N.E Scotland 2nd meetup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PRDL

Nov 10, 2010
blairgowrie
hi all. i am peter lockerbie, i am chaz's bro. so hi to you all i am looking forward to meeting every one that can go to the meet, i am planing to test chaz's parachute by tying it to him and throwing him off a cliff so will need help because he is to fat, any one what to help ? , hahaha and yes i am mad hahahaha hohoho hehehe

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
ROFL : Hi peter,

Welcome to BCUK dont worry about being mad you will fit right in here:):) and as for Chaz you wont need to fling him off a cliff, Ill have some of the better halfs flapjack thingies that he really liked, just make sure you drop it at the right point ;) and we will see how good it is ( Only kidding chaz mate lol)

Craig

Hey Folks,

A few of us went out to the site yesterday and had a look around, and it is a pretty good site. Hopefully Craig will put up a list of activities that are planned for the meet, main one being shelter building.

We will also have a nice parachute to sit under, thanks to charleslockerbie.

Parking is Pay and Display and will be in operation when we are there, however if you are a NTS member it will be free.

Charges
http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/countryparks/locations/haddo.asp#carparking
Cars 1 Hour 20p 1-4 Hours 50p 4-8 Hours £1

Below is an edited map of the area showing where the camp is. There is an alternative site for tents if people prefer a proper camp site. At this site there is toilet blocks, kitchen area and non-lumpy ground.

As for directions to the site, do not follow the directions google maps give you as this will take you along next to the Fishery and is a track more suitable for 4x4s or those that wish to have a challenge. :) We can put up directions later.

Details of which can be found here: http://www.gordondistrictscouts.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=27

Click on this map to enlarge.

haddo_sitemap_edit by pandabean2010, on Flickr

Last edited:

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Thank you Panda mate that is really helpfull,

The parking will be free on the Sunday as its the easter weekend.

I have a couple of calls to make tommorow then I will update the thread with what we out lined, details of the campsite ( for those who dont want to stay in the woods) and sort the list out etc.

Thanks

Craig

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hi v-ness,
yep there is space for tents in the woods ( camp area) aswell ,

The actuall dedicated camp area I still have to look into (As I only found out about it yesterday) and is only there as a possible option for those who would prefer.

if we can use it, it would be entirley your choice if you want to pitch there or int the camp area.

hope this helps

Craig

Last edited:

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Thats great, thanks Craig :)
I prefer to have the tent near to where we are for most of the time, just so the kids have a place to crash out when they're tired and it's still close enough for us to both keep and eye on them and get the chance to take part in whats going on.

Cheers

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Hi Craig.

Thanks for the updates... Was just wondering if we are able to take our cars to the camp site to load / unload and then leave them in the carpark?

Cheers, Stuart

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
ness: No probs I totally understand.

Stuart: That should be no problem, either that or we can put everyones kit into the back of 1 car/van and take it down while the rest of us just walk down. David will be there ( Hes allowed to drive about the estate in his van) so should be ok.

If anybody has any questions let me know so I can sort it out straight away

thanks folks

Craig

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
A few of us went out to the site yesterday and had a look around, and it is a pretty good site.

I circled it in the afternoon without seeing anyone: either I was too late, or your camo blends in well. Tracking was confused by Scouts around a fire lit in the pit near the Pheasantry.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Ah sorry Chance mate,

I did keep my eyes and ears open for you, we did go up to the lake and into the other woods for a look, around late morning and we were also under chaz's parachute for a bit.

again sorry bout that

That also reminds me to say to everyone: you cant get a phone signal at all, so bear that in mind

Craig

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Ok folks update time, sorry I have been a while couldnt get on yesterday and had a lot of phoning to do today to get everything sorted.

Please take particular note of these points.

As well as the woods I have managed to book us the scout campsite aswell for those who would prefer grass and flat ground. It is however a minute or two walk from the woods camp. If anybody wishes to use this site instead can you let me know asap.

The toilets will be open all weekend which is handy as you can wash etc in the sinks. I will however say to bring your own water as I havent been guaranteed that it is safe drinking water.

I tried my best to budge them on the parking but I am afraid we will have to pay. Andy mentioned the prices but I have been informed that they will be doubling the charges and it may be in effect when we get there.

The planned lessons so far include:

- Shelter building (lean to/ A frame type)
- Stargazing & Related stories
- Trap Demo - fig-4, snare and netting
- Show of leatherworking/ tools
- Skinning Bunnies (On the Friday) If you would rather not take part in this, again could you please let me know
- Knots
- knife sharpening

We dont need to be rigid with the lessons, some we may not get around to etc but as last time other lessons may spring up. But we will try to fit in as much as we can. ( Anybody who wants to contribute a lesson is more than welcome). We are there to have fun aswell

Also I have been asked about bringing kit to trade, I have no problem with this but it will be up to yourselfs to sort out the trades ( Mabey during the evening).

Tommorow Ill put up the list with the disclaimers etc and you can add your names.

Andy + Chaz if I have forgoten anything could you please add it thanks.

Speak to you all soon

Craig

Last edited:

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Ok folks time to put on a serious/grumpy hat on (has to be done)

under are some rules (Pinched from drew as they are a good guide wtih my own bits added) that I would ask you all to follow.

This list isn't exhaustive - common sense applies. If in doubt, Ask!

•Forum members are responsible for themselves, the kit they use and their own actions at a Meet – if you bring along family (or a friend) then you also accept responsibility for them and their actions whilst they are on site.

•Forum members under the age of 18 are welcome. However, they must be accompanied by at least one parent (or legal guardian).

•Rubbish: you brought it in, you put it in the bag – I will bring some bags along and if we can leave the site better than when we got there it will leave a good impresion and we will more likely to be asked back.

•Responsible drinking of alcohol is ok – drugs are prohibited!

•‘Appropriate’ behaviour: The site can, at any time, decline a booking – they can also ask(tell) us (individually or wholly) to leave during the Meet.

•Fires: are NOT to be left unattended, If you take a turn in watching the group fire or make your own and have to leave it please ask sombody to watch it for you (we are in the woods after all)
•Nobody is to go cutting down any live tree ( David is the ranger for the park so please ask him if you are unsure)

•Food: you need to bring enough food and water to feed yourself while you are at the Meet.

•Accidents do happen and people will try to help out where they can - If you are visiting someone else’s pitch do not expect to be fed.

•Use the appropriate tools at the appropriate times.

•It would be wise to be carrying a torch before it gets dark! It could also be provident to put markers on your shelter so you can find it in the dark.

•The pitch is suitable for using tents, hammocks and bivvies - use what you have and are comfortable using. There is still ample room to bring/use one type and trial/experiment with another.

•If you stick your name down and can no longer make it, please say so.

•Please note that, on occassion, the first post will be edited to include better information. Although updates/edits will be posted in the thread, the first post needs to be re-read well in advance of the Meet

•In the highly unlikely event that I need to make use of this ... I reserve the right to stop any individual(s) from attending a Meet. Any individual(s) who I feel endanger our future use of the site will be required to leave the site.

• Please do not leave knives, axes unsheathed/ lying around.

The 'Touchy Subject' bit:
The only people we can't accommodate are those who would, purposely or otherwise, do harm to others. Primarily, this means that if you would be found unfit to adopt or foster a child then you can’t come along – same goes for anyone knowingly under investigation or having had an allegation made against them and is awaiting investigation.

It's fine if you want to:
•be on your own
•lay on your back looking at the sky, clouds, birds flying over etc
•whittle
•practice 'stuff' - except tree felling; the site has strong opinions about that
•practice flora and fauna i.d
•so on and so forth ...

This is, in no way, a bushcraft course and it's for you to make of it what you will.

(Thanks for the guide Drew)

So its really basic common sense. If you cant/wont stick to these rules then please do not come.Also anybody breaking these rules will be asked to leave

Glad thats over with,

if you can add your name to the list and what day you will be arriving and leaving on.If you are unsure of when you can make it confirm asap.
I need to have the list a week before the event

many thanks

Craig

Ok here we go ( all excited now)

CBJ : Fri-Sun
CBJ's sis: Fri- Sun
CBJ' Bro: Fri-?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE