Axe mask/headcase for wood Tools carving axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
As mentioned in another thread I wanted to make a case for the carving axe that herself got me for my birthday.

3mm veg tan, copper rivets. linen thread and the last 2 press studs I had from a huge batch I got 5 years back on Accy carboot.

my riveting and stitching are a but iffy from lack of practice but over all I'm pleased with it.

o5iIhPV.jpg

cdvZBNb.jpg

5fL9MJx.jpg

I made the pattern slightly overlarge as the whole thing was immersed in a double boiler of beeswax my mate collected for me. Shrinkage was a acceptable amount and I used a carboot hair dryer to drive in the wax. it will lighten off quite a bit as the wax cures. The wooden thing sticking out of the side is to shape the belt/strap loop as the wax sets. once its cured I'll use a bone slicker to polish the edges.

vqLO3Ad.jpg

Tomorrow I'll use the band saw to cut 4 x 4 inch by 12 pieces of inch thick MDF to mount the 800, 1200 and 250 grit self adhesive wet and dry that arrived today as per Mr Woods video on sharpening it. I've a new tube of Autosol on the way from a ebay seller to polish the bevel, my 10 year old tubes down to the last squirt!

ATB

Tom

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Just made myself a leather tomahawk cover through the punch holes (rather than rivets) to make it more authentic as an Indigenous weapon / tool . Will try to post a pic but am having problems again uploading from my phone .

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nice work. Since you plan to make that axe carving sharp and keep it that way, a cover is essential, not just for safety. The sandpapers need only a dab of masking tape at each end. Gravity is your friend, so is axe pressure. Skip all the glue stuff.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks!

I must have made about 8 masks now in various styles but this is the first for a axe i've had from new, all the rest have been for ones I've restored.

Airborne09 have you seen Larry Wells "Leather Makin' " ? A manual on primitive and modern leather skills. It's aimed at those interested in mountain man / Native American culture and gear. It was printed in 1985 so is a bit dated.

Atb

Tom

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Cheers folks!

I must have made about 8 masks now in various styles but this is the first for a axe i've had from new, all the rest have been for ones I've restored.

Airborne09 have you seen Larry Wells "Leather Makin' " ? A manual on primitive and modern leather skills. It's aimed at those interested in mountain man / Native American culture and gear. It was printed in 1985 so is a bit dated.

Atb

Tom
Thanks Tombear I will check it out

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
No worries, I've 4 or 5 Mountain man/ Primative living skills and kit books back from my Grizzly Adams period. Well not more than 12...

I got around to cutting the MDF to mount the adhesive wet and dry on and since the boards are quite bulky and wouldn't fit in my sharpening draw i made up ba dedicated box for axe and adze sharpening. the axe file is a old but still sharp Swift Sheffield and theres a coupe of pucks, ones a new old stock Carborundum Manchester although the box is falling apart. the bottles contain machine oil to keep the rust off and linseed oil for the wood.

fdRdsQy.jpg

ATB

Tom

Ray Smears

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2022
Somerset
That’s great. I’m looking for a pair of cases for my hatchets I refurbished. See my sig pic.
I may have a go myself.
Regards
Ray

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE