Nettles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Are there 'stinging hairs' on Nettle stalks? - This is in relation to harvesting nettles to make string.....I'm sure i've tried this in the past and got stung and now i'm older and wis, well older:eek: I want to be prepared.

I remeber watching Ray on a Tracks i think it was, saying you need to be bold and strip 'up' the stem (then promptly went down! :lmao: )

So any tips - other than a crate of anthisan! ;)

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Yes, the stems are covered in fairly corse hairs.
You will need gloves, thick ones at that, I've been stung through canvas ones :eek: .

If you figure out which way the hairs are pointing then grab them roughly and pull in that direction should mean you don't get stung but you always get a few rogue hairs that don't know the rules.

Once you've picked the stems, rolling them will break the hairs and mean they can't sting any more :) .

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Hmmmm - as I thought it dosn't bode well!

perhaps if i pick them with a dock leaf....... :rolleyes:

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Not getting stung is all about technique IMO i pick the Nettle buy grasping the base. I then hold the nettle upside down by the base with on hand and and with the other grasp the stem firmly and slide my hand down the nettle collecting all the leaves on the way. this takes a little practice but is a easy quick way to strip leaves from a large amount of stalks

FYI the getting stung bit is a double edged sword some people develop a immunity to the stings and some develop an increasing reaction that can end up in anaphylactic shock, just be careful and stop and use gloves or the sleeve of your jumper if the reactions get worse.

James

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
theres a little phrase going around bushcraft instructors at the moment!

nettles are used quite alot and though gloves can be used we don't.

the thick pads of your fingers and palm rarely get stung but when they do about 24 hours later the pain has gone but a not unplesent tingle remains that sensation has been coined a "tingasm"! :lmao:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
When I stripped the leaves off some nettles at the allotment in preparation for cordage, I used a bunch of thick grass to wrap round the stem, it kept most of the leaves awayand helped abrade the stem hairs off.
Still got stung when I leant back on the pile of stripped leaves though...

Eelco

Nov 7, 2005
The Netherlands
Ehm, as far as I know the stems don't sting. I used to fool other boyscouts into thinking I was immune for nettles by just picking them up by them stem. It's the leaves and leave-stems (if that's even a word) that sting and I believe only the underside, but i'm not quite sure about that.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Yes, the stems have hairs which CAN sting you. I wore gloves to strip the stalks whilst making nettle cordage over the weekend, took them off and got stung on the tip of my thumb whilst doing some tidying up - whilst MOST hairs point up the stem, there are still some that point down.

I'm very sensitive to them but find they're not that strong at this time of year, particularly compared to Spring.

Next time I'm going to brave it and see how I get on.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i always thought it was the stem that stings you, anyway it cant be the leaves as i can just pull of the leaves and it doesnt hurt one bit
leon

M

Michael Mac

I've always found that pinching the leaves from the underside is the best way of pulling the leaves off, its the upperside of the leaves that have the stinging 'hairs' on :cool:

kaoss

May 8, 2006
Manchester
If you do get stung I always find malt vinegar help neutralise or dilute the formic acid, same for ant bites or jelly fish stings

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
The stinging hairs are on all parts of the plant as far as I am aware, they tend to be bigger on the stem. They are similar to a glass tube filled with an acid, the hair scratches and releases the acid which causes the irritation. If gripped firmly they dont sting, the hair breaks at the base. I have found I have no problem when gripping the nettle firmly, except if I grip the stem a leaf will brush the back of your hand or wrist and if you grip a leaf the stem will do the same! :(
I beleive, but don't hold me responsible for any action you take, that the skin in the mouth is tough enough not to get stung by nettles when eating them, there is a nettle eating competion held at some pub annually. :werd:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
*Any* of the nettle hairs can sting you. With practice and care the stalks can be pulled and stripped without getting stung, usually the skin of the thumb and forefinger is tough enough (well on those who use their hands a lot) to let you work the stems and not get stung.
I use a *lot* of nettles, especially when working with kids. I use leather gloves for ease and speed.
The neatest way to remove the leaves is actually to brush down the stem against the leaves and then go up the stem removing them as you go. Two swipes and it's done and it doesn't drag the fibre bearing skin off when you do so. Lets you pull of long lengths, time after time.
To kill the stings, wilt them, crush them or overheat them (hot water).

Cheers,
Toddy

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
Similar to JohnC I use leaves or leaf litter to strip off the leaves, I have also found that if I have rubbed earth or med on my hands before hand it lessens the stinging. I always get one or two stings. I hasten to add that this is only when collecting nettles for cordage, when collecting for food or tea I use gloves to pinch out the young leaves

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
the thick pads of your fingers and palm rarely get stung but when they do about 24 hours later the pain has gone but a not unplesent tingle remains that sensation has been coined a "tingasm"! :lmao:

That has been my experience. They don't seem to penetrate my fingertips. If I am pinching off leaves or the tender top I usually don't get stung unless I accidentally drag them across my leg or something.

Also don't know if it's the difference between the UK and the US strain of them or what, but for me the sting doesn't really last long. An hour later and it's gone.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes stings dont last long
do doc leaves actually work or is it just a myth
leon

daveymonkey

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2005
it seems that the actual cure for the sting in the nettle leaf, if you crush it until the sap come out and rub that on the sting it takes the itch away.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I'm constantly getting stung by the wretched things.

I've found that some nettles do sting worse than others but I'm not sure why. Some stings clear up quickly whereas others can last for the entire day.

Picking them can be a real problem unless you are covered from head to toe with thick clothing. I've regularly been stung through light clothing.

Holding the stem with a calloused finger and thumb does prevent you from getting stung but then the wretched thing will move unpredictably or move another nettle and you'll get stung on the head or the arm.

I get stung so often that I've pretty much stopped caring about it, kind of got used to it I guess. :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE