North Meet. Definately On. Confirm if you're interested

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
OK it's looking like the last weekend in October is good for most people.

We're looking into a couple of site posibilities in the Lake District but any other ideas would still be welcome at this stage.

Scruff. I don't think there is any reason why non members can not come but it would be nice if people introduced themselves a little before the weekend.

James. Keep an eye on the thread. as soon as we have the venue sorted I'll post for people to confirm their interest by PM.

The next thing that would be good to know is if people are interested in teaching or learning any skills in particular.

This will be an informal arrangement, that seemed to work well on the Scottish meet but it just helps if we know what sort of knowledge base we have.

By the look of some of you that have already shown interest It has the makings of a good weekend.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
OK, Skills wise I can offer:

Pole lathe turning - using muscle power to turn greenwood objects on a lathe.
Spoon carving - various methods to make wooden eating spoons.
Leatherworking - using vegetable tanned leather to make useful gear like pouches and sheaths.
Archery - I'll have four or five bows and loads of home made arrows to play with.
Safe axe and knife handling - these skills will be incorporated into the other skill areas.

Eric

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
i dont know if i can teach anything but what little i know i will do what i can. so i would say i will be a lerner i would love 2 know about the bows how 2 make them and use them. i tryed 2 make an ash bow was going well till i relised the wood had split.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Skillwise, I'm not sure how much I can offer, apart from a learning ear and/or a contrary example :eek: . I can do fire by friction (sometimes) cook a bit, recognise a few (far too few) edibles, bodge a bit, carve a bit. I've made bows, some of which worked I can just about paddle a bit, and my new canoe just arrived so somewhere in the Lakes would be cool if anyone fancies a splash...I'll be oop there with my new toy even if this bash doesn't come off :D :D :D

Wayland, I'm a bit tied up this week/weekend, but can do next. There's a reputedly decent beer pub in Delph, which seems roughly equidistant - the Royal Oak. Or WHY?

Eric - I'd love to find out about the pole lathe, as I missed the Ashdown pole lathe blokey...

Jim.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
You can count me in too. The proposed dates are fine for me, but then any dates at all are also fine so i'll go whenever it is. It would be great to try out my new hammock :) I could also bring a couple of recurve bows, and am always willing to learn anything thats going. I can also help out with some organising and / or site suitability trips if its in Cumbria cos i'm local :)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Date mentioned would be grand. I'll be traipsing back up from a knapping course on friday night with a head full of stone age thoughts. Stopping off for a meet would make the weekend. :)
Learning to make a belt pouch would be nice(and handy).

I'll stick the target in the car and fill the gaps with bows, boats, tools and whisky :D .

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Groovesky, can you bring your knapping gear and maybe some spare lumps of flint. I've read the books but need to see someone actually knapping, or someone to show me how.

Eric

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Eric_Methven said:
Groovesky, can you bring your knapping gear and maybe some spare lumps of flint. I've read the books but need to see someone actually knapping, or someone to show me how.

Eric

I'm pretty sure I've got a bag of (small) nodules in the back-bedroom somewhere.

I'm at least as poor a knapper as I am a bowyer, mind you :eek: :eek: :eek:

Will try to locate & bring along...

Jim.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
John Lord is the master of flintknapping, try going on one of his workshops. He has also written a book about flintknapping that I can bring to the next meet.

Eric_Methven said:

Eric

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Certainly, I'll bring all the gear and show what I can.

It's John Lord who I'm doing the course with the day before so hopefully will be a few tips wiser by then. Maybe a bit of tuition can drag me into the neolithic. :rolleyes:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Typical eh, I've just moved from Lancashire and you lot arrange a meet. Umm, something to be read into that!! :p

Guys, I hope you have a fabulous time, the growth of members up that way has been quite considerable and it will be good for you all to meet up, get to know each other etc.

Good job Wayland in getting it off the ground. :D

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Gaz, It'll probably be a mixture of hammocks and tarps for the hard men and tents for the softies! :rolleyes:

I've got a nice big hammock and a monster tarp and I use a sheepskin under my double sleeping bag. :D

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE