no job and no well

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hard luck pal - I got it in the neck in April - but things have not been quite as tight for me so I've had some time off - I needed it. Health and happiness is more inportant that cash sometimes in your life I've found. But now I'm in need too - I wish you luck.

ecobandit

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
northumberland
Hi gill sorry to hear your bad news,just happened to me 30 september,company I worked for told us on the 30,th that the months wages would,nt be paid as they had called in the recievers,(sold part of the company to a bigger co in aberdeen but not the bit I worked for 35 workers lost their jobs)also would,nt get wages in lieu of notice or holiday pay owed(we,ll get some of it back off the government but it can take up to three months lol!)no expenses neither(work away most of the time and have to pay our own digs then get it back at the end of the month!) so had nowt since 1st of september just keep sending the c.v.s away and hope for the best!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Have you got a good professional CV? I can help you with that if you like.

tempings an idea, plus looking in your local paper, (and just asking around)

Have you tried speculative letters? (not neccisarily asking for wotk; just ask to see HR in order to make a good impression on them)

You seem to take work seriously, and have good qualifications and the like, keep applying, employers are looking for hard workers.

Theres a bug going round, at least you are not having to take time off!

(Says she who has only ever done odd jobs, and is still trying to find `real` work...)

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
have you thought about driving buses? All over the country there is a shortage of bus drivers,some companies will put you through your test and guarantee you a job.The drawback to this is you may have to repay the training costs on a weekly basis or in full if you don't take the job.I know first do this and so do veolia,Give them a try.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Sorry to hear your bad news Gill. Perhaps you could look into working in care work for a Nursing Agency? I did that in the past and they always had work to offer. Once they get to know you and find you are reliable, there is normally plenty of work to be had.

I used to be a qualified nurse but also worked as a carer for the BNA. Always had work through them. And it was reasonably well paid too.
Whatever you choose to do, good luck.

There does not seem to ba a BNA in Kilmarnock, but plenty of Nursing Agencies:

http://www.nursing-agencies-list.com/town_citygroup.asp?town_city=Kilmarnock

Hope it helps.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
have you thought about driving buses? All over the country there is a shortage of bus drivers,some companies will put you through your test and guarantee you a job.The drawback to this is you may have to repay the training costs on a weekly basis or in full if you don't take the job.I know first do this and so do veolia,Give them a try.

LRT have adds fro drivers on the back of their buses constantly, i think the average wage with overtime is 25k.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
you are speaking sense my friend ,i understand . working abroad is an option i have considered ,don,t know how it would work out for me with the family though.

We came for a weekend and have been here for 10 years, family seem to like it quite a lot :)

But in all seriousness it's not so far to travel, what a few ex-pats here do it work 4 days, stay in lodgings and have long weekends back in the UK.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Try the local PO sorting office, very busy up until xmas, my brother just got a job with them, 1 point if you turn up on time for the interview, 1 point if you wear a shirt and tie, and 1 point if you can read out a dozen postcodes without making a mistake, Score 3 points and you have a job.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I second the idea of both having a good idea and applying for everything. I've gotten temporary jobs through just firing off CVs before.
One tip could always be to look around the high street.
Christmas time is easy to get a job as a barman as it is the busiest time of year and anyone with a bit of life experience and a sensible outlook is going to be one up on an 18 year old who's only in it for a laugh.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Crosshouse hospital are looking for volunteer drivers to drive patients to appointments in their own cars, they pay good expenses and there is plenty of work so in theory you could be busy 5 in 7 and although it's not a wage as such it does bring in a bit, I know a few retired do this to supplement the income. Again I doubt this will be any help right now but I will be looking for drivers in early in the new year. I'll keep you in mind Gill when we go to advertise.
You should definately go to Morch's for the November weekend it's great for a chillout and damn good company with plenty of good food and banter, I'm hoping to make it back down for this one so if you need a lift or short on kit let us know and we'll get you fixed up. Wish you luck with the job hunt!

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
I second the idea of both having a good idea and applying for everything. I've gotten temporary jobs through just firing off CVs before.

I done that, now i am the area manager for scotland and northern england. Now getting sent to Poland to be part of a team for the UN conference being held at Poznan in Poland

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
thanks everybody for the ideas and trying to keep me positive ,i am feeling a lot better today and feel confident ,i will find something soon.hopefully the weather will be a bit drier this week ,maybe get my hammock set up for a night or two.try out my new quilt and underblanket set.i,m sure i will be working somewhere before santa comes.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Am a self employed carpenter myself and as I usually work subcontracting on the sites I have been his by the downturn in building this year also.
So far I have been kept ticking over with work, and theres a local bloke who I do a few days a week for usually and another company that I have got some more from.
Its nothing like as busy as it was a year ago though.

As already mentioned, contact every agency that does building work, the pay isn't usually upto much but they get you onto enough sites that your face is known all over the place, thats often a way into companies that may be looking for permanant workers.

They have a lot of driving jobs which is something you can do for a short while till something better comes up.

Good luck.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
When I was last "on my bottom " I made money by hooking the trailer up to the car and doing a flyer drop round the local area for rubbish removal. Decided on a price for a trailer load (I think I charged a tenner a load back then) and I was doing 5 to 15 loads a day cash in hand. Couple of times I had to change the rubbish tip I went to cause they got shirty but it wasn't often.
Might be worth a try

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
If your any good at it...I once made some money selling..erm...hand drawn , kinky pictures on some auction sites that allow for that sort of thing. It was all in the name of art I swear!! Other money making ventures Ive undertood is hiring a market stall, order picking (LOADS of that about right now) and buying junk to sell off ebay. I know a guy who makes a living selling golf clubs on ebay , he is able to turn a profit because golfing is his passion and whatever you are passionate about you also tend to be good at spotting a bargain with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE