Multi tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
I'm looking to get a multi tool. I have no idea about the different manufacturers but want good quality well built one. Not fussed about it folding down tiny, just want it to fit easily on my belt.

Ideally it would be nice if the blades locked too.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Toby

perpetualelevator

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
You'll probably have no shortage of answers, but my contribution is to suggest a Leatherman Wave. Big enough to feel useful, comfortable handles, locking blades (plain, serrated, saw, file) that you can access without opening the handles, and a useful selection of tools inside.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Leatherman and Victornox are probably the most widely used multitool makers.

Multitools from SOG have a distinctive feature of being able to purchase components seperately http://sogknives.com/store/components.html , so can configure it to your own personal tastes.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Toby,

You won't be sorry with the Leatherman Wave.

Beer Monster,

I have a Gerber Suspension as well as my Wave, it is good, I think the Wave has the edge on quality but this is reflected in the price. The Gerber is a great little tool.

Hope this helps.

Stewey.:D

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
just be careful with the locking blade. I was stuck in battersea a couple months back and decided since I was in london to go on the London eye. Two of us in full flight crew uniform, full identification on us, pay to go on and wander up to the security point just in front (incidentally run by British Airways). Guy askes if either of us have knives on us (both have), he has a look at my mates - a 3.5" non locking SAK, which is fine, then has a look at my wave and declares that seeing as it has a locking blade on it, regardless of the blade length, it's illegal and that he has to confiscate it. That's even if I then turned around and decided not to go on the London eye!
Now bearing in mind I go through airport security run by the same company on an almost daily basis, get access to the aprons and flight decks of multi million pound aircraft, and have the lives of my passengers in my hands, it seems incredible that I'm then not allowed to have a small multi tool in my pocket to be suspended in a small glass bubble over central London. There we go though. You've been warned!
Now I understand they're illegal anywhere in the UK without good reason so just be careful you don't get it confiscated by police or security. They're apparently getting hot on it in train stations at the moment

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
I'm looking to get a multi tool. I have no idea about the different manufacturers but want good quality well built one. Not fussed about it folding down tiny, just want it to fit easily on my belt.

Ideally it would be nice if the blades locked too.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Toby

I've had a Victorinox SwissTool on my belt for many years now, every day. Some years ago, Homebase had them on special offer and I bought another two (for back up). The SwissTool may not be perfect or sexy or the have the last word in blade steels, etc., but it does everything I ask of it. I've owned Leathermans and Gerbers (and Tim Leatherman deserves lasting thanks for inventing the multitool), but nothing so far has persuaded me to 'upgrade' from my SwissTool.

Burnt Ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE