Nettles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
leon-b said:
yes stings dont last long
do doc leaves actually work or is it just a myth
leon

It does seem to work to some extent but I don't know if there's any scientific proof that it does. Maybe the rubbing action helps alleviate the pain a bit, kind of like scratching an itch.

"The stinging hairs on nettle are sharp polished spines that contain histamine and formic acid, irritating chemicals that are released when the plant comes in contact with the skin. While the hairs, or spines, of the stinging nettle are normally very painful to the touch, when they come into contact with an area of the body that is already in pain, the chemicals can actually decrease the original pain. This is why stinging nettle is called a counterirritant. Applying juice from the stinging nettle to the skin can actually relieve painful nettle stings or insect bites."
- University of Maryland

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have heard stories about roman soldiers nettling their legs to warm them up when they where over here!
Probably have been more effective to use them to make decent clothes with though!

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
leon-b said:
yes stings dont last long
do doc leaves actually work or is it just a myth
leon

I've found dock leaves do sooth the sting somewhat.

You have to get the leave and rub it vigourously in your palms until you get the liquid out, then rub that on the sting.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Those of us who push pens find gloves are obligitory for nettles and brambles.
I am always surprised at meetups how few people carry them,and how often mine are borrowed! They are pretty useful around the fire as well.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
good leather palm work gloves can save you much pain in many forms in the bush, why get used to it when the protection is available and only cost a couple bucks.

dean

BTW margarine will take the sting out of nettle stings, the oil nutrelizes the acid and the semi solid form makes it easy to apply where you need it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE