Reasonable multi-tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I'm looking for a decent-ish multi-tool.
I broke my mate's Gerber Suspension at the weekend trying to bend a tent peg!
Pretty rubbish really, cracked it right through the hinge.

So if anyone has something similar knocking about they want to part with, I'd be grateful.

I thought it might be worth asking here first, as I'm trying to keep the replacement cost down.

• Wow
Reactions: SCOMAN

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Mmm... the Suspension is a £50 multitool IIRC - is it not covered by warranty?
Maybe, but he binned it.

Also it was a bit rusty, so I don't think he loved it that much. Hence I'm not that inclined to replace it with new, despite having broken it.

I should clarify, the tent peg I was trying to bend was quite a short length (3in) and 3-4mm steel. So perhaps it was a big ask. :rolleyes:

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
A leatherman wingman or sidekick would be a good replacement, better quality than the Gerber but lower priced than other leathermans

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Thanks, I used to have a wingman. Great tool, but they've gone up in price.
That would have been my first choice. As I agree, they're better.
I only paid £40 for mine.
Weirdly, the steel in the main blade was really good too.

Last edited:

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I’ve got a leatherman Rebar in great condition that is part with. It was a warranty replacement about a year ago but I’ve not really used it. Original leather sheath included. Let me know if interested.

Cheers
Dan

Reactions: Nice65

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Somewhat unreasonable but from the strongest end is Russian Ratnik 6E6 multitool, kind of looks like they started from train rails and went up from there.

It is though totally a military tool and from the dark side.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Somewhat unreasonable but from the strongest end is Russian Ratnik 6E6 multitool, kind of looks like they started from train rails and went up from there.

It is though totally a military tool and from the dark side.
Wow, that's a beast!
Built out of old tanks, to, er, rebuild tanks by the looks of it.
11cm bayonet anyone? :ar15:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The good ones are still made of German tanks. We ran out of fuel there, you know?

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Thanks chap,

That might do the trick.
Although I've just found this.
Out of the 2, go for the SCHRADE.

As an experienced daily user of multi tools, I really recommend getting either a leatherman or one of the Victorinox offerings (Swisstool), yes they are not cheap, but if you intend on really using it, buy a better quality one.

I really should film, what my multi tools get put through. I work in the water industry and they really get a hammering.

Once had a cheaper option, it lasted 2 weeks (Gerber 600), on average I have broken 5 leatherman multi tools (had really 7 warranty replacements), in 27 years of using multi tools.

They are worth it.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Cheers Gra, that was my thinking.

As it's a replacement, for something I won't use, I thought about what I would want/use, or be satisfied that someone had bought me as replacement.

I've got a Wave, and it's fantastic. But I can't stretch to that, or much more than £30-40, and the Wave etc would be a significant upgrade from my mate's.

The Schrade seems to tick most of the boxes without being silly money, but enough to not to break easily. It has limitations, but for the money, it looked the better option.

I've had some cheapo tools, and they just break, they tend to be poorly laid out, and the main knife steel is usually made out of old beer cans!

Schrade ordered, from Hennie, with discount code (bonus!) thanks for your help all.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Cheers Gra, that was my thinking.

As it's a replacement, for something I won't use, I thought about what I would want/use, or be satisfied that someone had bought me as replacement.

I've got a Wave, and it's fantastic. But I can't stretch to that, or much more than £30-40, and the Wave etc would be a significant upgrade from my mate's.

The Schrade seems to tick most of the boxes without being silly money, but enough to not to break easily. It has limitations, but for the money, it looked the better option.

I've had some cheapo tools, and they just break, they tend to be poorly laid out, and the main knife steel is usually made out of old beer cans!

Schrade ordered, from Hennie, with discount code (bonus!) thanks for your help all.
Looks like you got the last one too :)

Reactions: Brizzlebush

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE