My knife's the best

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
...because it's the one I have in my hand.

But seriously, after years of knife-lust, I'm starting to realise that I don't need much. An SAK or Opinel in the pocket, and a little Buck or Clipper in the sheath do fine. If I'm doing a 'big camp' I'll take the Cold Steel Bushman or a little Gransfors axe.

No need for the latest and greatest Damascus or Swede... Unless I win the lottery. In which case, I'll take a Hattori Year Knife or a Hiro Norbushi. But that'd be just for vanity. The same wood and cord would get cut, and the same critters would get gutted.

Can anyone convince me otherwise?

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I agree with most of that, for me its the same thing with motor cycle leathers.
I have a zip together two piece jacket and trousers that are convenient to wear and have built in body armour.
As I can take the jacket off when I'm walking about I wear it more than I would if I had a leather babygrow/race suit and the quite good leathers I'm wearing offer far more crash protection than the great ones hanging up in the wardrobe.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Aah... Motorcycle kit... I keep going back to Draggin' Jeans, Red Wing 2291s and my trusty old Schott Perfecto. Dainese 2-piece if I'm going on the motorway, but why would I do that on a Bonnie?

Whatchoo ride, demographic?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
same here

I've sold or traded most of my knives.

Still have several but realizing I don't need that many.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've been surprised how I've coped since I went legal and only carry a small SAK. Jedz is right, its no use if the right knife is back at home when you aren't. I learned in the US and Norway that when you have to burn wood, there is plenty on the ground or breakable off. However, I guess I'm not a full-on Bushcrafter like many on the site. I go for a minimum impact style aiming to leave no trace.

Ray Mears and Bear Gryls meet on location in Australia and decide to go for a swim.
"What would you do if we were attacked by a shark?" asks Bear, " I've left my knife on the beach.
"No worries," says Ray, " I have my little SAK on my survival necklace."
" That little knife couldn't kill a shark!" retorts Bear.
"Wouldn't try," replies Ray. "I'd slash you with it and swim like hell for the shore!"

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I think that knife accumulation is a result of trying out various types until you hit one that does what you want. I started out with an Enzo trapper, but stopped at a Mora 511. With folders I started with a Svord peasant but ended with an Ablett, and I doubt I'll buy any more folders now.

Unfortunately, you can't really try before you buy!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suppose it comes down to how you define "need." I don't "need" anything other than the knives in my kitchen because in reality I don't "need" to go out into the woods at all.

BUT!!! It's FUN to go out and hunt, fish, camp, canoe, etc. and in reality I think we all "need" a little fun and recreation in our lives. With that in philosophy then you need whatever knife is the most fun for you. It's fun for a while trying out new and different knives (after all that in itself is part of this hobby we share) Then at some point it gets boring and we focus on some other aspect. I find it's actually somewhat cyclic; my interest/focus cycles among the different aspects of the hobby.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
No full dresser Harleys, that's for sure...

An 89 oil cooled GSXR Slingshot (retro endurance race chav cool) and a KX500 supermoto two stroke.
Both currently languishing in the shed cos I'm skint.

Good call on the old GSXR. My Triumph is awaiting repairs since an 'incident'... with what I believe was an unmarked police car clipping me.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
On the other hand jeffz, you ride a big bike when a cheapo honda 90 would still get you to your destination by motorcycle.
If your going to use something regularly, may as well use one you enjoy using for it own sake.

not sent on a mobile phone with tapatalk.

udamiano

On a new journey
The best knife is not made by this or that smith, and doesn't even have to be made of metal, The best knife is the one that will perform the task for which it is required with precision and efficiency. What makes a really good knife is the person using it!
For example if we look at a certain gentleman from Canada who like to teach knife skills by way of a carving stick. Do you think given a range of suitable knives of widely ranging prices that he would be better or worst at the task...
People do get caught up to much I think in who made a knife than it's actually ability to do what it is required by its owner, and far too many believe that expensive knives make them better users, to which the answer is sorry I'm afraid not. Only practice and patience make you a better user.
You knife if it does what you need it to do with precision and efficiency is then 'Yes the best' for you.

Day

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I was out all weekend and brought my latest knife I made. I carried it round on me for a couple hours then put it back in the bergan when I realised I didn't use it once. Some weekends I'm using them non stop, others they don't get a look in. I think we're all a bit obsessed about having knives and plenty of them. Nothing wrong with that but sometimes they're excess to requirement in my opinion.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would have been in trouble over the weekend if not for my knife - a homemade job made from a cut down Cold Steel SRK in Carbon V with Oak handle and Veg tan (moulded) sheath - after all it is more than capable of the cord cutting, Bacon Grill slicing, firewood prepping,and spoon carving that I indulged in ...and it looks good, feels good and as it is home made (ish) It makes me feel good too.....

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I would have been in trouble over the weekend if not for my knife - a homemade job made from a cut down Cold Steel SRK in Carbon V with Oak handle and Veg tan (moulded) sheath - after all it is more than capable of the cord cutting, Bacon Grill slicing, firewood prepping,and spoon carving that I indulged in ...and it looks good, feels good and as it is home made (ish) It makes me feel good too.....

Any pics of that one John?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Go on John, hit the 10K with a photo attachment of your knife.

I have gone full circle. It hurt to sell my Manix 90V but I have my FGYT RWL34 stalker and my Buck 100 - as well as the small bag full of various Moras on the back of the door that get used ALL the time. Amazing how I went full circle and ended up with a Mora again.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Here we are with a couple of P poor photos...
DSCF5737.jpg

DSCF5736.jpg

post number 10 001 I am afraid 10 000 was posting the winner for the comp!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE