Boots - pure leather Vs membrane?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Norell

Oct 16, 2022
Denmark
Hi,

I'm a person who suffers from very warm feet, yet, the weather does at times force me to wear boots. To exemplify just how warm: I've worn regular hiking boots in the Greenlandic winter and spring while the Inuits wore thick, insulated boots...

So far I've learned that leather boots work better for me than synthetic ones in terms of breathability, and until now, I've only worn boots with a "waterproof, breathable" membrane, such as Gore-Tex (because I never knew footwear was made without membranes nowadays).

Now I've learned that - though seemingly hard to come by - leather boots without membranes exist.
So my question is: Does anyone have experience with membrane-less boots (which would then be waxed for waterproofing) Vs membrane boots (which I still wax, but more as conditioning than waterproofing) and which are better for warm feet?

~ Norell

Reactions: jtkirkland

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Personally I prefer boots without membranes, my feet sweat less, feel cooler and the boots dry faster if they wet out.
It has always struck me as pointless having a membrane as if you wax your leather boots, you are essentially trapping any moisture that should be escaping from the membrane, same as if they get soaked.
I can recommend Altberg Sneekers, and if you prefer barefoot style or have very wide toes, Vivo Barefoot Tracker Forests.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I used to have a pair of Lundhags medium high boots and the had no lining whatsoever but were completely waterproof as long as they were treated with some regularity (I used Viking Fiskarsmorning, which apparently is the same as 2GO mountain dubbin). I never had any issues with my feet getting hot in them, so in that regard they were great, but they were not as comfortable as lined boots.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I also I prefer boots without membranes just use a boot polish or dubbin to keep the water at bay. They breath better and I don’t sweat in them as much. Membranes once wet stay wet.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Definitely without lining / membrane, just pure leather upper suits my feet best. My boney feet tend to rapidly rip through most lining even on the higher end stuff such as Meindl and Hiax.

There are plenty of lliner less boots out there but are often made the traditional way and therefore cost a premium.

William Lennon do a good range. I work in my Zug grain field boots all day without issue. I just apply some Renapur or Olde Seaman (yes that’s what it’s called!) few times a year no issues.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If the membrane breaks in continuously folded points you have a hole in your water proof layer. In my opinion the classical pure leather boots with sewn sole are the best construction.

I guess you can get Meidl Perfekt in Britain? You could try these.

Or order hand made boots in your individual measures during your holidays.
Here is my currently most complete list of makers for classical hiking boots.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Here's another shout out for Lundhags. I have tried the all-leather-versus-membrane-boots thing and still come back to Lundhags, mostly because their foot shape suits me down to a tee. I was wary of having my foot encased in rubber initially but, in use, my worries were unfounded. Ultimately, they are light, supportive and are extremely easy to live with.

Having said that, I do still have a pair of Altberg boots with a membrane and, over the years, have never suffered from water ingress. Maybe it's just that the boot makers cannot achieve a satisfactory level of consistency when making boots with membranes?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think there are huge differences between issued military boots and civil low budget patterns. But I don't run around in streams and swamps and didn't try them out.

Nevertheless modern army boots are usually throw away constructions. If they leak the soldiers get new ones.
They are rather made comfortable than durable nowadays.

duir

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2006
Cumbria
I never understand a top quality leather boot needing a waterproof liner makes no sense. Thick good quality leather and proofed with wax is way superior. The problem with liners is once they get wetted out they take an age to dry.
I have had a set of Lowa Patrol boots with no liner for years and have lasted a long time but they lack a high enough rand so the leather gets scuffed and the sizing was always a little too big.
I think the ideal boot would be the latest issue Iturri military boots with a high rand or but with an option of no waterproof liner.
Altberg do a liner free model called the Military Ops which looks excellent except the rand is too low but they are £200+

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I do like lundhags but they are mainly a cold weather boot. Remember a friend wearing them in summer heat and he came down with immersion foot purely because his feet sweated so much.

I still have a pair of lundhag survivals I wear in snow conditions only

Reactions: gibson 175

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE