Offensive Weapons Act 2019: surrender and compensation scheme. December 2020 - March 2021

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Personally I served in the Air Force but the AF sword doesn’t really attract my attention. Nor the Marine Corps sword as such (although it’s history of how it was adopted is another story) I do have an affinity for cavalry sabers and naval cutlasses though.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
And what really is the difference between straight and curved swords?

You cannot even really say ISLAMIC as cutlasses and cavalry sabres are also curved.

(But I do think there is a degree of discrimination here...not that I am one of those PC sorts always keen to sniff ot micro-aggressions. Some things are just fishy).

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex

You cannot even really say ISLAMIC as cutlasses and cavalry sabres are also curved.

(But I do think there is a degree of discrimination here...not that I am one of those PC sorts always keen to sniff ot micro-aggressions. Some things are just fishy).
I read somewhere that it was to target Samurai style swords. These do seem to feature frequently as ornaments in non ninja homes.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I read somewhere that it was to target Samurai style swords. These do seem to feature frequently as ornaments in non ninja homes.
Yes it is wholly to put a stop to those pesky Samurai sword like objects, unfortunately it could well cover the trusty pirate cutlass as well.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Schrodingers Ninja in the movies, one Ninja on his own is silent and deadly, a whole bunch of them attacking and they are just cannon fodder.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Yes it is wholly to put a stop to those pesky Samurai sword like objects, unfortunately it could well cover the trusty pirate cutlass as well.
I guess it could, unless it was hand forged or made before 1954.
Whilst I can see it will bring on the pains for true enthusiasts it could be argued that the majority of the items now banned serve little practical legitimate purpose in the 21st century

Reactions: Minotaur

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Generally curved swords are designed for slashing whereas straight swords are designed for stabbing. Loads and loads of overlap though.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I think they would have been better to mention the handle and guard, not just the blade. The blade length is relevant, but the concealability of the small Japanese guard and handle, compared to European swords, is more relevant than straight vs curved blades.

Reactions: santaman2000

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I guess it could, unless it was hand forged or made before 1954.
Whilst I can see it will bring on the pains for true enthusiasts it could be argued that the majority of the items now banned serve little practical legitimate purpose in the 21st century
Whilst I am not going to worry about ridiculous zombie blades, and silly toys like shuriken, there is a legitimate following for sabre fencing according to the military manual of the nineteenth century.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Has anyone any knowledge on how the fencing clubs using sabres are going to deal with this? Will it be like Olympic pistol shooting teams who have some exemptions?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Has anyone any knowledge on how the fencing clubs using sabres are going to deal with this? Will it be like Olympic pistol shooting teams who have some exemptions?

It is very clearly covered in the act:

(ii) It is a defence to possess swords described in the Order if: (a) it is shown that the weapon was made before 1954 or was made at any other time according to the traditional methods of making swords by hand; (b) it is shown that possession is for religious reasons or for the purpose of making the weapon available for the purposes of use in religious ceremonies for religious reasons; (c) it shown that possession is for the purposes only of making the weapon available for, or participating in, a permitted activity – i.e a historical reenactment or sporting activity;

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
It is very clearly covered in the act:

(ii) It is a defence to possess swords described in the Order if: (a) it is shown that the weapon was made before 1954 or was made at any other time according to the traditional methods of making swords by hand; (b) it is shown that possession is for religious reasons or for the purpose of making the weapon available for the purposes of use in religious ceremonies for religious reasons; (c) it shown that possession is for the purposes only of making the weapon available for, or participating in, a permitted activity – i.e a historical reenactment or sporting activity;
No foul then. Thank you

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The first are star shaped with at least 4 points, the latter are knife shape with only one point.
Or did you mean what is different about how you throw them?
Or did you mean why are the stars illegal and the knives not?

Bear in mind that that the original list of illegal bladed things was pretty much drawn up directly from the old Battle Orders catalogue/poster by people who had more horror of pointy things than expertise about them. So, it is highly unlikely that you will find much satisfying logic behind one thing being on the list, vs something else not being on it. Also, it doesn't do to point this out too loudly since the obvious solution will be to add everything else to the list, not remove things from it!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
And it was admitted that the original list didnt make much sense??

So how is the new better?

And has anything been taken off?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Tengu,
(said with tongue in cheek)
Of course it wasn't admitted that parts of the original list made little sense. That isn't how governments work! You are old enough to have noticed this ;)

New lists have more entries, which makes them better. This is how governments work :biggrin2:

No, nothing has been taken off....are you mad?! Just think of the headlines!! Irresponsible Ministers derestrict an offensive weapon?!? The mobs would be out with torches and pitchforks baying for blood.
:lmao:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Tengu,
(said with tongue in cheek)
Of course it wasn't admitted that parts of the original list made little sense. That isn't how governments work! You are old enough to have noticed this ;)

New lists have more entries, which makes them better. This is how governments work :biggrin2:

No, nothing has been taken off....are you mad?! Just think of the headlines!! Irresponsible Ministers derestrict an offensive weapon?!? The mobs would be out with torches and pitchforks baying for blood.
:lmao:
Except pitchforks are banned :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Looks like a rich already answered the question but I think but only asking about sabers you narrowed the scope too much. I’m sure those using sabers aren’t the only sorting clubs. Sporting matches with the maligned katana is indeed a legitimate sporting activity. There are also any martial arts programs that still teach the throwing star (although I don’t know of any copetitions with them) Also think of the Medieval Fighting Society’s tournaments.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE