Orange Rescue Panel - with Reflective strips.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We are careful here not to cry wolf. Not to flash a bunch of emergency rescue orange until it becomes absolutely necessary. There's an international pattern set of ground markings, signals, that should be on a card in everyone's kit.

Although, I think I have an older version...
jim+phone+195.JPG

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Did see these long carry bags

In orange could be useful for multiple purposes as a panel, sit mat or ground cloth.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I came across the following which I'm sharing as I thought it was interesting and demonstrative of rescue panels Size vs ability to be seen.

Video at 3mins in.

I appreciate that in the UK the possibility of the requirements of being rescued via observation via aircraft is just not likely but I thought I would share this anyway.

Not sure how much an 18" x 18" high vis panel is going to 'ping' out for rescuers at distance on a mountainside or similar environment.

As the actress said to the bishop - Size does matter.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
On a sidenote about rescue; there have been at least two cases where lost hikers were rescued with the help of police drones in Finland. In both cases police found the lost persons via the drone and (via phone) told them to follow the drone to the police car.

One case was a person who did not find back to the road and the other a family that did not find the path back to the car in the dark.
Video of the first case:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
On a sidenote about rescue; there have been at least two cases where lost hikers were rescued with the help of police drones in Finland. In both cases police found the lost persons via the drone and (via phone) told them to follow the drone to the police car.

One case was a person who did not find back to the road and the other a family that did not find the path back to the car in the dark.
Video of the first case:

I guess that is useful if one can facilitate a self rescue and is mobile without injury.

Drones certainly are having more useful applications for small units.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've purchased a roll of Orange Parachute fabric. 1 m wide x 10 m long.

If you were going to design/craft your own rescue panel for Hiking/Car ( the two most probable scenarios imo ) what features or design template would you try to include?

Parachute fabric packs down very small.

Size of Panel?
Shape of Panel?
Reflective Tape on Panel? If so in what pattern?
How would you secure/maximise the Panels?
Additional functions/functionality that could be designed in.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've purchased a roll of Orange Parachute fabric. 1 m wide x 10 m long.

If you were going to design/craft your own rescue panel for Hiking/Car ( the two most probable scenarios imo ) what features or design template would you try to include?

Parachute fabric packs down very small.

Size of Panel?
Shape of Panel?
Reflective Tape on Panel? If so in what pattern?
How would you secure/maximise the Panels?
Additional functions/functionality that could be designed in.

I'd look at making it big enough to act as a shelter/tarp - sew 2 c.2m strips side by side and seam seal the join. Reinforce the edges with webbing (and/or retroreflective tape), sew loops on each corner and halfway along each side.

You could sew/stick reflective tape in one of these patterns:

d0cbc2a4401e78bd35417f5560db77a6.jpg

An arrow would be useful in case you decide to try to walk out. Could have it on the underside if you're staying put.

For additional functionality, you could use poppers or Velcro so you could close it up into a makeshift bivy bag.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I quite like the look of this sort of thing - however , bigger , wider.

So incorporating survival scarf , rescue panel ,light bivvy ,material gathering bag, possible Tarp config..

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Titan Survival make a large mylar blanket with the vs17 signal panel colours.

Though think price & quantity they're selling them at is little ott.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE