More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Tom

just been shopping in Sainsburys and they have these glass worktop savers at £6 which are the sort of thing I was thinking of

attachment.php

the other option is a car door side window most are flat and are toughened glass

Chas

Attachments

• WORKTOP SAVER.jpg
    WORKTOP SAVER.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 432

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers Chas!
i like the car side door idea, plenty of scrappies to try.

i may have got it sorted any road, someone replied to my freecycle request not too far away and has offered me a 2 foot 6 inch by two foot hardened glass coffee table top. I'll have to see when her self can chauffeur me that's convenient to the donar as it would be a pig to move on a bus!

ATB

Tom

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Hi Tom,
Know anyone who is getting rid of an old cooker/oven with a glass door (or try the scrap yard)? Usually they are composed of an outer fixd glass and an inner glass pane which can be removed for cleaning. These are ideal for what you need and toughened too. I rescued the pane from our old cooker before it went away to use as a lapping plate for flattening sharpening stones.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks but I think it's sorted. Herself phoned the guy as requested to arrange a pick up time / day and since he wants shut of two glass topped coffee tables ASAP she is taking flexi and picking them up from Nelson about 3.

So unless my ability to cut glass is worse than I thought I should be in the position to offer the spare bits as freebies for anyone else willing to collect although I'm tempted to turn most of one of them into a beeeeg light box as I do more tracing of drawings than most and have the wood and tools, most of the electrical bits as well. I'll see what's left anyway,

I'll need to back the glass I'll be using for flattening on something, make it easier to carry about and act as protection, possibly with a layer of something soft between them although with the thick safety class he described and its previous use it sounds pretty stong stuff.

As well as some bought of the roll garnet paper I've been saving the worn out or ripped sanding belts I've created and they will provide a range of grit sizes to work through.

I'll inflict pics on you when it's done.

ATB

Tom

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
If its hardened/safety glass won't it shatter if you try to cut it?

I'm no expert but I think that is what happens:confused:

Would be worth looking up before trying.

Cheers
Grebby

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, I did not know that, I will google it before I try doing it. They are in the back of the wife's car being driven home I just heard. They are still usable full size but will be harder to store.

atb

tom

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi

I managed a few bits at the weekend, Not all tools, Would Binoculars and Telescopes count as tools??

I bought a Propane blowlamp top for 50p (Have two already) I bought a smashing old set of Swift Tecnay 10x50 Bin's from a mate that stands occasionally! He collects Binoculars, The set is the only set he ever bought new!!, I bought a small old brass pocket telescope which i've tightened a bit an polished up!

I also bought a Tamiya Mad Bull R/C car for £4.50, It came with three batteries, All three are kaput as are my four that I already had!!, I just made an offer on two new 2000Mah ones on fleabay and my £15 offer for the two was accepted!! :cool::cool:

I also bought what I thought was a fake G Shock for £2! I put a fresh 1220 cell in and if fired up!! Turns out that it's not a fake! It's good enogh to wear for work as watches take a fair old bashing in the foundry :(

The car!

cibwVda.jpg

The £2 pocket scope, Optics were filthy, I've removed them all and cleaned them with lense cleaner, They're much better but leave a hell of a load to be deired with modern coated ones!!!

7TngcNz.jpg

The blowamp head..

nh21EoT.jpg

I forgot about the telescope lenses!! Two quid for the 10mm, 4mm and 3x Barlow lens and 50p for the current night sky guide!!!

sEfRJKM.jpg

I would have bought the Celestron sco-pe too but the fella had forgotten about it!! :(

Cheers, John :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If its hardened/safety glass won't it shatter if you try to cut it?

I'm no expert but I think that is what happens:confused:

Would be worth looking up before trying.

Grebby's right that safety/harden glass will shatter if you try to cut it like ordinary glass.

I believe you are able to cut it on a diamond wheel tile cutter though.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
It's not necessary to have toughened glass for lapping. For doing small stuff like my computers cpu and heatsinks I have some small pieces of 1/8 in. greenhouse glass, for bigger things like cylinder heads I used 1/4 in. window glass.

Don't put anything soft under the glass because glass does flex. My preferred backing is a piece of 40mm kitchen worktop, it's flat (unless it's been stored badly) and waterproof if I'm using the wet n dry wet. Pieces of batten clamped to the backing at the top and bottom of the glass keep it in place and the wetndry can be slipped under them to keep that in place as well.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi

I managed a few bits at the weekend, Not all tools, Would Binoculars and Telescopes count as tools??

I bought a Propane blowlamp top for 50p (Have two already) I bought a smashing old set of Swift Tecnay 10x50 Bin's from a mate that stands occasionally! He collects Binoculars, The set is the only set he ever bought new!!, I bought a small old brass pocket telescope which i've tightened a bit an polished up!

I also bought a Tamiya Mad Bull R/C car for £4.50, It came with three batteries, All three are kaput as are my four that I already had!!, I just made an offer on two new 2000Mah ones on fleabay and my £15 offer for the two was accepted!! :cool::cool:

I also bought what I thought was a fake G Shock for £2! I put a fresh 1220 cell in and if fired up!! Turns out that it's not a fake! It's good enogh to wear for work as watches take a fair old bashing in the foundry :(

The car!

cibwVda.jpg

The £2 pocket scope, Optics were filthy, I've removed them all and cleaned them with lense cleaner, They're much better but leave a hell of a load to be deired with modern coated ones!!!

7TngcNz.jpg

The blowamp head..

nh21EoT.jpg

I forgot about the telescope lenses!! Two quid for the 10mm, 4mm and 3x Barlow lens and 50p for the current night sky guide!!!

sEfRJKM.jpg

I would have bought the Celestron sco-pe too but the fella had forgotten about it!! :(

Cheers, John :)

Nice scores! I had a lay in so didn't go anywhere. Mind can't complain as instead I had a wander about the farmers market in the afternoon, met a guy at a forging demonstration and on Monday swapped my white elephant of a knackered 140 lb anvil got on the cheap for a sweet little William Parker Atetrcliffe 57 lb job that's perfect for my needs.

One question, the blow torch, is it the sort with the one inch thread rather than the camping gaz what? 1/4 inch or what ever it is? If it is 1" we'll keep looking but if that size doesn't turn up in the UK I'll give up looking for one on the boots.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nothing much on Accy flea today, A chap talked himself down to £12.50 for this roll of 42 odd brace bits . I'm short of Jennings pattern drills , have loads of Irvins, so I gave it a punt. There's several in really useful small sizes which naturally survive less, a few reaming tools which work really well on bone and horn. I'll drop themin the derusting goo over night to see what they are like under the surface rust.

atb

tom

image.jpg1_zpsqm4pjrjy.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Woke early so herded the livestock downstairs, got toast inside them and in the car by 9 and hit three boots and the craft fair in Rawtenstall.

image.jpg1_zpslesdlzvh.jpg

Finally picked up a 3 gallon Dixie, £10, should clean up nice. I know you can get them new for under £35 but that goes against my grain!

3 bowls balls ( LV I think ) £5, one with a couple of repairs but for turning into mallet heads so that don't signify. Rather pleased with that.

Boxed, unopened, bottle of Punch medium brown leather dye. Says 50ml on the label but about a pint, guy had several. £2

Steel TengTools tool box. £3, contained the pile of tools in front. Some are worth saving but it was the box I was after to have something that wouldn't melt/ burn for keeping the smaller forge tools in since I'll be working outside.

5 pint Moira stoneware mug, a present from herself although she did want the big pile of key rings that was in it on the stall. We have a tradition that when working outside any drink brought out is communal so it sort of fits in with that. No doubt it was made as a novelty.

Pair of smith made short pincers, just the job for the jobs we intend to do on the mini forge, the others were a bit long and unwieldy for doing small stuff. Rivet needs a bit of tightening. £2

Genuine North Brothers "Yankee" 130a spiral screwdriver, £1.50. They were bought out by Stanley in 1946 but the name survived into the 1950s. It's in remarkably good condition.

Three Swedish made plastic trays, 60p each. Thought they would be useful for sorting seeds, drying stuff on etc.

ATB

TOMl

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Here's the latest bunch I've fettled, the brace bits responded well to the oxcilic acid, even if some ain't as shiny as when first I got them. They are silky smooth and the cutting edges are sharp which is the main thing. Three weren't worth the candle so were consigned to the scrap to practice forging pile. The irwins are mainly no names but when I tested the wrong ends on the wheel they sparked well so the steel seams ok. The Jennings etc are all decent Sheffield brands like Whitehouse and Sons, Ridgeway, Sorby etc. the two square section reamers I'll lap on diamond stones when I next get them out.

The Yankee is in remarkably good condition, just needed a clean and a oil really to free up the action. The springs sound. Normally I ponce about sanding the wood bare and smooth but this time all I did was scrape the blobs of paint and glue off it and rub it over with isopropyl alchahol to spread the existing dye/paint about and fill the scratches and bare bits, then oiled it with double boiled linseed. It's dried already so I'll give it a bit more before I put it away. The blade that came with it was a bit rough so I've ground it down to a decent shape and flattened it on a diamond stone.

The Stanley knife was made by Spiralux, I just removed the flakey paint and put in some none rusty blades.

The nippers are unbranded, just cleaned up the edges on the wheel, touched them up with a file after wire wheeling the rust off. They will do for a lender.

Normally i I wouldn't have bothered doing up the pliers , I've plenty of good ones and they were pretty far gone but they were decent Elliot Lucas ones once and having a pair I don't mind mangling isn't a bad thing. I will admit to being a bit precious about my tools. I had to shorten them by at least a quarter of a inch to get jaws that closed completely they were so rounded.

The Handrill just needed cleaning and oiling, again good enough for a lender.

image.jpg5_zpspmopggah.jpg

Now back to pushing a 18" plane plate up and down a 30 odd inch strip of oily garnet paper clamped to a sheet of glass. It's getting there, would do as is but I may as well get it to my liking, the couple of deep scratches I'll probably never get rid of without losing a silly amount of metal. The sides won't take long at all and the rests ready to be slapped back on.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Tidying up in the shed today I found herself has smuggled in another batch of pulleys from the Sunday Haslingdon car boot so I cleaned them up for her ( ones in the box )

image.jpg1_zpsfsthbizn.jpg

I've policed up some of the ones I did for her before ( others in pic ) but I've no idea where the rest are. I've still not been able to get her to say why she wants them. The only rope she's bought is that pure linen stuff quarter inch stuff I needed to make slow match with from the bondage site...

ulp.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The guy had a big ammo box full of them, I'll see if herself will confess to how much they cost , it won't be much or she wouldn't have got them on spec'. He has a container as a lock up on site and is there every Sunday.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
No boot today as were were too busy boxing up ebay sales to drop off for My Hermes tomorrow but i got a couple of tools yesterday at Huddersfield flea, a lovely Hobbies brand Archimedes drill that was a quid because of cosmetic rust that all disappeared with a quick soak in citric acid.

P1010003_zpstewrhvqh.jpg

The mechanism is wonderfully simple, the slider disengages from the twisted rod on the up stroke while the cross bars act as a flywheel so the drill spins in only one direction. I cant stop folk playing with it.

A tenner got me a wonderfully still sharp Tyzack, sons and Turner Sheffield No. 120 saw, the blades a bit pitted ( after derusting and wet and drying smooth I rubbed paraffin wax on it that's filled the holes a bit, seams to cut fine so its just a cosmetic annoyance ) there's a couple of deep stains on the beech handle but its other wise sound. I had to paint strip it and scrape glue and all sorts off it. I'm still using up the danish oil with a stain in it I got cheap on jobs like this. There's enlarged indent around one of the bolt holes where you'd normally get the medallion but the bolt used there matches the other two so it looks like it was that way from new. Having visited the museum in Sheffield where the Tyzack tool works was a couple of times and having a particular fondness for elephants she particularly like the old "nonpareil" logo. Theres one stamped into the thick brass back.

P1010006_zpsfecj4kta.jpg

Im rather chuffed with it.

ATB

Tom

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
No boot today as were were too busy boxing up ebay sales to drop off for My Hermes tomorrow but i got a couple of tools yesterday at Huddersfield flea, a lovely Hobbies brand Archimedes drill that was a quid because of cosmetic rust that all disappeared with a quick soak in citric acid.

P1010003_zpstewrhvqh.jpg

The mechanism is wonderfully simple, the slider disengages from the twisted rod on the up stroke while the cross bars act as a flywheel so the drill spins in only one direction. I cant stop folk playing with it.

A tenner got me a wonderfully still sharp Tyzack, sons and Turner Sheffield No. 120 saw, the blades a bit pitted ( after derusting and wet and drying smooth I rubbed paraffin wax on it that's filled the holes a bit, seams to cut fine so its just a cosmetic annoyance ) there's a couple of deep stains on the beech handle but its other wise sound. I had to paint strip it and scrape glue and all sorts off it. I'm still using up the danish oil with a stain in it I got cheap on jobs like this. There's enlarged indent around one of the bolt holes where you'd normally get the medallion but the bolt used there matches the other two so it looks like it was that way from new. Having visited the museum in Sheffield where the Tyzack tool works was a couple of times and having a particular fondness for elephants she particularly like the old "nonpareil" logo. Theres one stamped into the thick brass back.

P1010006_zpsfecj4kta.jpg

Im rather chuffed with it.

ATB

Tom
That tenon saw is a beauty...£10 ?!?!?
What a Bargain...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE