My first ever bow!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
What a lot of hassle this caused me, first it was a meare heath design then due to crasks it was evolved into a holmeguard then after a break (I couldnt believe it) it became what it is now, the design yet to be confirmed. Not to mention being really difficult to work on when my finger suffered an accident which involved it essentially being sliced off!! (there are gorey photos if you want them hehe)
There is actually a tutorial available on my blog.
Its about 35 lbs at 26 inches
(please ignore the serious/ constipated/ hacked off expression...I was posing hehe)
Richards+172+e.jpg

As it is now I rather like it and am somewhat chuffed, i know it is rusty but its mine and its my first one completely from scratch from tree to bow.
I need to give it a new name as the one i had been calling it for months "Basard!" no longer seems appropriate. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: screeching owl

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
great bow looks nice and chunky or is it the way the picture was taken regards dave

Nice piece of work :)

Have you shot it yet?

([Pedantic mode ON] Your right elbow needs to be raised along the line of draw, and the left elbow really needs to be turned outwards if you're not a fan of sudden pain... ;) )

Haha dont worry about me shooting i have been involved in archery before, i was merely posing for the camera and knackered and sore. Of course I should have realised someone on here would pick up on it :p

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
That's an impressive first bow. I always find that summer's rolled round and once again, I haven't collected any staves. One day I'll remember and maybe make one of my own. Congrats on getting it done!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thats a nice looking bow well done! Every bow i make changes design depending on what "features!!" i come across.
LIke you did there you have to listen to the wood. Nice again.

PS is it ash, left over cambium looks like it?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
You DO look the part...I'm impressed...I must get back into the groove...too many excuses lately...

I'd like to see a side on view to check out the tiller...in the nicest possible way...

You need to make some projectiles next...

Well done

:D
To TomBartlett
Thankyou very much and those are some impressive photos you have! With regards to staves we took ours from a tree itself in November I believe so it doesnt have to be taken in summer i suppose
To Tony I know, I am not allways so serious :) and yep you are right time for another, and it just so happens i have another stave ready to go :)
To Dwardo. In this case the stave seemed to be screeming at me, it was my second one as the first was pretty much cracked all over and this one was not much better but it still became something. Yep it is ash, I am going to take that cambium off, sand it all nice and smooth and maybe even stain it a different colour but then again the white wood is so pure i may not.
To Stovie. The whole thing was made in a rush as it was part of my course and i just wanted a decent working bow so it is far from perfect as I really was running out of time on this one, after i tillered it as best i could it seemed to warp a little on its own which has confused me somewhat. Here you can see a photo...be nice http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_u3HmhKCFSiw/TCTfNn8BCSI/AAAAAAAAAUk/63eIAVgk_CM/s1600/Richards+170+e.jpg

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Not much to criticise N.P. Top limb a tad stiffer than the lower, but no big deal. An excellent first effort. All you need to do now is shoot it, as the tiller will settle with 50 arras or so. And then you will get an idea of it's true set.

Use it and enjoy it...well done

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Very nice indeed.

I have 3 7' staves I harvested in January waiting to be worked on, you have inspired me to find the time to start my first bow.

Look forward to seeing more.

All the best.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Absolute cracker of a first bow, or bow for that matter. I love the front profile and the cambium patches. any chance of a link to your blog? Well done!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE