmas / early new year. Will happily have you round for a play. :)

pretty chuffed with the tongs but tbh I'm glad I don't make them often. They take a lot to forge out. Making myself a rounding hammer though so that might make things easier.

I'll post a step by step of forging an arrow head later in the week.

Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I don't think they are a permanent solution by any means. They break down eventually. But they're only £1.34 each.

Youd want insulation bricks really mate. I only paid about £1.50 each for mine. It's just postage that kills it.

Try the aerated breeze blocks. They might work, they might not. I really don't know.

Cheers
andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Back in the forge for an hour or so today.

Bashed out a few more arrow heads trying to get better at it. The tongs are definitely earning their way as things are much easier now I've got them.

P1000145.jpg

I put together a rounding hammer with a new handle last week which I used for the first time today and it is definitely a winner. The handle and faces need a bit more cleaning up but on the whole very happy with that!

As you can see I've also made a wee buckle for Dreadhead. Much smaller than I would usually make and tbh a right bugger. I think I might need another special set of tongs to hold the small round! :(
The buckle turned out pretty well though don't you think?

The arrow heads need to be 8.73mm wide at the most open part of the socket. They aren't perfect yet. Nearly there though.....

P1000149.jpg

Cheers guys

Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Wow love the way you just got up and running so quickly. You obviously know what you're doing, how long have you been smithing for?

Ive been doing it for about 5-6 years now. Set up a forge back home and brought the smaller anvil up to the new house with me.
so that's why I've got all the tools and stuff set up already. Just needed a place to heat up the steel.

Working a two week rota offshore means I get a decent amount of time to play around too.

I could always put some pictures up of my tools?

Cheers

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Fine looking stuff mate, very nice.

How long does it take from lighting the forge to hot enough to beat metal?

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
Ive been doing it for about 5-6 years now. Set up a forge back home and brought the smaller anvil up to the new house with me.
so that's why I've got all the tools and stuff set up already. Just needed a place to heat up the steel.

Working a two week rota offshore means I get a decent amount of time to play around too.

I could always put some pictures up of my tools?

Cheers

Yes when you get a moment that would be v interesting to see. Thanks :) Not something I know much about and I would have thought you would have needed a much more complicated (read expensive!) setup to do this. Learning every day in this place!

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Busy day today. Haven't had time to take pictures. And it's too blooming cold out just now. Will do this tomorrow.
Cheers

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
Love the new ghetto forge mate. It just goes to show what can be done with very little and shows people that even though you've moved a few times recently you 'can' still do.
Big thumbs up from me.
I can see you re-vamping the whole set up in the near future but for now this will (have to ? ) do.

Have you thought about actually using a steel car wheel to keep the fire in ?

Anyway glad your keeping your hand in.
ATB

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers Richie.
Yup, just goes to show you can get going quite quickly and easily.

Yeah, this one is definitely just to get me bashing metal. I'll hopefully get something a bit more substantial in a bit. If not the local scrappy has some oil drums so I might get medieval on one if those with an angle grinder and some cutting discs! I'll post it in here if / when I do.

Had hoped to get back at it today but its bloomin' raining! Grr botheration ..... :/

Cheers guys

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Morning chaps. Offshore again just now but keep an eye on this thread early in the new year. I've something more substantial planned and sketched out.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE