Norway Jan 2013 - Five (plus one) go wild on the Nordmarka

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Willowisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Reutlingen, Germany
Wow, you had a really good time there in the snow. Thanks for sharing this with us, Gentlemen!
I'm impressed with how you protected your base camp from the cold and with the array of skills (and humour) you showed during your adventure.

Usually I can't wait for spring to come during winter time, but your pictures made me rethink...

:You_Rock_

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Looks like fun. [I thought you'd caught a char or something, looking at the photos of the filleted fish]

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
074.jpg

:) love it! Looks like a big one! Did he put up a good fight Martin?

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Very good work all of you thanks for sharing you have inspired a lot of bushcrafters with your trip great photos and good ice fishing. I hope i catch a chesse burger on my trip :lmao: ...

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Gents.

Any points to note re kit used ie worked well/not so well/essential, and what (if anything) would be different for a similar venture?

For me; the Army wristlets were fantastic, they'll be a permanent part of my kit; thanks for sourcing them.

The mittens Decorum made me were in their element, very warm. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74753&highlight=mittens Thanks Phil :)

Hand warmers (open, shake to activate ) for warming the boots overnight didn't function at all - must of had a complete bad batch of 20 waste of weight TBH

Army Mukluks have no grip in compacted snow/ice and you walk like a newborn giraffe

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Ok here we go my effort now:)

I have finally got my Pics uploaded and video will have to wait till I have wait a little while whilst I sort out some editor stuff

OK to start with here is the camp
IMAG0011.jpg
The parachute did a really good job, no water got through at any point and even when it froze and we got a little rain still it had no problems

some more camp photos now :)

IMAG0013.jpgIMAG0012.jpgIMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0054.jpgIMAG0055.jpgIMAG0059.jpgIMAG0069.jpg

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
OK next on to some projects that we had planned

Firstly How good is a Jervens bag with a candle in it.

Out came test dummy 1 aka Karl (he was main danger tester )

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

our little gnome was warm and dry and did not want to come out but we convinced him with a sausage and lomper.

On one clear night I did a bit of night Navigation the stars were bright

IMAG0092.jpg

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
With the signal fire came the signal cross as well both were disassembled because we were in no need of any form of rescue

IMAG0030.jpg

Cue next tester Martin K9 in his whites trying to blend in with the local scenery

IMAG0019.jpg

trouble seeing him try these other photos

IMAG0020.jpgIMAG0021.jpgIMAG0023.jpg

Now coffee wallah was required and he needed to let us know, under a pre-arranged signal Karl was dispatched

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
I did a cultural day a did a few trips to museums, which included the Norwegian museum of cultural history this had lots of out standing buildings and exhibitions of Norway which included some things on the Sami

IMAG0115.jpgIMAG0112.jpgIMAG0113.jpgIMAG0114.jpg

including some semi permanent buildings

IMAG0146.jpgIMAG0132.jpgIMAG0133.jpgIMAG0136.jpg

There were other traditional buildings to

IMAG0119.jpgIMAG0122.jpgIMAG0123.jpgIMAG0125.jpgIMAG0127.jpgIMAG0128.jpg

I then did the Viking ship museum, the Kon-Tiki museum, Norwegian Maritime museum, the Polar ship FRAM, later I did the Resistance museum which was in the Akershus Fortress and Castle (lots to see there and finally the Armed Forces Museum (which cover history and artefacts from 1300 to present day)

The way to do all this is a day pass which gives you access to the transport network of Oslo for free as well as entry into all the museums and discounts around Oslo in various places around the town as well (restaurants etc.)

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
lastly various pictures around our site and other things

:)

I hope you enjoyed these snaps.

IMAG0008.jpgIMAG0009.jpg

I did have one of my knives fail on me (Always use a full tang blade to an environment like that)

IMAG0053.jpgIMAG0045.jpgIMAG0046.jpgIMAG0048.jpgIMAG0049.jpgIMAG0050.jpgIMAG0052.jpg

some tracks in the snow

IMAG0077.jpgIMAG0073.jpgIMAG0074.jpgIMAG0075.jpg

Thank you to everyone especially the fellow travellers : Two Dogs, Martin K9, Cliv and Karl + Andy

The locals especially Skaukraft and Varangian for their company, food and tipple :) But every Norwegian I met was welcoming and friendly. A great people.

To Norway....I'll be back

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm soooo looking forward to the show n tell of the purchases :) Fabulous pics and write up, it's a shame your camera died of the cold though Martin :S Thank you all so much for sharing your winter hols with us :)

The camp looks like luxury rather than mere survivability, did the para-laavu function as well as you'd hoped? Looks cushty, packed with all your gear!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE