More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nice scores!

I didnt get to a boot this Sunday and the Wednesday flea in Accrington just supplied a small gents saw for 50p which cleaned up ok but nowt to boast about. Saturday I blew two quid on what I think is a basketry tool, see lowest below

imagejpg1_zps904f447c.jpg

The other two I saved from being thrown out at work back when I had a government job along with stuff like boxes of HMSO sealing wax but I digress. The new one has what looks like a deliberate gentle S bend in the tip, if I'm wrong its just bent i'll hammer it back to shape, which is why I think its for basketry.

imagejpg2_zps27e62c18.jpg

Any thoughts folks?

atb

Tom

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Wow.you got some great tools there.It must be much better than my local carboot.
Look great when you've clean them upgoodjob

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
With rubbish weather forecast for tomorrow (so no car boots ) and myself looking peaky, it would seam, herself took me for a run out to Colne to see the tool shop in the market hall.

Anyroad she splashed out on a set of bronze and boxwood leather stamps / brands, letters and numbers, to mark the household leather bits with, a very nice font, no makers mark and the box needs some TLC but not something we could merit buying new/full price

imagejpg1_zps6ffc6c53.jpg

I picked up some Valor wicks on the off chance I ever get the things they fit on as they were 50p a pop. The big no. 34 Jacobs chuck with the morse taper was a mistake, not a biggy at £5 as I'll get that back on eBay, as it is too wide to go on the morse tapered spindle on the Myford wood lathe., as it turns out. A bit of bummer but my other two finds are compensation enough as its things I've been looking fo for a while. A bunch of spoon bits for my brace to do up ( the lot was £7 ) and best of all a a totally unused no. 043 Record plough plane. For £20. Since I'm going to be making some sliding lid boxes in the near future this is a great find. He had another bigger plough / combination plane also unused with a pre decimal price written on it that I was tempted by but I didn't want to push my luck with herselfs generosity!

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finally, after 6 or 7 years I got around to finishing the restoration of 8 I Sorby incannal gooseneck gouges I got with the pattern makers chest.

imagejpg1_zpsae904892.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsee407189.jpg

I'd derusted them a few years back but the cutting edges had Ben such a mess that with no embed ate need I kept putting off doing them. However in a mammoth 4 day effort to sharpen and where required repro file all my wood working knives and chisel/gouges (90 + of the suckers) I got them done, sanded down the handles and soaked them in linseed oil.

im retry pleased with them now. I'm still not absolutely sure when I'll use them. Handles are box wood.

atb

tom

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There was a load of incannel gouges in my local tool sales place a few years ago.
Can't remember if they were Marples or Sorby now.
I figured a patternmaker had died and he got the tools as part of a house clearance.

Was very tempted and the price was good but I wouldn't have used them for much and it would be a waste.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yeah, I must amit I wouldn't have bought them on their own but since I got them in a job lot it would have been shame not to do them up as well. The hand made tools in the chest were all date stamped 1956 so I assume most of the tools which had slots in the chest were bought about then and the guy made the chest as part of his apprenticeship. In fact I think there's only two bits to sort, a couple of planes which I lready have as new examples of. I could spend ages with wet and dry stuff to some tin bath glass to clench up the bases but ill get them skimmed by the nice chap at Colne Tools.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Again not a carboot as such but the second hand tool stall in Colne market

image.jpg1_zpsdx0zofsr.jpg

The plane has a pre decimal price on the box andit and looks unused. There's the odd chip where the parts have rattled together in the box that's all. I was chuffed to bits to get it. The guy had found some more of the leather brands/stamps, punctuation marks this time so that must be a pretty full set. £5 .

The pliers are Maun parallel jaw ones, like ones I've had before but with the spike attached which is missing from th other pair. I've still no idea what they are for, but they are good quality and were £2. The books I got from the next stall, a bargain bundle. The sops stone pot was 50p and ill fille a notch into it to hold a wick.

Nnot a massive haul but good enough.

atb

Tom

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
The parallel pliers I've seen before I'm sure my dad or my uncle who was a mechanic had some Im sure

Sent from somewhere?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The wife paid £35 for it, I wasn't supposed to know as it was a present but I overheard him knocking it down from 45 as she always makes a fuss of him and we "are good customers". They still make them under the Irwin Record brand name, but somewhere on the Pacific Rim and they don't review well quality wise. The chap said these were 57 years old although I'm not quite sure how he knows unless the guy he bought them off told him I suppose.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A while back I picked up a old Record No. 4 plane for I think it was £4. Anyroad, I finally got around to sorting it out. A complete strip, de rusting and several hours pushing the bottom plate up and down various grades of oily wet and dry on top of a sheet of tin float glass and bobs your uncle.

image.jpg1_zpsolext86g.jpg

Since the Tormek was set up after sharpening the blade I hauled out the other planes, sharpened them, cleaned them and got rid of the odd scratch .

The other No. 4 has been a disappointment, I got it in a hurry as Footprint was closing down and the quality control had gone to pot so I've wanted a good quality Jack for a while.

The 4th along is a monstrosity I made as a A level project, a hybrid that could also be used as a block plane. A daft idea but it got me a trip to the Record foundry / factory at Attercliffe in Sheffield, a guided tour and some freebie parts.

i also restored everything except the actual base plate on a big old Stanley No. 6 bailey I got with the pattern makers chest years ago. I had hoped my tool guy in Colne would skim the bottom and sides with his milling machine but he said they were too thin. So now I have to scrounge a long piece of float glass and recycle a broken sanding belt to make a perfectly flat filing surface to get rid of the pits and scratches.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finally, after 6 or 7 years I got around to finishing the restoration of 8 I Sorby incannal gooseneck gouges I got with the pattern makers chest.

imagejpg1_zpsae904892.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsee407189.jpg

I'd derusted them a few years back but the cutting edges had Ben such a mess that with no embed ate need I kept putting off doing them. However in a mammoth 4 day effort to sharpen and where required repro file all my wood working knives and chisel/gouges (90 + of the suckers) I got them done, sanded down the handles and soaked them in linseed oil.

im retry pleased with them now. I'm still not absolutely sure when I'll use them. Handles are box wood.

atb

tom

Had a bit of spare time so used a piece of the upholstery leather to make a case for the goosenecks

image.jpg1_zpsa9kynsk4.jpg

Need to make another for the Marples turning gouges.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finally got around to derusting a bunch of brace bits I got for £7

image.jpg2_zps3f7scyan.jpg

I'll work out which are worth restoring and sharpening now.

For a quid fifty I got a bunch of bits of scrap and old gauges to use as mandrels for bending wire around.

image.jpg3_zpssdx0tdj2.jpg

So I derusted them as well and a few old bits I hadn't looked after.

atb

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well my surplus guy forgot the box of forge tools :( But there was some bits worth picking up.

image.jpg1_zpsbcmvpndo.jpg

Herself paid £6 for all the pulleys ( why I don't know ) and 2 for the tongs, the rest were 50p a pop. There won't be a after pic for. Fe dys as I've stained what ever it is at the base of my right thumb. Can't even hold a spoon so had the indignity of eating left handed and spilling. Large proportion of my dinner! It's a recurring thing I get ever since about '91 when I was sledging a rock apart and made. Bondage of my grip. It will wear off in a day or two.

ATB

Tom

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats a good deal. I came home with some books, a bundle of lacemakers bobbins in various woods and designs, (no beads) an encaustic hot iron and a banjo (for those of you who are not Cornish, a banjo is a small shovel for tight quarters, handy thing to have.) which is not. (I mean it is a banjo handle and a regular cornish shovel head...but that could be cut down.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE