quest for a new knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
as already mentioned in a few posts in the past: during a trip to nicaragua 4years ago i lost my five most-used knives and my pocketboy when being robbed by bandits...

my carving knife i replaced with a homemade replacement, in late 2021 i managed to replace my pocketboy and last year i got a new multitool, but lack of funds and availability have so far prevented getting a new main knife and skinning/ food prep blade...

a friend left for europe today and (as payment for my work) he promised to get me a new knife and torch. my lost main blade was a Fallkniven F1 and i'm looking for something similar in size and function. as i'm living in a tropical rainforest and close to the coast i need a tool which requires little maintenance, meaning stainless steel and (ideally) synthetic sheath; about the same size + shape as the F1 and 25mm or wider (=it's supposed to be a "heavy duty work knife" for backpacking/ hiking/ exploring and not a delicate whittling tool or food prep knife...)

so far i looked at the following options:
- another F1 in laminated VG10 w. zytel sheath (the newer steels are out of price range)
- Esee 3 in s35 (both about same price)
- Mora Garberg (bit too narrow)
- Condor aqualore (seems they've some issue with quality control and their steel is on the soft side...)

the most interesting option so far is the Brisa "trapper" as it comes in different steel options and -- what looks very interesting to me -- is available as a blade blank, meaning i could get a better steel (it's currently out of stock but i'm eyeballing the "elmax" version) and put my own handle on it (plenty of tropical hardwoods to choose from :) ) has anyone experience with the latter option?!

thanks!
(i apologize if replies might take a day or two due to limited internet access...)

Last edited:

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
You can get preformed G10 handles for the Brisa Trapper also, I'm no sure if it was on the homepage or via retailers here in EU. Those would work well in wet climates.

Also, 14c28n would be a good steel for your usage. There's the Sanrenmu S745 on Aliexpress, which is affordable.

Kato28

Jan 27, 2021
London
From the proposed I have the Mora Garberg in carbon steel. it is great for the money, tough steel and very easy to sharpen. You would probably want the 14C28N version, which is a great steel.

Also I just though I should mention that the F1 is not made in VG10 anymore, they switched to VG7 and the price has gone up also. They say the new steel is better, but it might be just marketing spiel.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
From the proposed I have the Mora Garberg in carbon steel. it is great for the money, tough steel and very easy to sharpen. You would probably want the 14C28N version, which is a great steel.

Also I just though I should mention that the F1 is not made in VG10 anymore, they switched to VG7 and the price has gone up also. They say the new steel is better, but it might be just marketing spiel.
Vg10 is the better steel over vg7, which I must admit I didn't know about until this post....I did a little Google search this morning and little info, so looked at the chemical parameters

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think that the stainless Morakniv Garberg is the best choice for you because it is as good as indestructible but otherwise the blade isn't too thick for an all purpose knife. The handle is very ergonomic and durable.

It performs better than the F1 in my opinion which is a good knife without any doubt, but if we are honest we have to admit that the blade of the F1 is too thick for most tasks. It has like the Trapper a slightly too small handle.

The plastic sheath of the Garberg can't convince at all, because the belt loop ring doesn't attach security to the sheath. You could loose the knife in the sheath and just keep that stupid ring.

So, you either get the Morakniv leather sheath with it or order a leather sheath from a shoemaker where you are, or you get an aftermarket kydex sheath @Herman30 recommended a Saxon kydex sheath maker who offers such a sheath that's made in his workshop with out sending the knife to him for example.

That's what I would choose if I were in your position.

Compared to the Trapper and slightly larger Brisa models the Garberg has the sex appeal of a German screw driver of course. But it's indeed an incredibly well made tool.

Condor knives are third world knives with changing quality and they are obviously over priced on the European market. And so far I know Esee knives are probably a sensible choice if you want to keep it in the car or use it around the farm house, simple and robust knives that obviously get the job done. But guess why there are more ergonomic after market scales for them offered, and coated blades are surely not the best option in the world. That are in my opinion farmer knives. They are cheap and OK and if you loose one it's also OK, that's the concept behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLM

Kato28

Jan 27, 2021
London
Vg10 is the better steel over vg7, which I must admit I didn't know about until this post....I did a little Google search this morning and little info, so looked at the chemical parameters
It‘s hard to say which one is better without a head to head test in the real world.
On paper the Tungsten in the VG7 should give it a bit more wear resistance vs the VG10, but not sure if that will translate in normal use.

thanks for the replies!

didn't know about fallkniven changing the steel, so that's off the list for me then...
condor is also off the list due to the mentioned quality issues. the Garberg does indeed not look as nice as some other knives but Paul Kirtley and several other well-known outdoor "gurus" seem happy with theirs :) brisa offers both blade blanks and entire kits (which are useless to me as they include a ferro rod which i've zero use for) -- didn't check their entire website but i'm sure they sell micarta and/or g10 as well (some more homework to do ... :) ) i'll check out the other mentioned knives as well, fortunately i've still a few weeks before making my decision :)

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
+1 for the Garberg. Fantastic tool in either steel and can be found for about £60. After market kydex sheath for £25

Will serve your needs perfectly.

How about one of the Spanish Joker bushcraft knives?

Excellent quality, micarta handled.

i forgot to mention them in post #1 but they caught my attention a while ago, too... their "nomad" looks a bit too long and thick (5mm iirc) for my liking but some smaller models like the "lynx" look interesting :)

to throw another knifemaker into the discussion: 20 years ago a "puma" knife saved my behind: are they still worth considering (iirc they moved their production away from solingen)?!

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
Another very similar knife to the Sanrenmu SRM S745 is the Ruike F118. Also 14c28n steel. First one is about 50€, the latter about 65€.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ll chuck a Casstrom into the mix.

Available as a blank too, but the orange G10 is a great option for your use and conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: forrestdweller

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
If you mean Sanrenmu, they're generally quite good. Don't expect a perfect secondary grind, but that's a small thing remedied by the first proper sharpening anyway. I don't have a Ruike myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE