Nik Nak Paduak, made myself a spoon...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Inspired by a much better example (see here) I attempted to make myself a simple smooth eating spoon.

I found myself with a bit of paduak wood, perhaps a bit thin for the purpose, but I liked the colour.

After much effort, and a great deal of sanding, this is the result.

8650073162_bc7f249a23_b.jpg

Not as good as Dean's racing spoon, but I like it enough to share. The spoon is 13.5cm, or 5.5 inches long, depending on your choice of ruler. Either way, it is nice and compact,

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a very fine spoon, and the right shape not to break in a tight pack, as so many of mine have!............lovely colour, too.................atb mac

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi mike i agree it looks like a butter spreader at that angle nice work though regards dave

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aside from a coat of walnut oil, yes.

The picture makes it look flatter than it is. I went for a similar shape to Dean's spoon, only mine is narrower.

My best mate Paul makes a lot of things out of Padauk and ran some colour experiments on it. Natural light will eventually darken it to a deep brown, so if you want that colour to last, keep it in the dark and only dig it out when you want to show people ... as it soooo deserves. Nice carving mate. Well done.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Had to google paduak. Beautiful colour! And besides that: you made me rethink about what a spoon really is. I should experiment with shapes more. thanks.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Isn't padauk toxic? I know that you need good dust protection when working it. It's probably toxic in the way yew is though. Should be fine for utensils.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE