OSINAF - Ghetto forge build-along

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Just a couple of months late but this is the "long awaited" MK2 version of my ghetto forge

I had intended on using an oil drum for the base of the construction but when it came to it the scrap yard didn't have any. So I found a decent sized drawer from a metal filing cabinet.

P1000151.jpg

Add some flimsy legs made from rebar. - I was planning on using the new welder to fit these, then weld some supports around the base to make it more sturdy, but it proved to be a PITA, so I just bolted the legs on which was a bit easier.

P1000152.jpg

All this needs to be is a container to hold a reasonable amount of fuel. It doesn't need to be anything serious. you could do it in a metal bucket if you really wanted. But just make sure it's not galvanised.

I used the bricks from the mk1 version to line the base of the drawer. I needed to cut these down slightly to fit in the box, I didn't want to ruin a good saw, so I bought a cheap one for the job. - I really recommend you do this if any of you use these bricks to build a forge, they will cut fine. but your saw will me knackered. - the one I used is utterly blunt now.

P1000153.jpg

P1000154.jpg

Finally I cut two large openings in either side to allow me to work long stock.

P1000155.jpg

As it turns out I made these a little too large and a little too deep in the box. But luckily I kept the offcuts so I can stick them in and adjust accordingly.

Finally a shot of me about to fire it up.
P1000156.jpg

You can see the forge up and running in this thread
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105723

I need to make something to hold my hair drier in place - its pretty basic just now.

The forge is just another one to get me going at the new house. Ultimately I'd like to replace it once more with something a bit more serious, but as it stands this forge is running well, and it's not going to fall apart any time soon. Total cost has been less than £30 to build.

I was using coke to fuel it but the local supply is awful stuff, I'm hoping to find a better supply or I'll go back to using charcoal.

you can see this and more on my blog
http://andrewmckenziefeatherforge.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers
Andy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE