My knife's the best

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
A £5 Mora is as good a knife as a £300 woodlore knife.

Some folks like expensive.

If you look at some of the great craftsman there tools generally are not what you'd consider stunning.

Doesn't matter what knife you use it's your ability to use it well that people respect.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
A £5 Mora is as good a knife as a £300 woodlore knife.

Some folks like expensive.

If you look at some of the great craftsman there tools generally are not what you'd consider stunning.

Doesn't matter what knife you use it's your ability to use it well that people respect.

Very true . . . but I think your ability to use it is affected by how well the knife suits you.

And like Samon said this might mean owning quite a few before you get the right knife for you (or your favorite knife)

Mora's are very good knifes for the money . . . too good not to be bought, if only for a spare, but easily good enough for a main user.

People do like to treat themselves tho . . . . . and there are some absolutely beautiful knifes being put up for sale by the makers on here, testing your self control to the limit. . . lol.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Anyone else have problems working with a 4mm blade?
No, they are an over build feature so I wouldn't want one. A bushcraft knife should be an all round usage knife, that includes cooking for most folk and if your knife is great on wood but chucks carrot slices all around the woodland, it doesn't really qualify as an all rounder. Not least because its at least 25% thicker and heavier than it needs to be. At 3mm I'd still want it to be fully flat ground or FYGTs 'Flandi' grind. The 2mm thickness of a Mora is generally thick enough to do all the bushcrafting you can do with a knife, including cooking successfully.

.................incoming...

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
i agree that 4mm is too thick, but not much too thick. for me i like the ridgedity of a thick blade with no flex in use, gives more control i have found and is also more confortable to use. my ideal thickness is a little over 3mm and a little under 4mm with a decent grind.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
i agree that 4mm is too thick, but not much too thick. for me i like the ridgedity of a thick blade with no flex in use, gives more control i have found and is also more confortable to use. my ideal thickness is a little over 3mm and a little under 4mm with a decent grind.

I love my Cold Steel Bushman. It has just enough flex.

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
Have to ask, how do you find the Bushman? Looks like a lot of knife for the money... I admit to being attracted by the toughness/construction (and conversely, put off by non full-tang construction on cheaper knives)

Much bigger than I need, but how well does it do in general bushcrafty things? (mildly comic though that question is when concerning something as mean looking as that!)

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Have to ask, how do you find the Bushman? Looks like a lot of knife for the money... I admit to being attracted by the toughness/construction (and conversely, put off by non full-tang construction on cheaper knives)

Much bigger than I need, but how well does it do in general bushcrafty things? (mildly comic though that question is when concerning something as mean looking as that!)

It's a great knife for batoning, and light machete tasks. Too big for delicate work, but so much lighter than carrying my GB axe. The sheath's ****e, though, so I got a kit-sheath. Here it is next to a Clipper, Buck Lite and GB for scale:

tumblr_lujllpEkcI1qzb16w

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE