Charcoal Making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Charcoal Making

I've inherited a wood shed of well seasoned wood - Mostly a mix of predominately Hazel , Oak and some cherry.

I want to empty the wood shed for a different project ( Chalet style cabin ) and the current wood burner in the house isn't efficient at all , so there seems little point burning it as wood.

I have enough space and access to a 240lt metal drum with lid.

So thinking of having a go at loading it up and turning that wood into Charcoal.

How difficult is it? Control of heat and air - looking for some tips.

Can downscale this to a smaller metal drum if required for a few more controllable test batches.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Small burns are more difficult to control than larger ones, things don't scale down that well. That said, a 200l oil drum isn't too hard and will give about a wheel barrow full of charcoal. An oil drum only takes a day to stack, burn and cool; so easy to experiment with

If you go that route, then it's worth running the wood through twice. The first one burn slowly and you'll get loads of brown ends as well as coals. Save the browns from the next couple of time and run them through a burn. The browns will give you a far greater yield of charcoal than the previous burns that started with wood. With a full sized kiln (even a 4' ring) the fire is controllable to dry everything and then convert slowly to get everything nice.

I wrote an article for the forum a while back about making charcoal. I'm sure if you look it is still around ;)

Reactions: Toddy and TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is Dave's article :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE