More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, a bit of googling and there should be a black plastic washer thing in the indent around the bolt hole on the later tyzack saws. I'll find something suitable to fill the gap.

The main thing is the blades straight, the teeth are good and sharp so I don't need to file anything and it was cheep due to the cosmetic state of it.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, I'm not sure if these really belong in this thread but they were tremendous bargains compared with what eBay buy in nowe-ers and dealers are asking for them. They don't even need doing up they are in fine usable condition, although I won't be able to resist pretyfying them.

image.jpg1_zpsz7pu86nj.jpg

front to back. Stanley No. 140 skew block and rabbet plane. Some pitting on the removable side plate but the base is sweet, I've found a article on tuning them. Already cuts like a dream. Stopped making them in about 1943/4

USA Stanley "sweet heart' No. 112 scraper plane, fantastic condition, a complete steal at what he asked for it.

USA Stanley No. 7 Bailey plane, again the base is in excellent condition, Since I can do it cheaply I'm tempted to swap in the one bit that has rust coming through the chrome, I'll see how well it responds to the oxcillic acid first, it's purely cosmetic .

The 14 inch brass backed Tyzack Sons & Turner saw was a freebie in appreciation of our spending so much with him as he knows herself has a thing for their elephant logo. It's actually in better condition than the one I blew a tenner on last week and restored.

On the way home we called in at Nelson and I blew, well will blow when it's delivered on Monday as he only took a nominal deposit, the largest part of my windfall silly money on a reconditioned six foot slate bed solid hard wood, green baize Riley snooker table, the biggest size that we can get up the stairs to the weaving shed. I'll make my own false top for it to use as a cutting out table and as a support for the lads wargames table. A 7 footer would have been nice but that would have involved removing a wall. It's for pool so the size isn't a problem. I'll rig the space between the legs as more storage, part tools part wargames stuff.

The rest of the windfall ( sold a bunch of unmade model kits on eBay and people went mad, ) will go on a decent vacuum bagger and wood to use those planes on.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! They weren't cheap but at well under half of the going rate I aint complaining. He had a nice No. 6 ready to use like the one I'm taking a age to do up, for about 35 quid.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Its dusted off real pretty

image.jpg1_zpsguv4ib3w.jpg

I just hope the hardware store still has a mantle as I'd like to get it into use ASAP.

I take it the normal parafin I put through my wick and pressure lamps is good enough for a mantle job?

Also if the local shp proves a bust can anyone point me towards a cheap source of aladdin mantles? Cheapest I've seen so far is 14.99 on eBay with free postage.

I can't believe the amount of dust I've let build up on my small lamp collection, Shows I've not used them for a few months.

ATB

Tom

....and almost exactly a year later I've finally splashed out on a mantle with the dregs of my windfall money that's not been earmarked for some of Mr. Budds finest. Should arrive on Friday, tomorrow if I'm lucky.

Now to assemble the base for the 6 foot Riley pool table that nearly crippled us getting up to the Shed with literally 1/2 a inch to spare. Mind it's a corker, slate bed, new green baize and cushions, solid mahogany, the tops been totally refurberb but they hadn't got around to French polishing the base so I'll be doing that myself, bought the stuff yesterday and read up on it as it's been near 30 years since I last did it, at school. Same bimble I picked up a nice BCE two piece boxed Signature cue for £4.50 in a charity shop. That made up for the frustration of not being able to buy proper garnet shellac and having to buy Rustins pre mixed stuff.

ATB

Tom

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Very posh.

(And lucky you for having the space!)

I havent found much of late but I did get a particularly nice piece which though it needed a new strap (A bit of leather, a copper rivet and about 5 mins of my time) will be a suprise for the delectation of the Mooters.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oh aye, makes the rest of the room look like the squalid workshop come doss house come storeroom it is! It was much cheaper than buying one new that would have been made of MDF covered in veneer. You can by solid wood ones new but that would have been a four figure sum and I would have never got to play on it as herself would have run me over as soon as she googled what it had cost....

Luckily they never converted the top weaving shed into accommodation so when we got the place it was still one giant barn like expanse. It's a grand family come workshop room and once I've made a false top for it the pool table will make a great cutting out table and stand for the lads wargames board.

I hope tha shows off your mystery find after the moot, for us poor schmucks who won't be going?

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well that was different. Went for a mooch around the Accy flea and came home with over a hundred boxes of Holo-krone BA socket screws in many, many sizes for £20. Ok I've binned some already as all rusty but the majority are not and when I get really bored I will sort them properly. Only yesterday the middle son was asking if I pad any grub screws and I had not a one. The guy selling them ( he's my usual tool man on this market, ) was stoned out of his gourd and talked himself down from 25. Usefully all my small taps and dies are BA, saying that there may be Whitworths etc mixed in I've not read the label on every box.

Just looked at Ebay and they pay mad amounts for packets of 10 of some of these so I may get my money back as these are boxes of 100 to 200 depending on the size. Come to think of it there's two boxes of Mamod parts in the storage room, got thinking the boys would like to make steam engines but they never were so inclined. May as well get shut of those as well and buy some shiny bushy stuff.

Atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well although it still needs the base repolishing and it's not quite in its final position the pool table is together and has been leveled off. The floors so uneven ( after 200 plus years so would I be! ) that even with the feet levellers screwed to the max and minimum it took a lot of packing with thin squares of ply to get it right. When it's finally in its place I'll do a proper job with squares of veneer bewteen the ply to get it spot on. I'm really chuffed with it, well worth the shoe box of vac form plane kits it cost! I had a nice bonding moment playing with the eldest after everyone else was abed. Thankfully we are equally crap at it so no one whitewashed anyone!.

it occurred to me rather than buy some thick marine ply like a did for the last two false tops I did I could get a charity shop table and just use the top of that. Wouldn't be hard to refinish the top or to put padded mounting blocks underneath it.

ATB

tom

pedrodog66

Jun 9, 2014
Dalgety Bay
Now back to pushing a 18" plane plate up and down a 30 odd inch strip of oily garnet paper clamped to a sheet of glass. It's getting there, would do as is but I may as well get it to my liking, the couple of deep scratches I'll probably never get rid of without losing a silly amount of metal. The sides won't take long at all and the rests ready to be slapped back on.

Hey Tom
If your trying to flatten the plane sole plate it should really be done when fully assembled with the cap iron holding the chip breaker and iron in place (although retracted behind the plane mouth). Apparently the action of the cap iron can contort the sole plate so if flattened without it fitted there is a good chance it won't be as flat as it could be. Sorry if you already know this but have just come across this thread am in awe of your finds! Just starting to re-do all my chisels and planes to fine tune them so when I read this I thought I would add my tuppence worth. Carry on the fantastic hunting!!!:)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I did not know that at all, I'll slap the metal parts back on ( they have been cleaned up for years ) as you describe. It's been sitting on the glass for a week or two now as I've had other things taking a priority so I'd got no further with it and I've not touched the other new ones yet.

Thanks!

Tom

pedrodog66

Jun 9, 2014
Dalgety Bay
No bother, I was like yourself, flattening them without the blade but read or saw video reports of established tool 'tuners' doing it this way saying that the cap iron when clamped in place puts a twist on the sole plate so needs to be in place for accurate flat planing!

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
I'll try through Flickr!!

Paid a tenner for this smashing 3/8" drive socket set!!

28432122831_6f59579f9d_b.jpg
[/URL]CK socket set by johnbaz77, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yay!!

27894405193_22fb5f657c_b.jpg
[/URL]Infantry watches by johnbaz77, on Flickr[/IMG]

£2 each for the watches!!

Fiver for the geetar!!

28432119421_7a12f162be_b.jpg
[/URL]Falcon 'Strat'!! by johnbaz77, on Flickr[/IMG]

And a fiver for the Fishing seat/box!!

28432120181_70f8876013_b.jpg
[/URL]Fishing seat/Tackle box by johnbaz77, on Flickr[/IMG]

28226544920_9ab44be0bc_b.jpg
[/URL]Discovery fishing seat/box by johnbaz77, on Flickr[/IMG]

27894403503_b5b5920a39_b.jpg
[/URL]Fishing tackle box/seat by johnbaz77, on Flickr[/IMG]

Also bought a Fujifilm 10.2mp camera for 50p just for the 8GB SD card that was inside, I got owned as it was a very old 8MP card, a dozen pics on it and one song and it was full!! :p

Anyone else been??

John :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nice scores! I didn't get anywhere Saturday or Sunday as I was visiting a mate over in Notts, got no kip for two nights due to the heat and slept most of Monday catching up.

Also wasted a vast amount playing pool so I've not got much making or messing done at all. I'd did just now clean the Aladdin No. 23, fill the tank with filtered parafin and fit and burn in the mantle that arrived today. After leaving the wick to soak up I lit her and after 10 mins on low to make sure everything warmed up nicely turned her up.

image.jpg1_zpsjhlwgy2s.jpg

the lights lovely and soft and best of all there was very little smell. I'm rather chuffed with it and it was worth the effort ! Say 24 quid including fuel to buy and get running.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Beautiful, keep the wick trimmed so the chimney doesn't soot up.
We had some in the lakeside cottage when I was a kid. They would sweat some kero smell in hot weather.
Power cuts in violent Tstorms were common, always looked forward to lighting them for that yellow warmth.
Thanks for the memories!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I don't have the official Aladdin wick trimmer but I did, mistaking them for candle snuffers, pick up a pair of wick trimming scissors for parafin lamps once. Look like scissors with a receptacle on the bottom blade that catches all the snipped off bits. It came with a new wick fitted ( no sign of burning anyway ) so it should last a while..

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I can buy new wick and several sizes of glass chimneys, 2 hrs west in the city.
Mom taught us kids to use scissors for trim and do the bare minimum when necessary.
My bedside table lamp is a BIG & fancy oil lamp base which was drilled out and fitted for an electrical fixture.
LED bulbs are as cold as ice at any color temp.

Your lamp is an absolute thing of beauty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE