More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well there's still work to do like pulling the panel pins out, trimming the pieces and using the belt sander to remove the stain on some of it but we are dead chuffed with the amount of good wood we got for £25. There's three grades for want of a better term the top, draw fronts and visible frame are highly figured quarter sewn oak, the two shelves and non visible from the the front frame are some other hardwood that's been stained a dark oak colour, it will sand off easy enough and I'll ask if any of you folk can identify it. There's also a large amount of ply with oak on the exteriors, some bits that had been glued or pegged through broke so when the small nails/ pins are all gone well trim them on the band saw. There's loads of projects I can now be getting on with, especially when I pick up the 160 x 8mm planed European oak boards a local flooring place ( well local to Colne ) is doing.

The boxes etc I want to copy all measured out at about a third of a inch by some strange coincidence so I decided to standardise on 8 mm. Where thicker is required like for some of the fancy lids I'll use the wood we have just processed.

atb

Tom

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Good to see you recycling old furniture. Much cheaper than buying new hardwood (very expensive now), often of much better quality and reusing 'unwanted' pieces of old furniture reduces the need to harvest new timber so win win all round.
Now if you went to a reclamation yard to source the timber you'd still be looking at a hefty bill ( the prices reclamation yards charge these days is staggering) but sourcing it from charity shop furniture is definietely the way to go if you can be bothered to strip it down yourself.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A good idea

I found a similar wardrobe in a skip, gave me several nice pieces for snazzing up the house.

(And some nice brass coathooks)

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Nice one Tengu - even cheaper than the charity shop option and saved some useable timber from going to landfill which is worse than just chopping it up for kindling.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Here's the last buys cleaned up where required, the chisels needed nowt doing to them, not even sharpening. The nail lifter and pin hammer (?) were rusty and the wood filthy, I'll give them a few more coats of Danish oil

image.jpg1_zpsje6u2dmh.jpg

The router plane just needed some tarnish rubbing off with a garryflex block, a bit on the base and the three cutters. I've wanted one of those for years, not used one since school , about '85.

The log dogs would have been a quid each if the chap hadn't thrown them in free when herself bought the boxed stuff in a not uncommon fit of affection towards me.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, today I was mostly cleaning up the wood from the charity shop chest of draws
i'm leaving the sanding off of the wood stain until I actual use it as I may be planing it to a certain thickness.

image.jpg1_zpsh1tke1u1.jpg

Although I'm known for my inability to identify wood I'm pretty sure that it's all hardwood, it's all very heavy. The top is I think 2 x 8" x 3/4" x 36" and 1 x 2.5" x 3/4" x 36" quarter sawn oak boards. The two draw fronts are the same highly figured wood but a inch thick by 6.5" wide after I'd trimmed out the slot for the draw bottom . There are four screw holes on each but I'll work around or plug them. Since I'll be exclusively making small stuff like tinder boxes it's not a problem and I did save all but the smallest pieces of the bits I suspected to be oak. Where it would have been just plain daft to cut it out I've left the odd pin hole. Push comes to shove I'll fill em.

The draw sides look a lot like the fronts and the lids but without the patterning but the draw backs, stained shlelves from the cupboard part and structural bits from the back are from this stuff. The planks at the bottom that is. I noted that they used brass screws on all the bits I think are oak

image.jpg2_zpsdm8mjjoj.jpg

Anyone able to tell me what that stuff is please? It's all good strong stuff that took quite delicate concealed dovetails so I know it works well. Just curious really. Ash?

Theres also a so a large amount of the ply you see the edges of in the very bottom of the last pic. It should be good for small boxes, templates and what have you.

Atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It does doesn't it? I think it's a case of fancy quarter sawn stuff for the front and top and cheaper cuts for the rest but still oak. That's made my day that has!

It must have been a aesthetic choice to stain bits darker, I'd jumped to the conclusion that they were using a completely different cheaper wood.

Now to dig out the working drawings I did from the measurements from various museums and see if I can the photos that go with.

Cheers!

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hit the Accy Flea, mainly got non tool stuff but picked up some really good quality sand paper , 50 sheets for 3 quid ( may see if he still has the other three packs next week) a 2 1/4 inch brace bitt ( Warley , not a firm I recall) just needed derustinf and the edge touching up ) and a rather nice smalll pair of J.W, Ward Sheffield tin snips. Needed derusting and the rivet tightening a little bit.

The hammer is marked Warrented Cast Steel a unreadable maker and Sheffield. Weighs 1lb 6oz. £1.50 in a charity shop. I cleaned it and polished the faces. I know what I'll use it for but anyone know what that type / style was intended for?

image.jpg1_zps4abfxydk.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nice score and a vastly underrated tool. Boots are always full of them so you can take your pick and not have to faff about cleaning them up.

The screwdriver bits are worth picking up, you can apply some real pressure on rusted in screws

atb

Tom

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Cheers.been to booty again this weekend.very tempted by a large bench vise for 35 quid.
I picked up an inverter yesterday for a quid.ideal for charging my drill batteries on the move

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I picked up a Spyderco UK pocket penknife off of my regular Saturday carboot sale. The guy asked £5 for it. It is in excellent condition and I will treasure it as one-off my everyday carries.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE