new addition to my woodspirit family

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Very cool, this is one of the things I really want to carve but haven't got around top it yet, it'll come...some day. As always thanks for sharing the pics goodjob

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hoodoo, biker, chas. thanks fellas im still chasing that elusive 'the one' :rolleyes: there are some truly awesome (and i dont use that word lightly) carvers out there im still well in their shadow.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Really good work that mate. Never tire of seeing your woodspirits. :) I'd love to be able to carve like that, suppose i better get practicing. ;)

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Very cool, this is one of the things I really want to carve but haven't got around top it yet, it'll come...some day. As always thanks for sharing the pics goodjob

thanks boss, i know what you mean theres loads i never seem to have the time for. you could always come to a North Wood meet, and i'll give you a bit of tuition... :D

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Really good work that mate. Never tire of seeing your woodspirits. :) I'd love to be able to carve like that, suppose i better get practicing. ;)

thanks hillbill, appreciate that. :) making a start on one, thats the hardest part and just keep whittling away. my first few were pretty awfull but like anything, with practice...

steve

Last edited:

Gailainne

Life Member
I've enjoyed your tutorial, and really enjoyed your work, but man, this guy is amazing, the detail on his face, I really like the use of depth and shadow to enhance his features. Not sure about the candle idea, but perhaps a casting in bronze, with a candle holder built in?, perhaps one either side.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Best looking woodspirit I have seen yet, marvelous piece.
How did you accomplish the shades, burning or dying?
Lovely stuff and would love to see a nice gnarly woodspirit bow some time ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
That is absolutely gorgeous!!! Might have to have a go at one some day, mine will likely look like a bear scratching though!!

Biker

hoodoo, biker, chas. thanks fellas im still chasing that elusive 'the one' :rolleyes: there are some truly awesome (and i dont use that word lightly) carvers out there im still well in their shadow.

Name them and let us judge for ourselves... but I'm betting you'd rank higher than you think. So know what you mean about being in others shadow though. I'm going to have a crack at doing just such a carving myself once I get back home to France. Had some interesting ideas whilst driving 250 miles yesterday and pondering what carvings I could have a go at. Stay tooned for the results one day.

Anyway getting back to my original reply, name these pretenders to the top woodspirit carver's crown and we'll judge, because in my book ... :You_Rock_

The mad welshman

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2012
Louth. Lincs
You could make a mould out of latex you just paint it on and leave it to dry ..but you have to build up quite a few layers to get the strenth in the mould.you can use a hairdryer to speed up the drying process but be carefull as you can create bubbles in the latex
you should be able to find a link online or try ebay or a good arts and crafts supplys
Latex is the same as Copydex glue an it has the same we we smell
On the other hand ..if your looking for a foster parent.......

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
many thanks guys, im overwhelmed at the response you have shown, :) in answer to some of the questions;

Best looking woodspirit I have seen yet, marvelous piece.
How did you accomplish the shades, burning or dying?
Lovely stuff and would love to see a nice gnarly woodspirit bow some time ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

thanks mate, dig deep enough and the shades creat themselves really, give the highlights a light rub with fine sandpaper to lift it, followed by a coat of light oak mix in a couple of drops of dark oak for the eyes to darken the sockets. depends on the wood really, some dry and are very light others retain the full stain.

Name them and let us judge for ourselves... but I'm betting you'd rank higher than you think. So know what you mean about being in others shadow though. I'm going to have a crack at doing just such a carving myself once I get back home to France. Had some interesting ideas whilst driving 250 miles yesterday and pondering what carvings I could have a go at. Stay tooned for the results one day.

Anyway getting back to my original reply, name these pretenders to the top woodspirit carver's crown and we'll judge, because in my book ... :You_Rock_

sheesh Aaron! but thanks for your support :) well just google for pics, there some amazing work out there. but i do have my favourites, take a look at jeff phares or tom wolfe. they give me loads of inspiration and a goal to aim for. re your carving, if your wood nymph is anything to go by, i'd better sharpen my gear up!

You could make a mould out of latex you just paint it on and leave it to dry ..but you have to build up quite a few layers to get the strenth in the mould.you can use a hairdryer to speed up the drying process but be carefull as you can create bubbles in the latex
you should be able to find a link online or try ebay or a good arts and crafts supplys
Latex is the same as Copydex glue an it has the same we we smell
On the other hand ..if your looking for a foster parent.......

that sounds like a wonderfull way to copy my stuff, definately look into that method, cheers for that. :D

Last edited:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
just for Harvestman, i've re-worked his 'borg' eyes :D

woodspiritcarving002.jpg

Biker

sheesh Aaron! but thanks for your support :) well just google for pics, there some amazing work out there. but i do have my favourites, take a look at jeff phares or tom wolfe. they give me loads of inspiration and a goal to aim for. re your carving, if your wood nymph is anything to go by, i'd better sharpen my gear up!

Yeah I see what you mean about those carvers you mentioned above. Jeff Phares has some scarily impressive talent there and I would guess Tom Wolfe uses a mirror for inspiration for his wizard carvings :D Thanks for the names for me to have a gander at., still think you could proudly alongside them though, maybe not in the league of Mr Phare but I suspect he had a learning curve just the same as anyone else. Your really stuff's good now, which makes me wonder what you'll be doing in just a few years.

My own wood nymph wasn't that big a deal really there are faults in it that I can see and will want to avoid withthe next one but whatever i do I'll take time over this and try not to stress too much about messing it up. The one I showed was carved into my curly walking staff and I really was worrying about ruining it.

May your chisels always be sharp and the wood under the blade knot free.

Aaron

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE