no job and no well

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
hi, i am one of the latest victims of the credit crunch/recession .i was a foreman/ganger in the house building ind.so i am out of work and do not see me getting anything this year at least.i am sat wondering what to do to get a pay ,it is not the best time of year to be laid off,not that anytime is a good time with two small kids and a mortgage.on top of this i feel unwell, sods law......anyway thats the moan over , i,m sure i,m not the only one here in the same boat.if i felt well i could do a bit of bushcrafting.is there anyone in the same position and what are your thoughts please. Gill

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've had a few times when my work went a bit slack so I usually tried the temping agencies for work.

Sometimes it was driving, sometimes factory or labour but there was always something that would bring the money in.

Don't know how it is now but it's worth a try.

Good luck.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sorry to hear that Gill, there should be a law against laying folk off this near to xmas, a couple of my mates are in the same boat also.

Waylands suggestions are a good start, hope you get something soonest.

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
I know a few people who have been laid off over the past month. They were employed in construction as well. All i can think is try the supermarkets for work, probably better than dole money and you keep you head held high!

Andy >>>>>----------------------------------<>

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Thats bloody awful news mate. Worse time of year as well. I hope that something works out for you, one thing i would say is that it might be worth sticking spec letter into the big govmt bodies in your area like your local NHS trust etc, always seems to be some sort of work going and they always seem to need a large maintenance dept. You never know it might be worth a couple of stamps.

Anyway mate I hope your feeling better soon and something works out for you - you have my sympathies indeed.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
if your in construction, then you are generally fit and use to lugging heavy objects and may have a class 1 licence. Both are great skills to have for being a stage hand, ie a humper basically all you do is manual labour moving gear at meetings, concerts and festivals.

look for stage crew in the yellow pages. Im just off a job and all 5 humpers were former construction workers

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Thats terrible. I hope you can get work soon. yes agencies are a good start, its awful work, I spent a couple of years temping in factories but usually if you dont like somewhere you can move on fairly quickly. Im not doing so well either, but Im lucky not to have kids and a mortgage, in a way Ive got little to lose. I recently gave up my masters degree because I cannot afford it and we are struggling with the bills at the moment, but like you, I find a jaunt doing bushcraft really helps. (or it may be the drinking round a campfire with good company that really does the trick!!)
isnt there any scottish meets you can go to?

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Sorry to here that mate. Im a plasterer and very lucky that i have never been in that position, but quite a few of my mates have. Hope every thing works out for you.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
thanks for the advice guys , i have an sia lisence as well as a handfull of construction tickets.maybe look into the supermarkets for security staff cctv staff ,i don,t have a class 1 though mate ,drove class 2 for a while though. i,m sore sitting at the pc all week scanning for work.i,m sure something will come up though

pataviking

Feb 21, 2007
ozarks, U S A
I dom't know if you can do this in England , but maybe you could put an ad in the locals papers and do handyman / fixer- upper work on other folks houses now, when times are slow. Paint, clean gutter, re-model,. patch leaks in the roof, caulk the window, trim the trees. I don't know if you could do this with all the regs in England, you might have to have a whole fist full of permits or various other paperwork. you could also hang flyers or a home-made pamphlets in supermarket, lumberyard / hardware stores if they have a bulletin board. might be able to find some day or week long jobs.

Sorry I am a Dang Yank, hope you understand what I am trying to say. I am speaking English aren't I?

maybe this will help spark your imagination to think of something to help get through these times. Pat

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
I dom't know if you can do this in England , but maybe you could put an ad in the locals papers and do handyman / fixer- upper work on other folks houses now, when times are slow. Paint, clean gutter, re-model,. patch leaks in the roof, caulk the window, trim the trees. I don't know if you could do this with all the regs in England, you might have to have a whole fist full of permits or various other paperwork. you could also hang flyers or a home-made pamphlets in supermarket, lumberyard / hardware stores if they have a bulletin board. might be able to find some day or week long jobs.

Sorry I am a Dang Yank, hope you understand what I am trying to say. I am speaking English aren't I?

maybe this will help spark your imagination to think of something to help get through these times. Pat

What your saying makes sense ;)

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I know this probably isn't what your looking for but a lot of the shops like argos next etc are looking for box packers store hands etc for the run up for chistmas, unfortunately you usually get your books at the end of boxing day but, it might be better than nothing. Oh actually your not far from me Aldi's looking for staff down your way and hrconsultancy.co.uk is looking for Order Picker/Packers (pay's absolute *deleted for the kiddies on the site*).

Hope this helps and aldi's pay isn't too bad its well over minimum wage.

G'luck

Wayland

Hárbarðr

Very good sense indeed, there's always work around for a good trust handyman and with your skills as a builder there must be loads of stuff you could turn your hands too.

You never know, this might be an opportunity in wolf's clothing.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
you are speaking sense my friend ,i understand . working abroad is an option i have considered ,don,t know how it would work out for me with the family though.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Have mates in the same boat,must be hundreds around our way laid off recently.

Why not come to Morchs' meet in November,it's not far to travel so not expensive for a good weekend out.

Good luck looking though mate,I just don't know of anything at the mo'.

Tom.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i will certainly try and get to your meet Dave,aint that far from me either .hope to see you all there. Gill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE