Mums Christmas present.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi All,

Been a while since I did any leather work and my Mar had dropped enough hints over the year that she wanted a purse, handbag, satchel type thing. So being a typical bloke i left it to the last few weeks before Christmas. Well that was a bad idea as i seriously underestimated the amount of work that goes into these things.

So in a panic I exchanged several emails with Dred along the lines of "carp, help mate!" So with Dreds words of encouragement in mind i finally finished sewing this up on Christmas eve about 11pm. Mar was made up with it.

3mm front and back with the gussets (learnt a new word cheers dred) down to 2mm. The skiving was a long careful process and the whole thing was a learning curve/nightmare. Wont be doing any more any time soon. Brass rings and a hidden brass magnet fastener.

20151226_145623_zpsctwomi7u.jpg

20151226_145432_zpsjztjvnvl.jpg

20151226_145419_zpsmodn2lqm.jpg

20151217_163125_zpsvqnku4cn.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its beautiful.

I wish I had a mother to make things for (And a Dad who would apprechiate it, but he was pleased with his ginger wine and socks)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Obiwan Dreadobi has taught his padwan well. You've done a stonking job there. Your Mum must've been really chuffed with that. I'm thoroughly impressed.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks all.
Like most first go attempts a lot of it is getting your head around the various bits, making templates and reading up/hassling dred. Thinning the gusset and skiving all the edges carefully so as not to ruin the leather all takes time. Then there is the 350 plus stitches and then 4x the amount of awl holes!
The other surprise was the amount of dye that the flesh side sucked out the bottle. I would say material costs alone is £45+.

Anyways alls well that ends well. Certainly learnt a lot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE