My knife's the best

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ive loads of fixed blades, Woodlores, woodie clones and all manner of other high end knives from a number of different makers, the one i use the most and on a daily basis is a Mora 511 with the guard knocked off or a Hultafors HVK,for an EDC folder, i went through Abletts and all manner of other folders, but settled on a SAK Alox Farmer and/or Old Timer 340T, again, used on a daily basis. I still use my high end blades on a regular basis, but my work horse blade is the Mora/Hults.

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have lots of knives because I enjoy knives. It's a primal tool. I like uber steels because they don't go dull in my pocket. I have knives I've carried for months that never touched a sharpener. That appeals to my lazy side. For me, what I look for in a using knife is functionality. If the knife suits my purposes, then that's the knife I'm going to use. It may be an Opinel folder, an Old Timer Stockman, or a high dollar puukko. I own some pretty expensive knives that for one reason or another, are not well suited for my purposes. Same is true for cheapies. One thing is sure though, you don't have to spend a lot of money to get good using cutlery. Plenty of great options out there for everyone.

Put a good knife in my hand, cheap or pricey, and I'm a happy camper. :)

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
On the other hand jeffz, you ride a big bike when a cheapo honda 90 would still get you to your destination by motorcycle.
If your going to use something regularly, may as well use one you enjoy using for it own sake.

not sent on a mobile phone with tapatalk.

Couldn't rock up at the Ace on a C90. That'd be rude.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
I bought this recently to replace my clipper . . . . but it hasn't . . . . now I find myself taking both. (and a SAK)

I find the bushy's 4mm blade makes tasks like food prep awkward.

knife.jpg

No full dresser Harleys, that's for sure...

An 89 oil cooled GSXR Slingshot (retro endurance race chav cool) and a KX500 supermoto two stroke.
Both currently languishing in the shed cos I'm skint.

Good to hear you've got an GSXR demographic . . . here's my 89 oil boiler.

DSCF0800.jpg

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
I bought this recently to replace my clipper . . . . but it hasn't . . . . now I find myself taking both. (and a SAK)

I find the bushy's 4mm blade makes tasks like food prep awkward.

knife.jpg

DSCF0800.jpg

Nice bit of engineering. Who plumbed your NOX?

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
"Nice bit of engineering. Who plumbed your NOX? "

Thanks jeffz . . . .I plumbed in the Nitrous . . . . I built the whole bike from parts from the breakers and mates, some new bits as well.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

DSCF0800.jpg

Good thing about Suzuki's is that they love that same headstock bearing size and from the GS 1000 through GSXRs (If I remember right) they kept it the same.
Looks like yours has later forks on there as GSXRs didn't have upside down forks till the L model which came out in 1990.
Do you do a bit of drag racing also? Looks like there's a lot of room to extend that swingarm.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
Good thing about Suzuki's is that they love that same headstock bearing size and from the GS 1000 through GSXRs (If I remember right) they kept it the same.
Looks like yours has later forks on there as GSXRs didn't have upside down forks till the L model which came out in 1990.
Do you do a bit of drag racing also? Looks like there's a lot of room to extend that swingarm.

Your right matey mines a K model and they went to USD forks the year after on the L, mine are from quite a late water cooled 750 (a bit shorter) got some nice Busa ones to go in over the winter.
No serious drag racing tho, only the odd run what ya brung (mostly wasting boy racers on the street in their pimped up motors . . . lol)
The swingarm is 6" over at the mo, would quite like one a bit longer as it really helps keeping the front wheel on the ground.
Can't go too mad tho as I use it for touring europe too.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Your right matey mines a K model and they went to USD forks the year after on the L, mine are from quite a late water cooled 750 (a bit shorter) got some nice Busa ones to go in over the winter.
No serious drag racing tho, only the odd run what ya brung (mostly wasting boy racers on the street in their pimped up motors . . . lol)
The swingarm is 6" over at the mo, would quite like one a bit longer as it really helps keeping the front wheel on the ground.
Can't go too mad tho as I use it for touring europe too.

I can't quite make it out but the brake discs look like Braking Wave discs with maybe carbon fibre carrier? IIRC they were only made for the W and later models.
What are they like. Hows your pad life?

Sorry, I do realise I've kind of hijacked this thread a bit, ahem. but at least its something important like motorbikes.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
I can't quite make it out but the brake discs look like Braking Wave discs with maybe carbon fibre carrier? IIRC they were only made for the W and later models.
What are they like. Hows your pad life?

They are indeed Braking discs the carrier is grey anodised aluminum, available for all GSXR's, they are really good . . .tho quite expensive @ £175 each , pad life is pretty good really. . . . done quite a good few miles in the UK and 2 trips to the Algarve and 2 to Germany on a set and still OK.

I have got a set of Galfer wave jobbies for the Busa front end . . . never used them so see how it goes.

Sorry, I do realise I've kind of hijacked this thread a bit, ahem. but at least its something important like motorbikes.

Yeah, sorry for digressing from the OP.

Last edited:

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
not at all.
i have troubles with different survival and combat knives with a 4,8mm stock.
they just suck for whittling, they probably perform better with a steeper edge angle.

also tried a little bit of whittling in my living room with a 4mm thick 25degree scandi grind, i thought it performed very well.
haven't used it extensively since it doesn't have a handle.

i've tested a 4,4mm thick convex ground knife, and it performed reasonably well, not as good as scandi ground ones.
but pretty close, i don't use it much because i don't "get" it.

i would guess grind and edge angle are the answer to your problem.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2011
I have 8 knives. An expencive Boker ( German ) bushcraft knife.( have not used it much ) A Opinel 2 3/4" blade I use as a neck knife home made leather sheath ( I never take it off ) A 13" blade British army machete (wood sheath.) A Mora clipper.( I use this the most ) A Sheffield made Bowie 8" blade with a staghorn and stacked leather handle with nicklesilver pommel. ( home made tuck in to belt sheath )( do not take it out with me no Bears in the UK ) A home made battoning knife 5" blade very thick back V shaped blade square ended.A no makers name bushcraft knife a bit on the big side.( not used much ) And my favourite. A Scandinavian knife blank hidden tang ( Puukko ) with a home made brass feral then a strip of bone then stacked leather wax dipped to the pommel made of Raindeer antler. ( home made leather dangle D ring sheath )the handle is shaped like a woodlore but with a Puukko pommel on the end, Thay all have home made sheaths except the clipper as that came with one that is OK.

I use the mora clipper more than all the others for doing rough work and my home made Puukko wood carving fine work ect'

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The thing that bothers me about buying lots of knives is that there's always one knife that gets used more than all the others.. I'm then left with dozens of knives that aren't being used and although I've learned from them I feel as though it's pointless to keep them.

Over the years I've had loads of pistols that quickly get sold on because they aren't being used as much as they could be.

I guess I see tools that aren't being used as a waste of a potential trade or money.

I also don't enjoy sleeping out that much so all I like to carry is my sak or Brit army knife, both edc legal. I have axes and machetes but only really use them in the garden as I do t really need them on a walk in the woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE