New law on knives for under 18?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I don't think a ban on knives will ever be implemented, as we all need kitchen knives. I think that a age on knives raised to 18 would be a good idea, but wouldn't make it much harder for youths to get them, just gives police a reason to confiscate them once found on a youth, and quite rightly so.

However, that means that some of the younger people with good intentions would be effected. I think the best thing to do would be to leave it to police discretion. The last thing a police officer wants is abuse, if your not abusive or threatening, and if you appear like someone who wouldn't intend harm, then you may be let off.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The change in the law is ok with me. there is no justification for carrying a blade to school. However i would be saddened if young people were stopped and searched routinely. Not all youngsters are criminals and we need them to keep faith with the law.

As usual the dim witted cannon fodder ruin it for all.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
This is a trend to label all knives as weapons and those that carry them as as criminals. Its not the fact that you have to be 18 to carry them, its the implications of the restriction that should raise concern in all of us who carry knives without any intention of using it for criminal purposes. The "thinking" behind this sort of law is that people who carry knives will use them for criminal purposes e.g. to maim and kill, take away the knives and they will not have other means of doing so. This ignores all the other things that can easily be used as weapons, screw drivers, iron bars, rocks, rope the list goes on. It also implies that there are a lot of people out there who will maim and kill if they get a knife in their hands but are otherwise normal. This proposed legislation is another nail in the coffin of our centuries long freedom to be presumed as responsible citizens and not weak minded morons who will be influenced by an inanimate object into commiting criminal acts.

I had my first knife when I was 9 and have not commited any criminal acts with them. I intend to give my children knives when I think they have shown enough sense and responsibility to have them. It will way before they're 18.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Yes, well said. If they were to restrict knife sales, rather than restricting all knives to an age limit, which is useless (I have a friend who can whip up a false driving licence in minutes for you, enabling anyone to look a certain age) they might just restrict the types. I mean, very few people need a bowie knife. Which isn't to say nobody does - so, like a .30 calibre rifle, perhaps the police could ask you about what you're using it for etc, and stop you if you have a bad criminal record. I'm against banning, but if something were to happen, then that might be the best way.
And nobody needs a knife like some of the ones on this page: http://www.battleorders.co.uk/acatalog/MASTERCUTLERY_KNIVES.html

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am in full agreement with Shing.

:rant: following..... :roll:
My parents gave me my first pocket knife when I was about 8 or 9. I saved up and bough my first knife when I was 10, it was a SAK which I still carry today, 18 years later!

Right through school I carried two knives every day, my trusty SAK and a little lock knife. At the time the law had not specifically prohibited this. On a day to day basis I would have had a hard time coming up with a "Good" reason for carrying either. They were simply useful for all sorts of things, generally things I wouldn't have thought of before hand.

It never even entered my mind to use them as weapons.

I am deeply concerned over the way things are going now. There is a vicious cycle going on between the media and today's youth. Kids now automatically see knives as weapons first, often they don't think that they could be used as tools at all. This is how they see them portrayed in the media.

Weapons have always been more glamerous than purely utilitarian tools. Boys are nearly always more interested in fighter planes than transports, tanks than trucks. Weapons are a way of getting power and gaining control. Tools are just boring. The news says knives are weapons, politicians and teachers are visibly worried by them, so of course that is how they will get used.

Once you had to actually have COMMITTED a criminal act to be a criminal. Now you merely have to posess something which someone else consideres COULD be used by someone who MIGHT harbour criminal intentions.

When will it become a crime to think impure thoughts?

:rant: over :rolmao:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Arctic Hobo,
Compromise restrictions don't tend to work for anyone. One group loses freedom, and no real impact is made on crime.

I read an article about knife use in prisons, the range of things that get turned into shanks and shivs was staggering. It convinced me it was utterly pointless to try to reduce crime by banning, or restricting, things that look "scary". As long as people use knives in the kitchen there will be an excellent range of "weapons" available for those so inclined.

There are plenty of people out there who cannot understand what bushcraft is about, cannot see there is a shred of reason for it. They find out you own a knife and immediately think you are strange and possibly dangerous. Explaining it is for bushcraft (if they have heard the word) only confirms to them that you ARE strange and are living out on the fringe of sanity.

Don't stand divided just because you can see no reason for bowies, or daggers, or art knives, there aren't enough differences in the eyes of most people to separate them from puukos, gransfors and goloks.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
C_Claycomb said:
Once you had to actually have COMMITTED a criminal act to be a criminal. Now you merely have to posess something which someone else consideres COULD be used by someone who MIGHT harbour criminal intentions.
That unfortunatly seems to be the way things are going.

Its for this reason I have given up on carrying stuff in my cars `survival bag` for want of a better name, as some of it could be classed as dodgey e.g meths, SAK, even a survival tin with potassium permanganate in.

I can only imagine what the nice policeman would think doing a quick search... and to be honest Id rather not spend my day at the local copshop.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
C_Claycomb said:
There are plenty of people out there who cannot understand what bushcraft is about, cannot see there is a shred of reason for it. They find out you own a knife and immediately think you are strange and possibly dangerous. Explaining it is for bushcraft (if they have heard the word) only confirms to them that you ARE strange and are living out on the fringe of sanity.
EXACTLY what happened when I said and showed my lady friend a gleaming new GrannyB - should of seen the look on her face :shock: It was if I was from another planet :roll:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i agree the new law seems ok,

chances are it won't really stop kids buying knifes (same way under age drinking and smoking continues)but it may make the salepeople more aware of the sort of person they shoulden't sell to.

i'm all for sensible use of knifes by sensible people but you have to draw a line.

i once was in my local surplus shop and overheard a young man interested in a knife saying:
"oh its not for cutting stuff, its just cos theres a bloke i know i just want to "sting" him" if he comes after me.
quite rightly the shop didn't sell him anything! :shock:

it's one of those endless debates should we allow knives or not, well i feel safe in the knowledge that not many people carry knives on the street, i need to carry a small knife to open boxes at work and i know other people do to such a fishermen and diy types, laws like this are passed to "reduce" knife related violence i hope they bring one out on replica and blank firing guns!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Rob said:
Like you never see someone under the age of 18 with a beer in their hand, or someone under 16 smoking.

Are we likely to see kids round the corner from outdoor stores saying "Psst, mate...if I give you the money, can you go in and get us a Woodlore knife with mylar handle?"

Sorry - didn't mean to trivialise a serious point. If someone wants to carry a knife, they'll nick it from the kitchen.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
totally agree, but it's the world we live in, in the us guns are legal so people carry them and occasionally use them, to protect themselves, but equally any pe4rson with evil intent can legally carry one,

i'm not saying we shoulden't have knives i'm just saying the older you are the more responsible you are, i remember when i was 13 i found a discarded butcher knife which i subsequently used for bushcrafty stuff, i felt fine about carrying it about. question is:

would you be happy with a 13 year old boy carrying around a butcher knife in your local woods? because that's what i did and at the time thought it was ok, also i remeber when i was 15 buying a "survival knife" (underage) i had a friend that bought a Kbar replica, which i'm sure was never intended for cutting wood, and another friend at school bought a machette to school, this is all under the age of 16!

as a parent i would be very concerned if i knew kids had knives at my kids school, not only because they can be missued fallen on, fought with but i believe kids should be around a resposible adult if they are going to be using potentially dangerous tools, same as they are in a craft lesson.

the thought that a kid under the influence of drugs anger, alchohol ect could kill my son or daughter or any other which is aparently on the rise is enough reason for me to restrict the availability.

in my mind it has nothing to do with "bushcraft", as bushcraft is on the whole set in woodland or wilderness areas, or certainly out of the public eye, where you would be frowned apon for not having a knife.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
totally agree, but it's the world we live in, in the us guns are legal so people carry them and occasionally use them, to protect themselves, but equally any pe4rson with evil intent can legally carry one,

i'm not saying we shoulden't have knives i'm just saying the older you are the more responsible you are, i remember when i was 13 i found a discarded butcher knife which i subsequently used for bushcrafty stuff, i felt fine about carrying it about. question is:

would you be happy with a 13 year old boy carrying around a butcher knife in your local woods? because that's what i did and at the time thought it was ok, also i remeber when i was 15 buying a "survival knife" (underage) i had a friend that bought a Kbar replica, which i'm sure was never intended for cutting wood, and another friend at school bought a machette to school, this is all under the age of 16!

as a parent i would be very concerned if i knew kids had knives at my kids school, not only because they can be missued fallen on, fought with but i believe kids should be around a resposible adult if they are going to be using potentially dangerous tools, same as they are in a craft lesson.

the thought that a kid under the influence of drugs anger, alchohol ect could kill my son or daughter or any other which is aparently on the rise is enough reason for me to restrict the availability.

in my mind it has nothing to do with "bushcraft", as bushcraft is on the whole set in woodland or wilderness areas, or certainly out of the public eye, where you would be frowned apon for not having a knife.
I have to disagree at some points here, sorry.
I have never used knives when drunk. I never carry (even a legal) a knife when going to parties, hall dances, etc.

Me carrying fairly heavy, razor sharp leuku and SAK, shouldn't be a problem. I've learned safe use of cutting tools, almost since I could say the word knife (one of the few bushcrafty type things my dad has taught), therefore my father or mother never watches me when dealing with knives, because they know I can use them responsibly. :wink: :)

Just my thoughts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE