One layer leather boots (no membrane)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a pair of one layer leather boots for normal use, from walking the dog to hiking. I don't want a membrane because the never dry when they get wet and I tend to get wet in them anyway, even if it's dry outside.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have seen some military boots that I believe is one layer.

Like the Norwegian M77 combat boot.
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/norwegian-m77-combat-boots/25108

But I prefer non military, and I really don't like the cellrubber style of Lundhags.

Any suggestions?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Perhaps look at Lowa Patrol boots? Available in brown or black, and lined with Cambrelle (hard wearing, wicking, quickdrying fabric) rather than a membrane. Cracking boots, tried and tested for years....

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Altberg sneekers in black, look like any other hiking boots and are very comfortable + dry quickly.

Tonyuk

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
Thanks, will look into altberg. But i actually prefer the Red Wing look. More old school built up boot without the thick padding that the Altbergs had around the ankles/calves.

But red wing are too expensive. Are there any British high quality country boots that flies under the radar and doesn't cost half a car?

Last edited:

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Oh yeah, they are a lifetime boot. I really want the Hobnails... But dont actually need them.

They still arent cheap boots, but are properly hand made in england using heritage techniques and heritage equipment... To the best of my knowledge. And are often actually cheaper than the more expensive Martens and Redwings, you will wait a few weeks for them to be made though.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Anyone have any suggestions? I have seen some military boots that I believe is one layer.

You can still buy brown Swedish welted m/59 boots from eBay for around 30 € / £25 without shipping. Similar Finnish ones are available for the same price, but currently only in Finland.

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
Thank you for the tips on the rufflander boots. Looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Will check them out. Are there any other under the radar great British shoe brands that I also never heard of?

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Loads of shoe brands... Mostly at the upper mid to ultra high end, quite a few of these make dress boots too and a couple may make more hard wearing offering.

But I believe that Altberg and William Lennon are the last two out and out boot makers left here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE