More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Previously I've been lucky enough to pick up lamps for peanuts from charity shops or car boots, glass bottomed ones are dirt cheap but I've never paid more than 5 for a wick lantern or 10 for a pressure lantern.

image.jpg1_zpsw5t8lyib.jpg

The he presure jobs just get used outdoors and the wick jobs gather dust until there's a power cut, mainly as they are so smelly in use. The Aladdin, well it smells more sitting there than it dies kicking out light due to the mantle.

i've picked up various sizes of wick when I've seen it cheep so I have a range to try if I pick up a lamp cheap.

ATB

Tom

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Love the oil lamps goodjob

I went today and found a few prizes!!

I bought these for a hobby bench saw that I bought a few years ago and was minus a blade!, Turned out I had the wrong size in mind, Diameter is OK but the spindle size is 5/8" (16mm), I thought it was 7/8" (22mm), The spacers don't go down to 16mm :( Shall have to make on on the lathe!!

no08Dbl.jpg

This is the saw..

8N5z3dR.jpg

Also got a few more bits too!

A pair of hefty 600mm cramps for £6..

1ETIbjh.jpg

Other bits..

WtOyerh.jpg

Ua4hSQc.jpg

Still full tin of Tung based oil for 50p..

EL3wqRM.jpg

Old and scruffy, Casstte belt seems to be snapped but the radio works OK, Be fine for using at work!!

jUEMGDJ.jpg

The Sekonda manual wind has kept good time all day but was pricy at £6!! :eek::eek::D

KUOutkB.jpg

Anyone else been??

John :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nice scores! We were down visiting the inlaws in Oxford so no carboots for us although we did take time to hit a vast number of charity shops in about a dozen towns. We brought back a huge haul anyway but none of it particularly bushy, the nearest being some screw top kilner jars and a new wick lantern chimney for a pound as I happen to have one to fit in storage lacking the same, just need to solder the base back on.

Weirdest thing bought? A huge mahogany snooker score board from the local pub I was occasionally dragged into when we lived in Stockport 14 years back. I really need to get a snooker balls now! I did pick up a half decent ramin wood 2 piece cue for the youngest and a box of a dozen quality chalks for peanuts which was nice.

Hopefully we get to the boots on Sunday. Today is a make and mend, I've just slept for as near to 12 hours as makes no difference so I think we need a rest!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
We got to two boots today, I nearly didn't bother but am rather glad we did.

image.jpg1_zpsiqyqebrz.jpg

9 old school reporters notebooks, always useful, £3
2 unused bone folders, a quid a piece, I've quite a few already so I may use the larger to make another hair ornament for herself, the hard work having been done by someone else.
2 Leki sticks, one was £3.50, the other £3, both in good condition. I'll clean, dry and reassemble them, neither need new tips. That's all three lads now with adult length poles now they have out grown their kiddie ones.
Finally a as new blender to go on either of my Kenwood chefs £4. If I'd got there earlier there would have still been the mincer attachments etc which I admit I would have bought and never use. The blender I will use having burned out the last modern piece of junk chopping up sponge to make a vast amount of clump foliage... Er hem.
Two minty under the mud Service Ration Depot gallon bottles, no scratches, cracks or chips I can see. The lady wanted 6 quid for the first but took 10 for the pair. Ones marked Moira Co Ltd Pottery and the other has a smeared makers mark but a clear "1940" next to it. I'll give them a good clean later. I'm rather chuffed with them to be honest, "Rum" bottles are getting quite expensive from dealers etc. they are great for storing turps, linseed oil etc.
2 skirt lengths of pure wool tweed by James Pringles of Inverness, £3 each. A metre by a metre and a half so big enough for waist coats, breeches, hats, stuff like that. A bit rich for me but it's rather nice stuff! ( yes I am that cheap!)
in the centre are a pair of big Champion Sheffield scissors to do up and some man sized pliers by Elliot Lucas Cannock England. Ultra Tensile, whatever that means?!
The wooden box was a pound still unused in its card box, mahogany, made to take slides but the plastic inserts will be easy to remove and I'll use it for small tools. The flints were 10p a pack and the unused spice tin was also a quid, I've been looking for something like that to take car camping.

it made me a happy bunny any road!

atb

tom

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi all

I went to two bootsales and only bought one thing, This lovely old Arcoy Dovetailing jig complete with all three cutters and instructions!!

uLzfS1Z.jpg

I think at £4 it was a bargain ;)

I almost bought a Youngmans 3.8m telescopic ladder for £15 but I couldn't get it to stay up!, It seems there was something wrong with the latching mechanism :(

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Outstanding, last time I saw one of them, in a very reasonable shop, it was 45 and I've seen them for 75 plus!

I've never quite got my head around how they work.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
More of a charity shop find but one of these

http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/toggi-rancher-3-4-length-wax-jacket

for £10, brand new except the shop labels had been removed. Size large. They had another like it without the shoulder cape and with more pockets but only one of my sons can merit a mans large so far so I got just the one he liked best. When I realised how gormless I'd been not buying both I went back but it had gone. Way it goes.

Since it doesn't have a hood I'll let him pick something wide brimmed from all the fedoras and alike I never wear now. He's got a leather job but I think he prefers fur felts!

ATB

Tom

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
More of a charity shop find but one of these

http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/toggi-rancher-3-4-length-wax-jacket

for £10, brand new except the shop labels had been removed. Size large. They had another like it without the shoulder cape and with more pockets but only one of my sons can merit a mans large so far so I got just the one he liked best. When I realised how gormless I'd been not buying both I went back but it had gone. Way it goes.

Since it doesn't have a hood I'll let him pick something wide brimmed from all the fedoras and alike I never wear now. He's got a leather job but I think he prefers fur felts!

ATB

Tom

That coat looks fab Tom :cool::cool:

The wife once bought me a Barbour waxed hat, sort of like a cowboy hat from a charity shop, I think from memory she paid £5 for it, Was a long time ago though, I've no idea where it is now, Never wore it though!!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A small haul today but everything was dirt cheap,

image.jpg1_zpszlffqzfw.jpg

For or a pound I got enough wood to make the two pancheon lids I need to do, a knocked apart hall table that's either oak or beech stained to look like oak, I'll sand it down anyway, two pairs of planks that make up 16" squares, 1/2 a inch thick. Quarter sawn so they will be pretty anyway. The legs will make the batons and handles .

The 5 cotton duffle bags were £2 each, you can buy them new for 6 or 7 but still a bargain. 'Guy says he has loads if I need more.

Theres some storage rust on the Ridgeway expansive bit but it's otherwise minty, I'll wire brush it later, 50p.

Same price for the sledge head, I guess about 12lb, I'll de rust it and use it as a weight or something, I've too many to merit putting a handle on it. I may saw some upholstery leather around it so it won't mark whatever I hold down with it.

I'll spare you the rest but it was all for a pittance, which is always heartening.

ATB

Tom

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Sundays haul :headbang:

Squier acoustic that has a very nice tone, Cost £30 and came with electronic tuner, Capo, Stand, bag and picks..

lBjnJEp.jpg

110 Jigsaw blades i9n a carry case for a tenner, None have been used!!

iMQitac.jpg

T'uther side..

JamzXBZ.jpg

Two new American 5m tape measures for £3

gf1jgxb.jpg

A 10x50 Tasco Zip focus binocular for £4, Came with a softcase..

P8e2PWC.jpg

And lastly a lovely Sekonda Qtz chono for a quid, Needed a cell, It's running superbly no...

HMUrHij.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Mainly picked up non tool/ outdoorsy stuff at the last few carboots and fleas but since I've just finished a session cleaning up the tool finds I thought I'd put up a pic of the latest collected haul.

image.jpg1_zpsajtjgqc8.jpg

14 inch Spiralux Yankee screwdriver with three bits. Pretty much unused £4. Rather chuffed with that one
Bag of hemp tow ( feels and smells just like the linen stuff I got from a spinning shop) for fire lighting £1
Two 3/16" Priory tinsmiths swages for closing folded seams £1 each. Derusted and burs on the butt end ground off.
12" tongs, can't make out the firm but it's followed by SHEFIELD £2.
3 very hard steel fitters scrapers ( not sure what the proper name is ) after derusting I flattened the backs with 3 grades of diamond stone and touched up the edges. I've got them for scraping bone and horn. No makers marks.
Small turn screw by Stormont, Sheffield, just needed the handle sanding and 24 hrs in a pot of stained Danish oil. 50p
Beech handled prodding tool thing £1 probably for rag rug making. Derusted and wood sorted.
12"/30cm Rabone ruler £1 the guy had 40 odd steel and folding rulers for a quid a pop on Huddersfield Flea.
]11" W & J A Baxter Ltd Sheffield scissors. Needed derusting, the screw tightening after the slot being recut and the edge sharpening. Cuts nice. 50p
7" William Rodgers Sheffield on one side , Magba (?) Regd. England on the other scissors, just needed slight derusting, cuts really well, 50p
1/8"dia snap and set for hand riveting. No makers mark. 50p. Derusted and large burrs moved.

Not shown as I forgot about it a first pattern Surform handle fitted with a new USA Microplane blade 50p. I'd love to. Get hold of the Microplane blade to fit the palm sized handle but they are ridiculously expensive over here but only $9 over the pond.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Mainly picked up non tool/ outdoorsy stuff at the last few carboots and fleas but since I've just finished a session cleaning up the tool finds I thought I'd put up a pic of the latest collected haul.

image.jpg1_zpsajtjgqc8.jpg

14 inch Spiralux Yankee screwdriver with three bits. Pretty much unused £4. Rather chuffed with that one
Bag of hemp tow ( feels and smells just like the linen stuff I got from a spinning shop) for fire lighting £1
Two 3/16" Priory tinsmiths swages for closing folded seams £1 each. Derusted and burs on the butt end ground off.
12" tongs, can't make out the firm but it's followed by SHEFIELD £2.
3 very hard steel fitters scrapers ( not sure what the proper name is ) after derusting I flattened the backs with 3 grades of diamond stone and touched up the edges. I've got them for scraping bone and horn. No makers marks.
Small turn screw by Stormont, Sheffield, just needed the handle sanding and 24 hrs in a pot of stained Danish oil. 50p
Beech handled prodding tool thing £1 probably for rag rug making. Derusted and wood sorted.
12"/30cm Rabone ruler £1 the guy had 40 odd steel and folding rulers for a quid a pop on Huddersfield Flea.
]11" W & J A Baxter Ltd Sheffield scissors. Needed derusting, the screw tightening after the slot being recut and the edge sharpening. Cuts nice. 50p
7" William Rodgers Sheffield on one side , Magba (?) Regd. England on the other scissors, just needed slight derusting, cuts really well, 50p
1/8"dia snap and set for hand riveting. No makers mark. 50p. Derusted and large burrs moved.

Not shown as I forgot about it a first pattern Surform handle fitted with a new USA Microplane blade 50p. I'd love to. Get hold of the Microplane blade to fit the palm sized handle but they are ridiculously expensive over here but only $9 over the pond.

ATB

Tom

Nice haul there Tom!!

Well done mate :cool::cool:

I didn't go this week or last due to the arthritis in my ankles/knees giving me much gip :(

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Very nice. I have a few of those scrapers...useful for all sorts of things.

Recently I found an expanding brace bit for 20p, a couple of awls and a load of 10mm brass eyelets.

But the set that came with them was 13mm...(And guess who already has a 13mm set and no 10mm one??)

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Did anyone go??

I managed a few bits yesterday..

Left hand three were a quid each, Right hand three were a quid for the lot!
b7PIvlB.jpg

The little bins were £2, The pincers were 20p and the watches were £2 each- Watches seem to be getting expensive these days!! :yikes:
bIg9LS4.jpg

I asked how much these extendable loppers were and the fella said three quid (Unless I heard wrong), Anyhow I gave him a tenner, The change was all pound coins, He said to check it but I said 'I'll trust you'!

When I got home I removed the change from my trouser pockets and there was 10 £1 coins, I only had one in my pocket and the loppers were the last thing I bought!

Having worked in a foundry for almost 40 years, My hearing is well and truely shot, He could have said a quid for them!, Either that or he couldn't count!!! :eek:
HCOXLfl.jpg

I also bought a shower mixer block for 50p!! It's like new but the baseplate is missing, I found a replacement online for £7.70 :cool:

Cheers, John :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats handy.

I found a few curved and pointed (riffler?) files, and some small tin snips.

Also one of those Japanese iron tea pots (Will go to a tea fiend for xmas, I suspect, though I would like to keep it) and a Lichfield apache tent.

Sep 4, 2015
fylde coast
Theres some cracking restoration work on the old hand tools, whats the best way of derusting them to get the sort of finishes your acheiving?
id quite like to do up and use some old woodworking tools for gunstock work.If I can get them from bootsales.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Careful selection of tool to make sure there's no deep pitting where it matters like along edges that will be repeatedly sharpened, removal of loose stuff with a soft wire brush ( bronze bristles rather than steel unless you have a light hand ). Soaking in in either a hot solution of citric acid ( cheaper, less harmful but leaves a nasty black residue that cleans off easily enough ) or oxacilic acid ( more expensive, leaves less residue, works faster , more toxic). Strength and length of soak depends on how much rust but can be repeated. Then cleaning over with a wire wheel and wet and dry, being careful not to bugger up any cutting edges or threads etc..

Thats the the short version, the long ones are in the thread.

Off to a couple of boots. Not been for a while, lovely and sunny out.

ATB

Tom

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
G Shock watches seem to be popular on here, so this morning I bought one for £3 that needs a battery. I hope it works and I hope it's not a fake. It feels like quality but that's no guarantee. What should o be looking for when buying a G Shock watch at a boot sale?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
we had rather a good day of it today, found some bits I've been after.

image.jpg1_zps5xqhadrp.jpg

Best buy was a box of 45 odd shoe sole, insole and sock press cutters for £30. Some cosmetic rust I'll dissolve off but the edges are still sharp etc. about half are sizes too small for the family members so I will sell on and more than get my money back. The same stall had boxes of Siaco plastic shoe lasts. Lovely condition at £2 a pair so I got a range of sizes for the family and likely growth of the lads feet and a spare pair of 8 Wides to go on the pay and probably cover the cost of the rest. I'm chuffed to bits. Need to score some sole leather now.

Next off I got a lovely condition set of Aramith 1 7/8 th Snooker balls with triangle for a fiver, now I can put up the huge pub score board I scored a couple of weeks back ( from a pub I used to frequent when visiting mates dragged me out when we lived in Stockport ) without feeling daft, only having pool balls before this...

The pair of about 4 foot by 5 each heavy cotton canvas curtains were 2 quid and will make some excellent bags and pouches. The linings a poly cotton but I won't waste it.

The full plastic bottle is Avel special textiles cleaning solution 50p.

Two quid got me the unbranded gents saw, can opener and the rather nice curved smooth file, straight it would be about 12 inch. It's marked WASP on the back and PREMIER ( something unreadable ) SHEFFIELD. I've a smaller curved one that's been very useful at times. It's hardly been used anyway and will clean up lovely.

Another stall and another two pounds got me the stubby gouge ( mo makers mark visible as yet ) the very narrow tack pulling pliers ( cobblers I think ) markings on inside of handle may become clear when derusted. Most useful will be the dainty little 1/8" wide chisel, I forget the name but it's for clearing out the bottom of mortices. Marked J.B .ADDIS & SONS. SHEFFIELD 21 on one side and 10 PRIZE MEDAL on the opposite. I've been looking for something like it for a while.

Lastly another £2 got me the tape dispenser, 3 lace bobbins, 2 quick un picks and the Clover brand pricking wheel.

I'll be doing the de rusting ( got some files to finish for a very patient person on the forum anyway) tomorrow . Pic when they are done.

not shown as they were got earlier in the week is the Karimor Spirit 30-35 bag I got free as it was dirty and couldn't be sold by the charity shop ( just mud, washed off lovely and I did put a donation in the box) and the 29 English Abrasives 610 x 75 mm belt sander belts ( mix of 50 and 120 grit ) I got for a tenner.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE