My first ever bow!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Looks good for a first try. Without trying to hijack the thread, is the belt home made or can you tell where to find one?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Biker sits polishing his glasses having read the titled of this thread as "My first ever BOWL!" :togo: Almost as bad as reading Saami handcuffs on another thread :lmao:

So there I was expecting to see a nicely carved piece of kitchenware, instead there's some Amazon, Red Sonja lookalike pointing a weapon at me.

Most impressive fair maiden, most impressive indeed. I have a video I bought years ago on how to make a long bow. I never did get around to doing the actual deed, always wanted to but one thing or another stepped in the way and side tracked me.

Hope the finger heals up fine with full motorfunction returned.

Aim high and allow for windage.

goodjob

Biker sits polishing his glasses having read the titled of this thread as "My first ever BOWL!" :togo: Almost as bad as reading Saami handcuffs on another thread :lmao:

So there I was expecting to see a nicely carved piece of kitchenware, instead there's some Amazon, Red Sonja lookalike pointing a weapon at me.

Most impressive fair maiden, most impressive indeed. I have a video I bought years ago on how to make a long bow. I never did get around to doing the actual deed, always wanted to but one thing or another stepped in the way and side tracked me.

Hope the finger heals up fine with full motorfunction returned.

Thanks Biker! With regards to the photo it would look much better if there was actually an arrow in the image haha. And no not Red Sonja! My friend takes the preverbial out of me with that name!!

Aim high and allow for windage.

goodjob

Thanks a lot biker, the image would have been much better had there actually been an arrow in it :S And no not red sonja! Thats my friends name for me when he wants to take the ****. Ggrr

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice tiller and a shooter!

If you dont want me to bore you with bow tweaking stuff then please ignore below.

If you fancy tuning it a bit then i would start by thinning the tips in width not thickness. There is next to no energy stored in the last 8 inches or so of a bow with that kind of tiller so by tapering the last few inches to .5 inch width will reduce mass and increase arrow speed quite noticably. You would be surprised how thin some of the masters can get the tips, 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch on 60+ lb bows!

If the bow limbs are the same length then you may want to turn the bow upside down and have the stronger limb on the bottom which should make it shoot better. Looks like you may be holding the string a little high which could make the tiny tiller difference we see more obvious.

If the limbs are asymetrical then 10 minutes with a heat gun should stiffen up the first 1/3 - 2/3 of the bottom limb if it is a little light.

Ill stop rambling now, once again its s lovely bow!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE