Most difficult?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hello all.

I'd like to hear your views on what you think is the most "difficult" thing to do, if so to say, in bushcraft?? :) Skills and so on.

stay cool

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
TheViking said:
Hello all.

I'd like to hear your views on what you think is the most "difficult" thing to do, if so to say, in bushcraft?? :) Skills and so on.

stay cool

for me it's plant identification. I guess I've been shown a lot of the other stuff but since it was more survival then bushcraft didn't focus on it at all.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I find lighting fire when its damp difficult if i dont have matches and a bit of inner tube.I can use a fire steel and natural tinder (cramp balls, old mans beard and of course trusty old birch bark) but not impossible it just takes longer and if im cold and hungry its easy to cheat .

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
For me, the hardest thing is training myself to think about what i'm doing... I tend to just wade in to an environment where I should be looking around at the environment and learning from it.

This has caused me to carve wood only useful for burning when perfectly good wood was all over the place. To bed down on really uneven ground and wake up all crunched up with no blood in my feet and to miss all the really interesting stuff in a place because I was looking at something else.

I guess it comes down to being patient and at the moment anyway, I'm not very good at it.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Learning knots from a book, damn impossible. ;) That's why I prefer to be shown by someone

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
eraaij said:
That bloody handdrill. Smoke for me, but no coal yet. But I'll get there.

-Emile

Ah yes...I know all about that... know and understand...know, understand and get really (being polite here) annoyed with it :D

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Young Bushman said:
Learning knots from a book, damn impossible. ;) That's why I prefer to be shown by someone

Maybe I'm lucky or maybe it's because I like knots that I can cope with this. If I ever see you at a meet-up, just ask and I'll help you out with any you need.

For me, tracking. I would love to go on a course because trying to teach myself gets frustrating and I end up getting distracted by something else.

leon-1

I find hand drill frustrating like most people (I have only recently tried it), but it is a skill and in time it will come.

What I find really annoying are natural shelters, I spend so much time making one, it looks good, I get in it, it rains and no matter how meticulous I have been there always seems to be a leak normally directly over my head and I am subject to chinese water torture until I can fix it :)

Not a major problem and one that I can sort out quite easily, but still very very annoying :rolleyes:

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
My first big problem is getting out a doing it. I can be a lassy git.

Second is plant identification and not just the edible ones. I really would love to spend a week or more with an expert on this just to learn the basics.

James

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Not just me with the handrill then :) I found the firesteel easy but cant get the knack of fire by friction.
And young bushman, there are thousands of knots out there but you really only need about six or seven to do 99% of jobs. Same offer as Stew, you going in July?

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Plant identification is one of biggest bug bears too. Glad I'm not the only one :D

Does anyone fancy running a course?

I still have yet to master the bow drill as well, getting there though.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Avoid the temptation to think...'there's somewhere better if I go just a bit thurther' / 'If I look a bit longer I'll find exactly what I'm looking for' and those kind of thoughts.

As for skills, fire by friction can be a pain, I'm getting there but not ready to go out without a back up yet, usually a disposable lighter for my smokes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE